Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Variation of the Starboard light glass

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hello, I joined the forum years ago, life got in the way of tikis for awhile, then I lurked for a bit, and now am posting. So while I may seem new, I have been collecting tikis since the early 90's.

Among my favorite mugs are the port & starboard glasses. Around 2002 I bought some glasses from Trader Vics Atlanta, and they were a pale green version of the Starboard. I think I ended up with 2 or 3 total, but now just have this one. I have finally gotten a traditional Starboard mug after many years of searching, and now placing them all together am noticing not only the color is different, but the size as well. Does anyone have any info about the light green version? Why it may be different? How many of you have one? Thanks for your help!

Here is a pic

[ Edited by: shiverbones 2008-09-18 00:01 ]

the light green version was probably from a run of glasses that didn't get enough pigment in the manufacturing process when they were made years ago in china or wherever....there wasn't alot of quantity control back then and if the glasses held liquid, they used them anyway.....i don't believe the glasses are rare by any means or made that way on purpose..a ship has only 2 sides...starboard and port....what could that pale green glass signify other than one of these??...anyway, that's my know-it-all theory for the day...anyone else??...bueller???.....bueller?....

size varience may be from shrinkage in production or maybe from a run of knock-offs made back in the day....or these could have been made by another manufacturer that trader vics thought was cheaper but once they saw the color and quality, they kept them (cause they already paid for them) and went back to using their original factory that made the nice colored ones we see today....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-09-18 05:34 ]

I found the same thing with the port lights. Mainly the size variations. This link may help

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11243&forum=5

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-09-18 17:11 ]

Hey Shiverbones- glad to see the glass made it to you safely!

On 2008-09-18 17:17, Matterhorn1959 wrote:
Hey Shiverbones- glad to see the glass made it to you safely!

Me too! I have been after one of those for ages. Thanks for letting it go! - Matthew

Thanks for the help guys!

Pages: 1 5 replies