Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Official TikiAuction.com thread

Pages: 1 31 replies

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce everyone to the site launch of TikiAuction.com. Basically, TikiAuction is built from the ground-up to be a Tiki-centric Auction Marketplace for the Tiki community (yeah you). You certainly don't have to trip over completely unrelated items to get to that great hand-carved Tiki or Aloha shirt here. With that in mind, as far as things like value for money, site features and transaction security go, we aim to meet or beat all the major websites. We feature all the conveniences and security of the big auction sites including SSL encryption and buying and selling tools.

Our focus and independence allows us to respond to your needs in a way that big sites can't. You tell us what you want, and if it sounds reasonable, we will try it. If it works, great; if not we'll try something else. Ultimately,we're not aiming to be anyone else, just TikiAuction.com!

With Hanford's permission, I'd like to invite everyone to come check us out at http://www.tikiauction.com/auction It's always going to be free to join and buy. And in the spirit of aloha, it's going to be free to sell as well for a while (I anticipate about 6 months). If and when seller fees do kick in, we will make every effort to keep it as low as possible.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts, I invite you to post them here. Let's build a community marketplace together, folks.

Much Mahalo Everyone,
Dave K aka BigKahuna AT TikiAuction

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2008-09-09 18:04 ]

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2008-09-09 18:06 ]

Good luck with that Bigdave.

Dave, you fell into my biggest pet peeve. (maybe not the biggest; talking in the theater, tailgating, those come first I think)
On your very first post, you circumvent decorum, tradition and protocol.
I went to your site, it appears to be a standard auction format with a Tiki name. Those sites are not cheap, 6 months free is generous.
It would be better to hang around a while, get to know "everyone" and conversely, let us get to know you. Fill out your profile, where do you hail from, what is your interest in Tiki? (BTW the way you came galloping in here, it FEELS LIKE your interest is just to make money) Have you been lurking for a long time and never said anything? How did you get to be the BIG KAHUNA?
Don't be put off by me, there are others here nicer than me, I just call them like I see them.
Other things you may want to do;
Ooga Mooga
Critiki
The Book of Tiki
Advertise on Tiki Central

Hi,

While I appreciate your candidness, I'm not going to turn this thread around into a justification or to defend the site. It is what it is. I have been a lurker here for some time now and already contacted Hanford before hand, we already spoke and committed to advertising here at Tikicentral. Let people here use it, and let them judge for themselves. I designed the site around what people seem to need around here. Again, don't rush to conclusion. Use it for free, if it is useful, then hopefully it will save people money from ebay listings. I'm here to respond more in terms of usage issues.

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2008-09-10 14:01 ]

I just want to confirm that he did indeed introduce himself to me via personal email, ask me if it was a cool thing to do, and bought advertising (it's paid for but won't start right away) before ever posting this topic! :)

~Hanford

site looks like a good start. I might suggest you also get http://www.tikiauctionS.com - I went there first by mistake...

good idea! done! (although everyone let's please use the tikiauction.com address before the domain info is updated)

On 2008-09-09 18:03, tikiauction wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Our focus and independence allows us to respond to your needs in a way that big sites can't. You tell us what you want, and if it sounds reasonable, we will try it.
If you have any suggestions or thoughts, I invite you to post them here. Let's build a community marketplace together, folks.
Much Mahalo Everyone,
Dave K aka BigKahuna AT TikiAuction

Okay, does this sound reasonable? Tell us about yourself, where you are, you know the little things that makes a community and that make us folks

done! I updated the about-us page to include some biographical info.

This will be the last I have to say on this.
If you look around here Big Davekahuna, it is about the people here as much as anything else, Bamboo Ben, closes his retail to spend time with his family, Bongfury is worried that his wife has to work too much at the Rincon Room. Little Lost Tiki Ken has... well lets not go there...Grog cannot have a Hula party because of the writers strike in Hollywood, Tiki Lee has to sell his Witco because of hard times. Humuhumu is back, Swampfire is commissioned to do guitars for Fender, Bigbrotiki has published a new book.
These is what a Community is about, this is the FOLKS and Everyone that you glibly addressed in your first post. This is the Ohana.
I read the bio, a programmer in NY. Still don't know if you have a single Tiki Mug.
Pour YOU, into this Forum, this wonderful world we call Tiki Central (but really mean home,) and you will get your first auction.
I'm done.

