Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Risky Lunar Love - Tiki /Space-Age Musical

Pages: 1 9 replies

I

This theatre show looks like it could be lots of fun, as it combines elements of space-age science fiction and tiki. It opens September 15 - in Sydney, Australia.

The show's webpage looks fantastic! Some of the sample clips feature space aliens who look like a cross between Marina the Mermaid and Barbarella
http://www.riskylunarlove.com/

Luke Milton's RISKY LUNAR LOVE, is a fun and irreverent new musical comedy, set to captivate audiences with the story of a sexy alien invader who manipulates the desires of two arch rival science-fiction writers in a bid to destroy our planet and colonise a new one!

Fresh from it's interstate hit season, award-winning Director John Sheedy (Blasted; Unidentified Human Remains; Some Explicit Polaroid's), Musical Director Ross Johnston (Machine Gun Fellatio), Designer Gypsy Taylor (Baz Lurhman's Australia; Superman Returns; Chronicles of Narnia) and highly acclaimed choreographer John O'Connell (Strictly Ballroom, Moulin Rouge, Shall We Dance, Matrix revolution, Rocky Horror Show, 2008 Academy Awards) will unleash Risky in its premiere Sydney season, transforming Carrigeworks Bay 20 theatre into a Tiki wonderland, cabaret styled, Mai-Tai masterpiece!

C

Green Chicks are so HOT! That looks like it will be a lot of fun!

I

Here are some excerpts form an article about the show. I am impressed that the live band will perform while wearing fluorescent skeleton suits.

*It's a cross between Star Wars and The Muppet Show, incorporates Polynesian kitsch and provokes an "oh my god, they can't say that stuff" response from its audience, according to its producer. Welcome Risky Lunar Love to the musical stage.

"It's very hard to simply define," says producer Oliver Wenn. "It's a tiki sci-fi musical, so it takes all the elements of '50s pop cult, such as grass skirts, hula girls, mai tais . . . mixed with sci-fi culture, Family Guy, South Park, all those naff robots." Before passing too much judgment, however, Wenn adds that it's an "absolutely piss-funny musical"."The story is officially: sexy alien invader manipulates the desires of two rival science-fiction writers in a bid to destroy our planet and colonise a new one," Wenn says succinctly. The multiple storylines include the Venus Girls, who are searching for sperm to procreate a new planet.

It provokes the question: is this just a bizarre realisation of every teenage boy's fantasy?

"Absolutely," Wenn says, explaining that the market is generation X and Y.

Johnson has created 17 tracks from an original score by Brent Hill. "The music is at once rock'n'roll, as it is lounge, as it is '50s tiki, as it is Jailhouse Rock," says Wenn, continuing his list by breaking out into a number of different tunes like a human jukebox. A live band - including a saxophonist, marimba player, drummer, bassist, lead guitarist and keyboards player - performs on the night in fluorescent skeleton suits.

It complements an equally crazy wardrobe, including the Venus Girls, who wear crazy green make-up, pink curly hair, flashing antennae, silver metallic finishings and killer heels.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 12, 2008 4:26 AM

In the process of trying to line up some folks to go with :D

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Sep 12, 2008 3:48 PM

Could well be keen - the wife and I were reading that Herald writeup last week and it sounded pretty good to us. We'll be in Sydney for a few days while it's on and are hoping to get a night out if we can arrange babysitting....might be an opportunity to hook up hewey?

TT

I will be back in Sydney that weekend so I might be able to meet you guys in town too... will keep you posted...

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 13, 2008 7:47 PM

That'd be arrrrrsome :D

K

That looks funny. Post reviews please!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 25, 2008 8:01 PM

Guess what Im seeing tonight :D

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2008 8:12 AM

It was great! Decidely random, some naughty bits, tiki/retro set, great tunes - twas a great night out :D Keen to see it again actually!

Some pics a guy on the forum Im on got:

Tikis & tentacles - are they your thing?

Or maybe a Venus Girl...?

Venus & Kikkoman

Kikkoman & the tiki

Fast & Book

What's a musical without a pirate? (especially a transexual one with a gimp in tow...)

Oh no you don't!

Book, you did it!

Venus, Book & the tiki!

It's an all singing, all dancing, foul talking, rocking night!

Click the thumbnails to enlarge...

Pages: 1 9 replies