Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

UPDATE Oct 26th Exotiki, The Lucky Stars,The Royal Deuces & more @ The Redwood Bar & Grill

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

October 26th Hillbilly DJ Jeff W's Birthday bash

NEW LOCATION PLEASE SEE ADDRESS BELOW.

It's a little bit hula, a bit rockabilly and a bit of Western Swing! The best of all three! The fun starts at noon and goes till 6PM More info to follow soon! This show is free up until 1:30 and after that it's $7

Art work by the lovely Atomikitty, (thanks so much)

Redwood Bar & Grill
316 W 2nd street
Los Angeles, Ca 90012

For more info on brunch shows please go to http://www.myspace.com/samsbrunchfoodmusic (the page will be updated soon for the brunch shows, all brunch shows will be at the Redwood Bar & Grill until further notice)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU YOUR COMING, LEAVE A COMMENT RIGHT HERE!

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-09-15 14:53 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-10-15 13:16 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-10-15 13:24 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-10-15 13:26 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-10-15 13:50 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-10-16 06:28 ]

It is now on our calendar. See ya there.

im so there.
gonna try to get some others there too.
check out Exotiki
http://www.myspace.com/exotikimusic

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-10-22 18:07 ]

On 2008-09-15 19:30, auburn hills wrote:
It is now on our calendar. See ya there.

I am so happy you are coming, it will be a fun time. Please be sure to say hi to me, I sit right behind the DJ, it's always nice to meet new people. have a great day!

On 2008-09-15 21:32, bigtikidude wrote:
im so there.
gonna try to get some others there too.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That's great news, I havent seen you in such a long time. Wow I get to see you at Kona on Saturday and in October too. Thank you so much for trying to get others to come too. I cant wait, see you soon!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2008 8:11 AM

GROG be there to help celebrate DJ Hillbilly Jeff's Birthday. GROG doubt you can keep Adam and Atomikitty away either.

Isn't Hillbilly Fest sometime in October, also?

On 2008-09-16 08:11, GROG wrote:
GROG be there to help celebrate DJ Hillbilly Jeff's Birthday. GROG doubt you can keep Adam and Atomikitty away either.

Why yes it is, so glad you asked. Dave and Deke's Hillbilly Fest is October 18th and the most fun one can have even without drinking! I will post more info on it as I get the full details. All I know is that as soon as last years ended I couldnt wait for the next one. I was on a hillbilly high for days. I do know it's at safari Sam's and Hillbilly Jeff will again be the dj.

As well I am so glad you are coming to see Exotiki too! They are quite good, as well as the other remarkable bands playing too, see ya soon!

On 2008-09-16 08:11, GROG wrote:

Forgot, your right I bet Atomikitty and Adam will be there. She saw Exotiki last time they played and Jeff said she loved them.

I can't wait!!!

Me either! It's going to be fun, fun and still more fun!

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-09-23 12:10 ]

Thanks big tiki dude for putting up the link to exotiki. Everyone should check them out, they are so darn good! So come on who's all going to come out for this great show? If you were at the Kona on Saturday night and saw a hillbilly looking guy in cowboy boots and hawaiian shirt with lots of tattoos and a pomp that was hillbilly DJ Jeff W, he is the one putting on the show and this show will be his birthday bash, so please come out for this show. So like I asked before, who all is coming?

yeah peeps, this is gonna be a great show,
the Lucky Stars are amazing too,
http://www.myspace.com/theoriginalluckystars

I have seen them a few times, and am always blown away.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-09-22 11:56 ]

Thanks again big tiki dude, I really appreciate it. The more people that come the better, I really truly think everyone would love this show. Exotiki is amazing, and there is the Hillbilly melon drink and the mama mae drink too.

The hillbilly melon is served in a watermelon
the mama mae in a coconut and they are both so yummy!

so I am hoping lots of people will show up and have a melon or coconut of cheer with us as we listen to the fine tunes of Exotiki, The Lucky Stars and all the other honest to goodness wonderful bands that are playing that day.

