Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Best place for tiki drinks in Seattle area, with Trader Vic's gone?

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

Trader Vic's is gone, and busy (and often lazy) me having gotten out there only once. And unfortunately, I'm usually too busy to really read the forums so in-depth that I know all-that-is-Tiki in my area. With that said...

Minus TV's, where else inSeattle carries well-made, interesting Polynesian cocktails? I've been in the Lava Lounge (barely tiki at all) and, though perhaps not the best move, I've not checked most of the local Chinese places, expecting that (like my beloved Louie's Cuisine of China in Ballard) they got rid of the cool drinks years ago. And I know of a few Hawaiian places (like Ohana) but I guess I've been assuming that they, if anything, will half-heartedly attempt stuff on the trendy end of (barely) tiki, like Mojitos (EVERY bar has mojitos now, they're apparently a trendy drink) and sticky-sweet faux-Mai Tais. Bleu Bistro, on Broadway, has awesome drinks and aweesome food (and seriously cool decor) and I love it a lot, but I still can't get a Zombie or Mai Tai or anything like that there.

Can I get some votes on who's got the best tiki/Polynesian drinks in the Seattle/Bellevue area? I'm in Renton, but can travel. Votes... anyone...?
Thanks...

~ TorchGuy

C

I am flying to Seattle for a week of roaming tomorrow. Someone told me to check out HulaHula which I guess is close to my hotel in the Belltown area.

Haven't you heard?? There isn't a tiki scene in Seattle... Best drinks in Seattle
on my list are anything at The Rongo Rongo Room and the Voodoo Punch at Monkeyskull's Voodoo
Lounge. Of course if you want the best Blue Hawaiian known to man, stop by and I'll show you
how to mix one up. Cheers!

T

Although not tiki, but they have great drinks with an equally impressive happy hour. Try Dragon Fish. http://www.dragonfishcafe.com/

For a more Tiki drink bar, there is also the Luau Polynesian Lounge
http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=174

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2008-09-08 12:34 ]

MN

I pick The Luau. Although, I was there 10 years ago, prior to my current lack of knowledge of tikiness (in Seattle).
I am glad The Fuzz mentioned it. I knew there was one near a lake.

I like Thirteen Coins too. No tiki.

D

On 2008-09-07 18:18, catmomma wrote:
I am flying to Seattle for a week of roaming tomorrow. Someone told me to check out HulaHula which I guess is close to my hotel in the Belltown area.

hey, you didn't tell anyone! just search on the word "seattle" and stuff will come up.

tell us where you're hanging out, and we'll try to meet up if we can.

H

Zig Zag is supposed to have amazing cocktails - I don't think they have tropicals on their menu, but it sounds like they're pretty passionate about cocktails, and Selector Lopaka told me that he gave them a copy of the Grog Log to keep at the bar. Who knows, if you go on the right night and find a bartender in the mood to indulge you (try a slow night, obviously), you may be able to score a proper Mai Tai.

D

order a "White Lion" at Zig Zag ~ while not listed as a tropical drink, its rum and balanced and if it were in a tiki mug, you'd think.. perfect drink.

ask Melintur to chime in, he's been up here for good cocktails ~

Definitely visit Hula Hula, but don't expect anything more than mediocre tropical drinks. Some other establishments that more often than not serve excellent cocktails -- tropical or otherwise, and it really all depends on the bartender -- you may wish to consider are West 5 and Ama Ama in West Seattle; The Islander, The Bookstore Bar, and Oliver's Martini Bar in downtown Seattle; and May's Restaurant & Lounge in Wallingford (not too far from the Luau). The atmosphere and decor at The Islander, Ama Ama, and, to a much lesser extent (though I love the upstairs dining area) May's Restaurant & Lounge, is on the exotic side.

I'd also have to concede to saying that the best tropical drinks you're likely to taste in Seattle are those made by some of the local home bar owners (most of them non-TCers), who respect traditional recipes and take pride in their drink-making.

W

It's true, Hula Hula has a nice interior (it's no Thatch) but I've never had a good tropical drink there. I stick to beer and wells.

If The Islander ever served a good tropical drink I was never around for it. Since my fourth or so visit I've stuck to beer and wells there, too. (And last time I was there even the beer wasn't good.)

Ama Ama has an interior so swell you'd think it was in Portland. Their drinks menu is creative and on all my visits the people in our group have been very happy with the drinks. (Even the drinks usually preferred by prostitutes.)

West 5 is excellent. Their version of the Mai Tai is one of the more enjoyable tropical drinks I've ever had in a commercial bar, and it's consistently good. West 5's bartenders know their stuff, especially what's-his-name whose been there for some time and can be depended on for a quality drink.

If you actually follow any of this advice, TorchGuy, and visit one of these bars we want to see photographic evidence.

Ama Ama has an interior so swell you'd think it was in Portland. Their drinks menu is creative and on all my visits the people in our group have been very happy with the drinks. (Even the drinks usually preferred by prostitutes.)

It's true, the drinks prostitutes prefer are excellent at Ama Ama..

RB

Hula Hula does have cool mugs, though...

Pages: 1 11 replies