Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

.... So I made a portable Tiki Bar.... cheap!

Pages: 1 10 replies

J

I had a big event this past weekend in Hampton, NH- a block Party. I offered to serve Mai Tais (Trader Vic's Original Recipe) from a Tiki Bar, as an added attraction to the event. The organizers all loved the idea; so... I had to make a Tiki Bar. I roughed up a quick concept, then ran around on Friday Morning and bought the raw stock. By Sunday evening at 9pm - I served 325 $8 Mai Tais at my new Tiki Bar! I built the Tiki Bar on the cheap, and here it is!

6 2x 4's for basic frame
1 sheet of Luan Plywod for front and sides
1 sheet of birch Plywood for bar top and inside shelf
2 10'- 4 inch pvc
1 10'- 1 1/2 inch pvc
1 home depot matschstick blind window shade
a scrap of plywood cut into a googie diamond and "torched"
2 cheap ass Rite-aid Luau Umbrellas - 75% off end of summer sale
1 quart amber shellac
1 pint latex poly

Yup - the Bamboo is just pvc...! I used the fake bamboo method of heating , compressing and painting, and shellacing, and poly-ing from 'pariartspaul' thread-
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6800&forum=7&hilite=fake%20bamboo
I also designed the bar to be completely portable, as it breaks down into 5 major pieces!
aloha!

Well done Jon!!!!

J

Wow! That's impressive! I totally thought that was real bamboo! Great job on the whole bar!

S

cool! I'm a fan.

That looks way better than a lot of the kit bars available!

John,

Awesome job!! What was your total cost? How bout some pics of it broken down..

Yup, I want to make one..

Cheers!

Rick

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 5:04 AM

Looks great. Love to see some 'packed up' shots too :D

Good stuff, Jon! That's sweet.

T

325, 325! make drink take cash and still you pumped out 325, 325!

Glad you guys like it. I will take some shots of the individual pieces - its kinda stacked against the walls of my apt at the moment.
'Hewey' - doesn't actually 'pack up' - it just simply breaks down into 5 easily manageable sections, but can't actually 'sling it over my shoulder'
'TikiLaLe' - yes more than 300 and less than 350. I premixed the orgeat, Orange Curacoa, and lime juice (I actually used a self made lime mix rather than fresh squeezed lime juice/ I know thats a hack) As a result I was reaching for only three bottles - I did shake each drink however and squeeze a lime and most of the time added a pre-opened umbrella and gave a free flower lei. The party ran from 1:30pm to 10:30 pm - My 'bar' had a line 12 deep at times and I often made 3 drinks at a time. I literally was non stop and didn't even take a sip of water unti about 6:30 pm. People the next day kept telling me "they felt bad for me".
As far as the cash - Drink coupons were presold at a table where the attendees were ID'd, braceleted and given a souvenir event cup! Made it much easier (But kind of messes with the tipping potential) :( Believe me it was very hard work.
A pic early in the day before the crowds came, with a line for Mai Tais

and some of my satisfied customers (don't worry the drinks weren't orange - the souvenir cups were mood cups they changed from frosted clear to various colors with the cold liquid in them)

A lot of empty cups keep shakin Jon!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2008-09-03 11:45 ]

Hey Jon,

Just bumping up this thread. It's summer time and I'd love to make something like this. Hopefully you'll get a chance to bring the bar back out. If you do, can you take some break down shots? I've seen the bar in person, still can't believe it was PVC and wood.

Cheers!

Rick

Pages: 1 10 replies