I know I will see you there for sure and tiki tena too I hope! As for everyone else please come out and play for the day!

It's free before 1:30 and $7 after! So who is in?

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-10-08 19:26 ]

Dont forget to mark your calendars for Exotiki

I promise to keep everyone informed if this show will go on. Safari Sam's is looking for a new location so in the mean time everything is up in the air. Be sure to look here for any up dates.

ok got my fingers crossed too.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I appreciate it very much. Keep them crossed tight!

I'm planning to go too and bringing some friends. Please let us know!
XO,
KvT

I surely will, they are trying to find a new location and trying very hard. You here TC will be the first to know. This is also my hubby's b-day's show that he booked for himself so we are really hoping they find something soon.

We are trying very hard to save this show, we may even move it to a different location. Thanks for your interest and patience.

Yippy the show will indeed go on! It's been moved to a new location which is

The Redwood Bar & Grill
316 W 2nd street
Los Angeles, Ca 90012

In a very cool pirate themed environment too.

Hillbilly DJ Jeff W will still be your host. This venue will have food available with a full bar too. So come welcome Hillbilly DJ Jeff W on his Birthday to his new home. For those of you that will follow us to this new location thanks so much for all your support the last 2 years. The brunch will live on!

So let me know if your coming and please post it here.

I will be there.
so this is where all the Brunch americana's will be from now on?
or just this one?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Great question Big tiki dude, they will all be at The Redwood Bar. They were very nice and offered to host brunch there. It's a very nice looking place and the brunch shows will go on.

What do you think of Atomikitty's flyer she made for it? Pretty nice huh?

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-10-16 08:02 ]

Does anyone living in the area know of a hotel (not toooo expensive, just a nice, safe, clean place to sleep!) where I can get a room for Sat. nite? I want to go to the Tonga Hut on Saturday night and the brunch on Sunday. Doesn't make sense to drive all the way back to the OC!

Can't wait for this!

The Redwood Bar is a great place to see these bands! Arrr....

It's this Sunday so mark your calendar, see ya there I hope. Is anyone out there planning on coming? It's going to be so much fun!

there

Jeff(btd)

reminder Exotiki is a Hawaiian/country band, very good, must see.
http://www.myspace.com/exotikimusic

hope to see some Tiki peeps at this on Sun.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

It's this Sunday!

This show is tomorrow starting at noon, dont forget Exotiki will be there. You'll love them!

the big B-day show today,
with ExoTiki and
others.

come check it out.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Headed down right now!

REDWOOD BAR is awesome, and All the bands today are stellar!

Hope to see some TC Ohana there! :)

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2008-10-26 13:45 ]

had a great time yesterday,
the bands were all terrific,
great venue too.

looking forward to many more shows there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

What a fun day!
The Redwood Bar and its Staff are top notch!!!

Jeff, it was good meeting you again. Wish I had more time to actually sit and have a beer or two with ya!
Next time for sure...

AWESOME SHOW!

Nothin' like some slide guitar in a pirate bar!

I love the REDWOOD! :D

Nothin' like some slide guitar in a pirate bar!

I love the REDWOOD! :D

Truer words were never spoken.

The good part about The Redwood is it felt like time was non-existent all day. You walk in and it feels like you just set sail on cruise... but with good bands playing! :)

Atomikitty & BigTikiDude, did you by any chance check out what type of drinks they had for order? I was only drinking beer and didn't look....

hey there Dartin Menny, sorry I missed you yesterday, I was so sick. I was pretty bummed out! My parents got sick too, damm the prime rib! I will see you tomorrow night for dinner right?

Tiki A Fair
sorry to hear you were not feeling well, and couldn't make it.

Dartin,
I looked at the Drink menu, lots of rum drinks, but not in a good way.
tons of new drink recipe type drinks,
I was to scared to try any.
I did have a shot of rum solo though.
I figured I was in a pirate bar, I needed to have some rum.

