Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Houston-area ohana

Pages: 1 13 replies

Has anyone heard from our Houston ohana? I'm worried about everyone, and haven't been able to reach Formikahini, who is the only Houston-area I have a phone number for.

L
Loki posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 9:23 AM

Heard from her yesterday. Alice is well and safe...no power, and very limited texting and cell use. She said it could be a few weeks before power comes back.

P

We left Houston for the island of Maui on our long-scheduled vacation on the 7th, at which time it was uncertain Ike would even be a major problem for Houston. We're here until the 20th so naturally we missed it all and are currently safe and sound basking in the Hawaiian sun, sucking up Mai Tais and sucking down Pupus. But our apartment did not fair as well. We've been told by management that the roof leaked into it and there is some damage from that. But mostly it survived a lot better than many. Going to have the joy of opening the refrigerator and seeing what sort of mess that's gonna be after many days without electricity. Yuck. Just hope the electricity is back on by the time we get back. And hope we CAN get back on the 20th!

Neighbors and friends that we've managed to get through to tell us it's a war zone in the entire area. Streets are littered and blocked with debris. No power, low water pressure, have to boil tap water (if you got a source of heat), no gasoline at the pumps, food getting short for many. Generally not fun at all.

But worse still for me, is that my employer's place of business was totally destroyed (the entire roof was ripped away) and I have no idea what's going on with that and if or when he plans on getting up and running again.

A lot of overloaded phone lines and cell towers down. Frustrating not to be able to get through to friends to check status and such. But we're certainly better off than many.

Alice...if you're reading this...hope you and yours are safe. Hang in there!

M

Aloha all,

Just got internet service today. Yes, Houston & Galveston and surrounding areas are in bad shape. Ike struck as a Cat 2, but really so far, reports are of very few deaths and injuries. They are not finished with recovery yet, though. Most of Houston has no power, no water, no gas. Although things are improving, this major city is virtually shut down. We were without power only about 15 hours, had no water for 12, but lots of others are in worse shape. Pray for everyone affected.

Mahalo, Mimi808

Hey TC Gang!

Actually not doing badly at ALL.
1st chance for internet so can't say much - many to answer.

No power, but yes water (which was never contaminated), amazingly perfect weather, gas heated water and stove, big, black, scary-barking dog to protect me, and great neighbors. Party every night (just found a great Venezuelan rum via a neighbor who works for Venezuela-owned Citgo)! It's like luxury camping with all your friends! Only damage to my home is a big branch that fell on my AC unit's casing; it bent it and will need to be unbent before I regain power), but many trees down in hood, some blocking the road. In fact, every block around me was blocked by a giant tree down!

But I'm totally fine :)
I really can't complain. The 2 photos I've seen of Galveston are appalling. And the loss of some of the OLD trees in town, especially oaks, makes me almost cry. But my life is essentially unaffected. My school where i teach had damage (don't know what) but means no school for a week. You know the kids are crying....

I am so very very lucky/blessed.

Heelgrinder, I texted you a few times - sorry they never got thru :(
I can rarely make calls, even to get voicemails, but i seem to be getting all texts. And I thought all my texts were getting out :roll:
(NOTE: Texts cost me both in and out, so please don't everybody text me well-wishes!!)

F

M

Very glad to hear you're safe. It was a surprise and a blast to catch up with you at The Spirited Tiki Dinner and Tales this past July!

cmh

T
txmod posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2008 8:09 PM

The worst thing for me is NO POWER! We are on night 5 without electric, it finally got turned on at my Dad's in the far northwest suburbs, so I got on his computer & will camp out there some. They say it may be as long as a month before all the power is restored. The first night was horrible with the heat and humidity,(with no AC) then a cool front blew in and it has been okay since then.
Gasoline lines are long, most stores are still closed, although more open daily. There is still 1.5+ million without power in Houston.
Luckily neither of my houses had any structural damage, not even a broken window. My hood is southeast of downtown, about 10 - 15 minutes, and about 35 - 40 northwest of Galveston. IKE came right up through us and really devastated the tree canopy. All these great old moss draped trees were ripped up and toppled over. Very few fell on houses though. I have pics, but they are on my laptop. If I ever get power I will post them.

edit- I have one I can post, our last yard of the month winner.
Before Ike,

and after...

the owner sent out this picture. Like most of us in the area, he lost a lot of trees but didn't suffer any damage to the house. Unfortunately a lot of people closer to the coast were not as lucky. So I guess I shouldn't complain!

[ Edited by: txmod 2008-09-16 20:24 ]

[ Edited by: txmod 2008-09-16 20:25 ]

[ Edited by: txmod 2008-09-16 20:27 ]

[ Edited by: txmod 2008-09-16 20:30 ]

will we see alice at NETT?

L
Loki posted on Wed, Sep 17, 2008 9:33 AM

Alice will be attending NETT for sure this weekend.

S

Glad you're safe and okay Alice.

Scary images. I can't fathom what I have seen of the coast. Swept clean.

Makes me glad I live inland and on high ground.

Great to hear that all of you Tejas Ohana are going ok.
TXMOD did any of those mods get damaged severely, or have you not a chance to check?
Alice, hang in there, I'm working on an airdrop for more rum!

T
txmod posted on Thu, Sep 18, 2008 3:50 PM

Here is a photo thread I put on lotta living:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=72249#72249

One had a bunch of trees on the roof, but mostly it is just tree damage.

We lucked out here in the apartments...we had electricity/water then entire time. I live next to the galleria area...got really lucky.

T

Hey everyone. Our power actually didn't come back on until this past Saturday night! Man, two weeks without power was a real trial. No damage to the house, just a big, big mess.

It's amazing the volume of potential tikis everywhere! So much wood, so little time. :wink:

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2008-09-30 08:52 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies