Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego Tiki events?

Pages: 1 28 replies

As a newbie to the TC I thought I would ask if there is a San Diego TC event any time during the year. How many San Diego County members do we have at TC?

By the way, I have really enjoyed perusing endless hours through the hundreds of posts on a topic (tiki) that is near and dear to me. Most of my freinds think its just weird.

Glad to have found a peer group.

Monkeyman,
The last San Diego event we had was a Mini-Crawl consisting of Cocktails at The Lagoon Room, Dinner at The Islands restaurant at the Hanalei Hotel and Drinks at The Bali Hai on Shelter Island. This was back in December of last year (2002). I finished the weekend with my family with breakfast at the Half Moon Bay/Humphries before an afternoon at Sea World (they have a section full of A-Frames and a gift shop packed with Tiki Farm stuff).

The last SD event I can think of prior to this one was called "Tiki Talk" at the Bali Hai. This event consisted of a Shelter Island Tiki Tour as well as a slide presentation by Sven Kirsten and small exhibition by Tiki Bosko. This event was something like 2 years ago (I think).

I was talking to Al (of alnshely) a couple of weeks ago regarding The Islands Restaurant in the Hanalei Hotel and there's a feeling that it won't be open much longer. As such, I think a San Diego Tiki weekend is definitely in order for the near future. Itinerary could consist of Shelter Island Tour (Half Moon Bay/Humphries, Trader Mort's, Bali Hai, and various Polynesian Structures) and of course The Islands Restaurant before its final meeting with the wrecking ball.

I know that Al and I also talked about getting together for the annual Oceanside Luau at the pier. Not sure what month its in but it should be sometime around the summer.

HH

oooo san diego crawl!

Uh-oh, I don't think I can resist!

especially as I have friends I can stay with in San Diego; it'll be a low-overhead drunken revel!!!

Just say when...

I would love to do a San Diego tour but can we please just get through the OC, Vegas, and Palm Springs things first? Those events are gonna make me broke and in need of rehab. Plus, don't you have some kids or something Pop? They've been asking me about you.

In a drunken stupor at SF Crawl, Pop confessed to us that he sold his kids into slavery to pay for all these events! Win-win here: cash to crawl, and no kids to find a babysitter for!

:tiki:

ps: Your wife misses you, Pop!

Hey Poly Pop,

The tiki in your signature section looks like a dick head!

Hey, your kids are up on ebay.

Gee thanks Bong... now I've gotta change it. I had to change my sig because the old image was zapped (along with my webpage) for direct linking.

Bastards -- between my sig and a few images on my eBay About Me page, the bandwidth had to be close to nothing.

And so, Dickhead Moai it is for now...

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-13 09:14 ]

T
Thor posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2003 11:15 AM

I am up for a mini-crawl in San Diego sometime in the spring/summer. I have to move to New York soon, and there are plenty of tikithingies here in San Diego that I have yet to see.

My two cents,
Thor

T

If the Islands is threatened with closing soon than that's reason enough to visit my folks and revisit the Islands! Let's plan something.

T

I totally understand the money problem of attending all these events! I won't be able to attend Palm Springs or the Hukilau due to a series of car problems that has put me in a financial bind. But I wouldn't miss Las Vegas next month for anything!

San Diego is much cheaper than Palm Springs or Las Vegas. Flights from the Bay Area are about $70 RT and lodging deals can be found. The Hanalei can cost over $100 a night but there are much cheaper lodgings right near it.

Well, I should be living in San diego area in about 7 months (if all goes according to plans) so maybe I'll be in time for the 2nd San diego crawl...count me in :wink:

Ran

Yep, San Diego's a cheap date in some respects. But if you want to rent a car and buy gas while your here, bring money. As far as SD mini crawl goes, things are pretty centralized here...you go to Shelter Island taking Rosecrans to Byron St left and your in the heart of San Diego tiki country. After that the only place left to go is the Hanalei in Mission Valley about 10 miles east. And as long as you've made it that far, you might as well go the extra 5 miles and you'll be at my place, the tiny hamlet of San Carlos.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-03-15 02:41 ]

don't forget albie's beef inn for some history.

Just bringing up the idea of a San Diego Tiki Crawl again. How does February/March sound? It's far enough in the future that most people haven't made plans yet, it's long enough after the holidays that peoples wallets have recovered, and the weather here will still be better than most of the country.

For Restaurants/Bars to go to there's the Bali Hai, Mr. Tiki, the Islands Restaurant at the Hanalei. For Hotels to stay at there's Humphrey's Half Moon Inn or the Hanalei. There are a number of TCers with home bars in the area that may like to host a stop on the tour. There's also Trader Mort's Liquor store and other places of interest on Shelter Island; the San Diego Tiki Bike Tour; a possible Mira Mesa Hawaiian Plate Lunch/Spam Musubi crawl (hey, someone might want to go with me!); the beautiful tropical gardens in the Zoo & Balboa Park; several Tiki/bamboo/tropical-themed stores in the county; and lots of friendly TCers!

M
Moki posted on Tue, Sep 28, 2004 2:53 PM

Sounds good to me. The new and improved 'OnaTiki lounge should be done by then and we can be a stop on the crawl.

We also have one, and maybe by then, two guest rooms to offer.

:drink:

T

Ok Freddie it all sounds GREAT so which weekend are you thinking man so I can mark it on the calendar?

