Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Otto's Shrunken Head drink contest!

Pages: 1 21 replies

T

Otto's Shrunken Head drink contest!
WIth musical performance by Fisherman

So you think you're a mixologist extraordinaire?
Here is your chance for Tiki stardom!
Enter the Otto's Shrunken Head drink contest! The winner will have their recipe be part of our Tiki drink menu.
The winner will also be able to name the drink and choose the mug in which it will reside.

Rule/fine print etc.

1. Names and recipes need to be in by Oct 6 2008 so we can get the ingredients
  2. Judging will be Monday Oct. 13 starting at 8pm and will be done by a panel of local Tiki-philes
  3. You MUST be on hand to make the drink
  4. Drinks must be between 12-16 oz. (we have 7 different glasses to choose from)
  5. Original recipes only. Please do not look up a recipe online. One recipe per person please.
  6. Drinks should be fairly simple and cost effective ie: no orchids, hallowed out pineapples, etc.
  7. All ingredients should be easily obtainable, if your drink consists of a syrup that takes your grandmother 5 months to produce in her basement and must be buried in the earth for 6 weeks to age, it won't do.
  8. Please send all entries and inquiries to [email protected]. DO NOT email or PM me at Tiki Central as I don't check it everyday.
    Otto's is at 538 East 14th St. Bet Ave. A & B in NYC

The Winner and all contestants and judges will be treated to a special performance by the amazing Fisherman Vibrophonic Orchestra!

Hey Steve - sounds like a good idea and a lot of fun!

BTW - who are the local tikiphiles on the judging panel?

On 2008-09-08 15:55, leisure master wrote:

BTW - who are the local tikiphiles on the judging panel?

That's what I was wondering, because I thought I knew all 7 of them!

T

Well we can't let that cat out of the bag as they'd be susceptible to all kinds of bribes and influence from all you shifty tiki central types :wink:

T

Judges...those lower east side types!

T

who said they were from the lower east side. . . .

K

What a tiki-terrific idea!
Can't wait to see the judges and who submits recipes.
I wonder if I will know any of them......

And Fisherman on a Monday is always a good thing!
Now if only, we could fly P-5 in from Hawaii!

T

Ooohhh P5's baked goods mmmmmm

T

bump
we haven't gotten many takers yet so I'm bumping this.
come on people your chance at fame is calling!

About 98% of the New York area Tiki Central folks went on the Northeast Tiki Tour this weekend.
They were probably focused on that.
I'll send an email out early next week to see if we can get some involvement!

Sounds groovetastic!

S

D'oh! I'll be in California post SF Crawl.... I'd love to watch a live drink contest!

Suzanne

T

bump for reminder!

So its still on - Steve how many concoctions to be made and what time does the judging start?
its on!

Do spectators get to try the entries also? After Rumfest I think a lot of us are still in tasting mode!

T

start time is 9pm and spectators are welcome to try the drinks "while supplies last" as it were

T

Festivities start at 8:00 not 9:00pm
my bad
We have some tasty recipes!
All very different too! It will be interesting to see who wins.

I had a lot of fun at Otto's tonight. Thanks Steve and Nell for doing this. A big thank you for looking for all my esoteric ingredients! And we got treated to another great set by Fisherman.

Here's what the judges, including our own Sneakyjack had to work through:

Fisherman:

My drink called the "Hearty Pirate Grog" didn't place in the contest, but I won the People's choice award (the new Otto's Shrunken head mug) and some other award (I forgot the name).

Thanks Ottos!

What was the winning drink?

And how about some more photos too if anyone has any!

T

Ruby Jewels is the winning drink!
A cherry, rum concoction!

All the drinks were winners. Since I was judging I couldnt take any snap shots. There was a photog there and he has many pics maybe we can coax Nell into posting them here or link to ottos site.
Overall good times and good to see Fisherman back where it all began (at least for me) - looking forward to the next event for more drinky drinks!

Thanks to the contestants, other judges, fisherman and of course Nell and Steve for making it happen!

"We have to keep meeting like this"

S

So sorry to have missed this! :)

Suzanne

Pages: 1 21 replies