Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Carving in Pearl Shell by Louie the Fish

Pages: 1 6 replies

I was wondering if any of you multi-talented carvers have worked in Pearl or abalone shell, or other shell. I have been carving hooks and fish from shell for over 30 years, so I have learned a few tricks about shell which I would be happy to share with any interested carvers.
Finding shell is also a big problem, and I am constantly on the hunt for big thick shell. Usta be that Black Lip Pearl shell was the most common in large sizes, but harvesting wild shells has been outlawed in many island countries, and only small farm raised black shells are easily available. For large gold shells, the western Pacific is the best area, with great golden color ones coming out of the Solomons and New Guines, but finding a source is hard. For California red abalone, you really need to know someone who dives for them and has a stash they are willing to sell, and it can be very difficult to find abalone that is not riddled with sea worm holes. Anyone got a good source they would like to share?
Here are some pics of my work in shell........Vinaka vaka levu, Louie (Na Ika)

Heres some other ideas I missed out. One is an Opah or Moonfish and shows how you can work with the gold color in Pinctada Maximus if you can get lucky and find a large thick very yellow shell. The albatross is in bone with inlaid bill and feet in gold pearl, and the octopus is pretty much plain pearly shell with no color, and a Tahiti black pearl attached. I suppose I should make a tiki in pearl!!
Anyone got any big shells they want to trade for a carving? Louie (www.louiethefish.com)

T

Hey Louie, love your work. And I'm sure someone here will be helping you shortly.
But in the mean time, get started on your tiki. You have to do one now. :D I'll be watching you to see your progress. PS. love the way you worked the colors out on the pearl.

Beautiful work Louie, welcome to TC

B

3 Awesome pieces Louie, and 3 of my Favorites by you. The Moonfish is Incredible and I Love anything Octopus and the Albatross is Just downright Sleek.
You guys leave any fish for the other guys?
:P

Hi Benzart! I just got back from 2 hours fly fishing in Hawaii Kai, landed two nice bonefish, 4-5 pounds each, on my new TFO Axiom 6 weight rod and my orange fly. Tagged and released both fish, so someone might get lucky and winch those in when they hit double digits!! I cant remember if I ever post any fish pics here, but heres two pics, one with an average size one like i caught today, but taken right in Waikiki with Diamond head in back. The other is a monster 12 pounder caught at a secret spot! Fly fishing rules!! LouieHi Benzart! I just got back from 2 hours fly fishing in Hawaii Kai, landed two nice bonefish, 4-5 pounds each, on my new TFO Axiom 6 weight rod and my orange fly. Tagged and released both fish, so someone might get lucky and winch those in when they hit double digits!! I cant remember if I ever post any fish pics here, but heres two pics, one with an average size one like i caught today, but taken right in Waikiki with Diamond head in back. The other is a monster 12 pounder caught at a secret spot! Fly fishing rules!! Louie
/img]

Phenomenal. Sooooooooo good.
If anyone's close to the source of good shells...IT"S YOU!! I was hoping you'd hook US up! ha ha
What are ya using for the rope necklace material? Sinew? No one talks much about THAT part! You gotta be a keen braider TOO!

ps..We had a shark in the surf lineup today...c'mon and fish him out for us Louie!!

Pages: 1 6 replies