M

TIKI EVENT... SAN DIEGO... Hey, I live in the San Diego area!!!! Count me in!

D

if you start a mailing list, please put me on it!

[email protected]

we often visit san diego and would definitely like to join the festivities!

Are the rumours regarding Islands closing still swirling? I stopped by this past weekend and, happily, it remains relatively intact. However, the hotel was not crowded.

Freddiefreelance,

What is the tiki bike tour?

Is that lying to the staff at the Half Moon Inn to use their bikes to cruise around Shelter Island (like I did)?

On 2004-09-28 19:19, christiki295 wrote:
Are the rumours regarding Islands closing still swirling? I stopped by this past weekend and, happily, it remains relatively intact. However, the hotel was not crowded.

Freddiefreelance,

What is the tiki bike tour?

Is that lying to the staff at the Half Moon Inn to use their bikes to cruise around Shelter Island (like I did)?

The San Diego Tiki Bike Tour is in PB (Pacific Beach), it's run by Marc Menkin ((858) 488-2209, I think). It's just one of many Tiki related activities in San Diego that people can do when not sitting in Tiki Bars inbibing rum-based concoctions.

On 2004-09-28 14:53, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Ok Freddie it all sounds GREAT so which weekend are you thinking man so I can mark it on the calendar?

So far I'm just throwing the idea out, I may not even be able to attend depending on when we have our Gran'Daughter for the weekend! I just wanted to start the dialog right now so that people could say "The third weekend of March is bad, that's 'Tiki Torch Nights' in Atlanta" or "The last Thursday of the month is Tiki Taix & people may want to go there & then travel down to San Diego on Friday." I know March 27th is Johnnie Velour's anniversary & I wouldn't want to step on their toes by saying that weekend. I'd say the last weekend of February or the first 2 weekends in March, unless there's an overwhelming response to move it to the beginning of April (According to SugarCaddyDaddy's Hoity-Toity Calendar the last weekof April includes "Martini & Manicure Night" at the Purple Orchid, the Tiki-Ti's 43rd anniversary, & Tiki Taix! Sounds like a good time for an LA event, hint, hint).

Like I said at the top of the previous paragraph I may not even be able to attend: as much as I'd like to see an SD Tiki Crawl happen my family, & especially my Gran'Daughter, comes first. I wanted to start the dialog, & I'll be glad to help anyway I can with planning, organizing & set-up, but at the last minute I may have to drive up to Pomona & spend the weekend in LA playing with an almost-2-year-old. There are plenty of Hoity-Toities in SD, OC & LA with experience running something like this & I'll have to defer to them to run this show.

Count me in.

Curiously I've got a lot things inked in for Jan, but it's absolutely clear for Feb and Mar -- let's do it!

Hey.... San Diego TIKI crawl.. Sounds like a great time..
The last event we went to in San Diego was for the opening of Mr Mia Tai's tiki lounge, we had a great time and a lot of TCcers showed up.. count us in...

S

Having moved from the south bay to san diego, we are definitley in.

On 2003-03-12 20:31, PolynesianPop wrote:
Monkeyman,
The last San Diego event we had was a Mini-Crawl consisting of Cocktails at The Lagoon Room, Dinner at The Islands restaurant at the Hanalei Hotel and Drinks at The Bali Hai on Shelter Island.

I finished the weekend with my family with breakfast at the Half Moon Bay/Humphries before an afternoon at Sea World (they have a section full of A-Frames and a gift shop packed with Tiki Farm stuff).

I know that Al and I also talked about getting together for the annual Oceanside Luau at the pier - sometime around the summer.

Great events! Here's another weekend suggestion:

FRIDAY - CITY:

PB Tiki Bike ride day.

Rendezvous at the Moai poolside at the Hanalei;

Exotic drinks and pupus inside at Islands; then

Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge in the Gaslamp.

SATURDAY-SHELTER ISLAND

Rendezvous at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn in the tiki gardens (the hotel would have to set up a bar & tiki torches);

Meander past the Menehune fence and amazing A-frame architecture to Trader Morts (group photo between the tiki and tiki torches);

Exotic drinks and pupus back at the Bali Hai;

Past the tremendous A-Frame portal at Humphrey's - dancing to MaKai disco band
(Maybe they will let the King, Cherry Capri & others perform, also)

SUNDAY - HOME BAR TOURS

This works particularly well on a 3 day weekend such as President's Day or MLK day.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-09-29 19:38 ]

I'm pretty much down with the schedule except I think we should pay a visit to Albee's Beef Inn for a taste of the classic "businessman's 3 martini lunch" cocktail lounge experience (it's pracically right across the freeway from the Hanalei). It's the perfect place to order a Manhatten, push your hat back, loosen your tie and bask in the rays of '60's rat pack cool!

On 2004-09-30 00:49, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
I'm pretty much down with the schedule except I think we should pay a visit to Albee's Beef Inn for a taste of the classic "businessman's 3 martini lunch" cocktail lounge experience (it's pracically right across the freeway from the Hanalei). It's the perfect place to order a Manhatten, push your hat back, loosen your tie and bask in the rays of '60's rat pack cool!

Many people will probably prefer to lounge in Rat Pack coolness then pedal their butts around PB. If people like the above posted schedule, there could be a choice of meeting at Albee's for 3 martini lunching or the Tiki Bike Tour before meeting the people who come later in front of the Moai in the Hanalei.

San Diego Crawl?
I'm in! :D

Pages: 1 28 replies