Suzy can you help them make a few real rum drinks?

good seein ya guys yesterday.
I only knew 4 people there, and you 2 were part of them.

looking forward to the Hula Girls show there.

Dartin,
contact me about playing other places,
I talked to Dave at Purple orchid, and he seems interested.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-10-29 08:08 ]

Tiki-a-Fair, it really sucked that you were sick. We missed you.... Tuesday night dinner for sure! :)

BigTikiDude, I'll get in touch with you soon about playin' the Purple Orchid. Thanks again!

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2008-10-27 14:35 ]

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2008-10-28 08:26 ]

On 2008-10-27 14:34, Dartin Menny wrote:
it really sucked that you were sick. We missed you.... Tuesday night dinner for sure! :)

Jeff, I'll get in touch with you soon about playin' the Purple Orchid. Thanks again!

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2008-10-27 14:35 ]

I will see you tomorrow then for sure. I may not eat alot yet but at least I can spend time with you and your lovely wife and you can finally get your present. I cant wait to give it to you!

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-10-27 14:43 ]

C

I had a great time as well! I'd never seen Exotiki before and really enjoyed the mix of Hawaiian steel with the gypsy jazz guitar sounds of Jeff Ross...a great blend. Their version of Dark Eyes was a perfect combination of those two compatible styles. The Lucky Stars--who I've seen countless times before--were great as always, and having seen Mitch and his banjo at the 07 Hillbilly Fest, I was glad to see his band the Royal Deuces. (I had band practice that morning so unfortunately missed Capt. Jeffrey and the Chumbuckets.)

Regarding the mixed drinks, let me first say the Redwood is a great and comfortable place to hangout as others have said, the food at the Redwood is great (I've had the fish & chips a couple times and the burger once and both were excellent) and they have a nice selection of beers...making it a great home for Jeff's Sunday brunch and other events.

However, regarding their mixed drinks....on a previous visit I ordered their $12 mai tai and was severely disappointed--not right ingredients, and a near-Shirley Temple-amount of rum in a giant glass. Since the Redwood has a pirate/nautical theme its something they will hopefully remedy with time (especially with a nearby Trader Vic's opening soon). I haven't tried their other mixed drinks on the menu so I can't vouch yay or nay and those may be good--I stuck to beer yesterday. (I also won't grade them on my earlier attempt to guide them through making a Moscow Mule, since it's almost a trick question for anyplace other than the Tam O Shanter.) But despite that, its a fun place (they still have the big red phone hotline from the LA Times office back when this was the hangout for hard-drinking reporters), and easy to find parking on a Sunday afternoon.

On 2008-10-27 15:03, congawa wrote:
I had a great time as well! I'd never seen Exotiki before and really enjoyed the mix of Hawaiian steel with the gypsy jazz guitar sounds of Jeff Ross...a great blend. Their version of Dark Eyes was a perfect combination of those two compatible styles.

Glad you enjoyed it Congawa!

On behalf of Exotiki, we were glad to be part of Jeff's Bday Brunch Bash (and his first at Redwood)... The Redwood is a great fit for his shows.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get some good rum drinks mixing up there soon..

I'll talk to Joe about the possibility of a new drink menu for the New Year. . . :wink:

I love this bar and I'd be happy to help. :drink:

On 2008-10-29 14:58, atomikitty wrote:
I'll talk to Joe about the possibility of a new drink menu for the New Year. . . :wink:

I love this bar and I'd be happy to help. :drink:

After witnessing you jumping behind the bar at the old Safari Sam's that really busy day Atomikitty, I'd say you're the right candidate for the job!

I've got a special request.... Lapu-Lapu's ? :wink:

special request number 2
Navy grog and a zombie.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFsuMuisbag :)

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2008-10-30 03:24 ]

Pages: 1 2 47 replies