Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Martin Denny Forbidden Island LP cover

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've seen this version of the LP cover for Forbidden Island every time I've come across the record.

but today I stopped by an estate sale and picked up this copy for $1. Anyone know anything about the different cover art or have a copy themselves?

Edited by: zulumagoo on 2003-03-13 22:09 ]

[ Edited by: zulumagoo 2006-07-22 08:17 ]

I can't add much to the fact that there are indeed two covers, but must remark that there's a lot worse you could do with $1!

Trader Woody

from the liner notes (written by Martin Denny himself) of Scamp Records 1996 CD release of 1958's Forbidden Island:

"In 1960 someone came along with the bright idea that Forbidden Island would sell more albums if it had a little more sexual allure to it. So they shot a new cover with a model who provided a provocative, suggestive look with a tantalizing pose with a cherry between her lips."
-- Martin Denny

A little more Forbidden Island info from the same liner notes:

"Around this time I was appearing at Don the Beachcomber's in Waikiki, when my friend Charles Griffith, who had written lyrics to some of the songs I had composed, was getting ready to produce and direct the film Forbidden Island at Trader Vic's. The film starred Jon Hall who played a scuba diver trying to find a sunken treasure before a gang of crooks did. Charles asked me to play a cameo part of a piano player in a bar, like Sam the piano player in Casablanca. He also let me use the title of Forbidden Island for what became my third album for Liberty Records."

:tiki:

A

Apparently Shag knew about the alternate cover too, when he did this one for the Bomboras....

I've always wished I could find the LP with that other cover. I assumed it was a British version or something like that.

-Randy

G

mahaloz Bong for introducing me to TC!! because I lern sumting new here all da time like on dis post here! good eye ZuluMagoo.

alohaz

Pages: 1 4 replies