Is there actually anything up for auction on your site?

I couldn't seem to find anything there??

PTD

W

The Tikiauction page says: "The Internet's Original Tiki Community Marketplace"

What about "Coconut Economy?" I believe that marketplace predates this one, even if the scope of sellers if more limited.

[ Edited by: wentiki 2008-09-11 07:38 ]

R

still nothing available on this site!!!seems kinda funny doesn't it??

I have held back the listings for 2 reasons.

1. Some folks have reported a problem with the autoresponder not correctly sending out the confirmation email, which is now fixed.

2)The second reason is to let everyone have a chance to get their voice heard be it positive or negative, to clear the air and to say I respect everyone's opinions. The TikiAuction about us page has been updated to include my personal bio and contains all info I felt pertinent to the site, and if you google me enough, you will probably even find my dog's name. Several of the people mentioned by BB are actually signed up as TikiAuction users and have pm'd their support in private to avoid confrontation, so again don't rush to speak for everyone. But as the controversy dies down, I want to say that the only thing I ask is that people give the users who have chosen to use the tikiauction listing a fair shake. I have had technical experience and expertise through an earlier incarnation and some of the Tikicentral folks and myself believe that the potential for growth and sponsorship as a community is tremendous. When was the last time Ebay had a banner ad up at Tikicentral? Speaking of which, look for our banner ad to be up this weekend, by which time the first listings should be released.

Stay Cool Folks,

Bigkahuna

TikiAuction,
Get this site up!!!!! Don't worry about these talking monkeys and what they think you should do!!!!
Some people lead and some follow. If the product is good they will love you and you will do well just like in any business.........

but you always have a better chance at success if you love what you do!!!!!! so if you own a tiki mug or not (I don't care) just don't do it for money only...........I can count on one hand how many people make a living off of Tiki alone!!!!!!!!

Now get it done or I will beat you like a drum!!!!!!!!!!

check the about us page, I don't need the money I'm Doogie Howser MD bruh :wink:

But the site should eventually be able to pay it's own bills, do community sponsorship and get people hired to prune out junk so it's going to have to get some kind of funding no question about it.

Shooting for this weekend, all systems go

UPDATE: 2 Tiki Mugs (not really a mug guy), 2 custom Maui Carved Tikis, 6 MIH aloha shirts, 2 pairs of reef sandals, 1 djembe, 1 dog 1 cat 1 fish 1 wife 1 baby

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2008-09-11 16:31 ]

a baby? that isn't TIKI!!!!!! Maybe a monkey,or a blow fish but not a Baby!!!! Wait,Are we talking human Baby?

Bad Kitty loves Human Baby's!!!!!! Taste like chicken

Here is the REAL test...

Do you own any Jimmy Buffet records or do you have a Jimmy Buffet shirt?

Are your "tiki" mugs from Margaritaville?

PTD

Jimmy Cracks Corn and I dont care!!!!!!!!!!! DIG?

I will give you this Jimmy Buffett shirt and Fez if you want to start the auction now!!!!!!

I'll answer in a multiple choice format

1. Answer C: The baby is 1/16th tiki
  2. Answer C: Jimmy Who? Never 'eard of 'im.
  3. Answer C: Lee's got dibs on the inaugural item. I'll take the fez though. Just the fez thanks.
  4. For extra credit Answer C: The Mugs were bought off some flea market lady, don't know if Jimmy Who used it.

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2008-09-11 17:19 ]

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2008-09-11 17:22 ]

T

3)I'll take the fez though.

Please take everything under the fez too.

