Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Greeting Card

Pages: 1 14 replies

UB

I found this at Long's Drugs yesterday.
You turn the handle (bottom right)and they both start playing their ukes while she sways her skirt, and to the sound of Hawaiian music.
Inside it says' "Have a "hula" lot of fun today!" and has another Tiki on the back.
Hallmark makes them (called Innovations)and other cool versions like the "cocktail party".
It's too good to send, so I bought two.

I bought one too.

Likewise. I thought the music was pretty good for a card you crank. I got the pirate one, too.

I don't have a Long's, who makes the card?

LT

I believe Hallmark makes these; I picked one up at a local Hallmark store a few weeks ago, along with another showing a 50's/60's cocktail party which plays the Austin Powers theme when you turn the handle.

Thanks

Yup I got that card for my b-day, along with this one:

Inside it says:

"I know it's just a swizzle stick, but, shoot... I sacrificed almost four bucks for it!
ENJOY!"

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Sep 10, 2008 5:03 PM

Great cards! Ya know this whole tikiphile thing is beginning to feel like the ol' Grateful Dead adage, "We Are Everywhere"... :tiki:

One day, there will be a cure for tiki,
That's the day I'll throw my rum away...

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-09-10 17:04 ]

TS

No luck at the Longs Drugs in Torrance/Redondo... It looked cool here, so I went in search of it. I will have to check the Hallmark stores soon! I really wanted to see the crank action...Did the crank play music and move the card?

Check Wal-mart. That's where mine came from.

Here is the cocktail party card. My girlfriend bought this for me a few weeks ago.

The illustration looks a lot like Derek Yaniger's work. I emailed him today to see if he did any illustrations for Hallmark. I'm curious to hear the response.

^^ Man I like that on too.. wasn't too crazy about the Austin Powers theme song, but if it sells it to the mundanes then you have to.

By "Austin Powers theme song" are you referring to Quincy Jones' Soul Bossa Nova?

Yeah, that's what he's referring to. It's unfortunate that the song is thought of that way now. That movie clued much of the public into an great piece of music... but it will now always be associated with that movie.

Kind of like what happened with Wayne's World and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody".

I just got the email back from Derek. He said it's not his work. I guess a lot of people have brought that card up to him and he is considering suing, but says most likely not considering how many lawyers Hallmark can afford.

Can't blame him, that's for sure.

[ Edited by: tiki shaker 2008-09-22 15:24 ]

On 2008-09-22 08:13, Tiki Shaker wrote:
Yeah, that's what he's referring to. It's unfortunate that the song is thought of that way now. That movie clued much of the public into an great piece of music... but it will now always be associated with that movie.

In Canada it has another unfortunate association - it was used as the theme for a cheesy game show called Definition (and later sampled by Dream Warriors in their song "My Definition of a Boombastic Jazz Style").

Pages: 1 14 replies