Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Any one heard of the Balinese artist 'Patra' ?

Pages: 1 4 replies

My wife picked these up in Ubud, Bali back in the seventies. Thought you may be interested.

Apols for the lousey pics. Its been a bit chilly here, I blame the fog cutters.

She cant recall who did the others, perhaps someone can assist?

Unfinished:

K

Yes - she was married for many years to the artist Van Ruel.

Sorry, couldn't resist that. I thought perhaps you were actually referring to the artist "Patric" who worked in both Hawaii and Java, but the style is very different. No help from me.

K

Actually, the first two could be by Patric - I got confused by the remaining paintings in such a different style. Are you sure the signature is Patra?

I can't find any Patric images via Google to check the signature. She painted the portraits of Ali'i that are in Kawaiahao Church in Honolulu, but I've also seen Tyree-like paintings of nude native women by her.

I think the Kawaiahao portraits are from the 60's or 70's, so the time frame is right.

Koolau, thanks for posting.

Patra was a man - I'll look up Patric.

I met Patra in Ubud in the mid 80's. I wanted to buy more of his stuff but he had nothing available at the time.

Wish I'd gotten more from the Balinese wood carvers as well, sigh.....

On 2008-09-02 00:00, Koolau wrote:
Yes - she was married for many years to the artist Van Ruel.

Sorry, couldn't resist that. I thought perhaps you were actually referring to the artist "Patric" who worked in both Hawaii and Java, but the style is very different. No help from me.

Finally, some information on Van Ruel. At least a starting point! Thanks for the help, I really, really appreciate it!

Nice paintings you have there. Thanks for sharing!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I really appreciate it)!

Pages: 1 4 replies