K
kiara posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 5:22 PM

I think this could be great.
I wish i would have started it first ,but
I would end up spending all of the profits
on tikis.
I know Dave is into tiki way more than any of the
folks at ebay.

Dave?? Dave's not home!

I'll start the bidding at 6 Canadian Loonies!

PTD

@PTD: Can you come in on monday? I think I know someone who can help you.

@All others: Everyone have a good time and make Lee plenty rich alright. I'll leave it up to him to start the inaugural item.

I don't like Mondays...

But seriously, (Why so serious)?

I think I will be putting some tiki stuff up on your website cuz I gots tons o' stuff.

I am not cappin' on you man! Newbies get the trial by fire, I know cuz I got it meself1

Great idea, great format and great concept!

Do you have anything posted up for bid yet?

Mahalo,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and now you do 2)!

PTD glad to have you onboard bruh. Nah, the fire was all good, I don't hold any grudges, never did, sorta buddha like that. Except maybe against Ebay? Man not really even against Ebay. Why so serious? Sort of get paid at my day job to be serious, oh well.

The autoresponder may still be bugged, so people check your spam mail and set the filters accordingly. Banner should be up saturday. after that will be a free for all.

Put an item up to test the waters...though I forgot to post pics.

Can one revise and add pictures?

PTD

not a problem, go into your control panel, under the selling tab look for active auctions, look for the item there should be and there should be a box that says edit, it will bring up the item listing and you can change it.

oh yeah, i unlocked it, so someone owes me a fez, just the fez thanks.

threads getting kinda long so maybe post the ad in a new thread vis-a-vis the other ads.

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2008-09-11 19:00 ]

T

Dave, welcome aboard! Mucho kudos to you for rolling with the punches, rest assured that you received the typical TC welcome :D So far I've avoided collecting the required 200 mugs to be classified as an official tikiphile, but I've noticed that the only ones counting are the ones that have over 200 themselves :wink: Good luck with the site, anything that drives a single tiny nail into eBay's coffin is a welcome addition in my opinion!

P

suggestions:

cite where auction items are located geographically. it helps when figuring shipping.

there is no category for "art". crafts involves yarn, pipe cleaners and macaroni. i work with none of those.

it might be nice to have the option to let others know that they are viewing/bidding on TC members items.

just my two cents.

ask me how you can help change the world!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-09-12 14:51 ]

1. updates: added tiki carvings, renamed crafts to art, renamed decor to decor/furniture (will eventually to become witco category), existing items are up and running great so no reason to move.

2. TC member feature is a great idea! I'll open it to the floor for a contest to make the best looking TC prestige icon, pm or email me your own artwork in png format. otherwise the default will be

3. couple of tips, remember the autoresponder sends multiple emails so check your spam folder and unspam if necessary. don't use anything crazy for your login and password (you know who you are :wink: like username h@$k@@@5666, the security bot doesn't like that. make use of the autolist function and buy it now function. advertise your items here like the ebay listings. e.g, tikiauction: Carved Tiki sale as heading.

4. banner is up now! am I an artist or what.

5. if you are a human (more or less) and are reading this, please do not use [email protected] for any meaningful email conversations with me, unless if you have any information about nigerian money deals or male enhancement products, in which case than please use that email address (though to be very honest, i don't really need either). All others should use the [email protected] to get in touch.

6. UPDATE: Tikicentral membership icon feature has been added, if you haven't already pls pm me an aloha and let me know your tikiauction id so that I can verify that you as a tikicentral member here. Note that this process make take a while, as each tc member will have to be manually verified by yours truly.

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2008-09-12 19:31 ]

Just a reminder to check out tikiauction.com I say that cause I have about 5 items up for bids. More folks should put something on there, there's no fees yet. More money in our pockets.

Just my two cents. I'll get off the rum barrel now..

Rick

I know it's not really important, but would you be willing to skin the site in more muted colors, a burnish Witco-esque wood background, perhaps?

Pages: 1 31 replies