Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Les Baxter to perform in Tucson with Ernie Menehune!!!

Pages: 1 28 replies

Well, not quite, but probably the closest you will ever get.

Below are the details..........

Concert date and time is November 3rd at 7:30PM Held at the University of Arizona School of Music's Crowder Hall in Tucson, Arizona.

The concert will be divided into 2 parts. The first part will include selections from Les Baxter's Tamboo and The Sacred Idol. The second part will feature Bob Drasnin in a performance of selections from Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2.

The group is called the Archive Ensemble and is under the direction of Keith Pawlak. Keith will conduct the first half and Bob will conduct the second half.

To anyone seriously interested in Exotica this is the show to be at.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: jeff central 2008-10-02 09:48 ]

I HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO GET TO THIS CONCERT!!!!!

Truly amazing!

I think the wife and I may have to head out to that.....

Thanks for posting this!

The University also has the Les Baxter Collection............

http://web.cfa.arizona.edu/lesbaxter/index.html

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Ticket Prices are as follows...........

• General Admission: $9.00
  • Senior/UA Employee: $7.00
  • UA Student: $5.00

Cheers,
Jeff

T

Jeff,

Where are you staying? Do you have any info on hotels?

What days will you be there?

S

I really want to see this too. So awesome.

Suzanne

V

Jeff, you know how much I'd like to come...

Jeff,
Thanks for posting this!! I was beginning to think this one was going to fly under the radar, which would have been a shame. I'm definately going to be there!

AFTER PARTY AT THE KON-TIKI ANYONE????

On 2008-09-24 06:01, tikibob wrote:
Jeff,

Where are you staying? Do you have any info on hotels?

What days will you be there?

I will be there from November 1st through the 4th. If you do a Google search for Tucson Hotels you will see all kinds of reasonable accomodations. Some are actually pretty close to the University as well.

Yes, there will be an afterparty at the Kon Tiki!!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Not only an afterparty, but a pre-party too! Ernie Menehune will be performing at the Kon Tiki on Sunday the 2nd. Here's the flyer...

What a fun,rum-filled musical weekend in the Desert.

CH

This is going to be soooooo cool!!!

Thanks for the update CheekyHalf

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2008-10-01 11:56 ]

Here's the official flyer.............

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

BM

this is looking to turn into a MAJOR exotica EXTRAVAGANZA..are there a lot of TCers that are gonna attend this?

I so wish I could go to this.
as much as the Nor. Cal. tiki bar crawl.
:(
sigh......

Jeff(bigtikidude)

O

Jeff, what is your role in the evening?

I will be giving a small lecture on Exotica Music and talk briefly about Les Baxter and Robert Drasnin.

The music of Les Baxter’s Tamboo and The Sacred Idol as well as Robert Drasnin’s Voodoo will be the highlight of the evening.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

One week to go!!!! :D

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Just want to say a quick Mahalo to Jeff, Keith, Skip, Mark and of course Mr. Drasnin for putting on such a great and unique show. We had a fantastic time with you all and it was especially cool having the Kon Tiki to ourselves after the show and listening to the 'right' kind of music!

We look forward to the next time....

M&M

O

Can you post a set list or give us a review of the show?

I so wish I could have been there.
:(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I posted this in Tiki Events but will post it here as well................

The Baxter/Drasnin show was one of the most incedible concerts I have ever been to. It reaffirms my belief that Les Baxter was a complete genius. To witness an orchestra of 32 musicians playing his original music from the original scores is almost beyond comprehension for me. It was so stunningly beautiful that I actually felt a certain type of giddyness. I felt like a little kid. Skip Heller and I actually exchanged a high five after "Batumba." It was very hard to curb our enthusiasm for this incredible feat we were witnessing. Keith Pawlak should be awarded into the Exotica Hall of Fame for pulling off this monumental task of bringing Les Baxter's music to the stage with such professionalism.

The Drasnin portion of the program was also extremely cool. While the Les Baxter performers were more rigorous and wore suits, the Drasnin orchestra was much more relaxed and came out with Hawaiian shirts on. It was interesting to note the differences between to two artists even though they are considered to be on the same playing field. Bob's music was definitely more lei'd back and fun while the Baxter performance was just completely mind-blowing!!

Les Baxter set list...........

from Tamboo!.....

1. Simba
  2. Oasis of Dakhla
  3. Mozambique
  4. Batumba
  5. Cuchibamba
  6. Tehran
  7. Pantan

from The Sacred Idol.....

1. Procession of the princes
  2. The High Priest of the Aztecs
  3. The Feathered Serpent of the Aztecs
  4. Pyramid of the Sun
  5. Aqueducts

Robert Drasnin set list.....

1. Chant of the Moon
  2. Samballero
  3. Moorean Moonbeams
  4. Mirage
  5. Siren Song
  6. Desiree
  7. East of Xanadu
  8. Habanera in Blue
  9. Orinoco
  10. Polynesian Bolero

It was nice meeting you too Maggie, Mark and the rest of the crazy Tucson gang. Thanks for taking it easy on me! :wink:

More random thoughts and pictures soon!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

My wife and I soooo wanted to go to this!

Our friend, who lives in Tucson, was visiting that weekend and left to go back on Sunday. We told her about this show, hopefully she ended up making it.

We almost drove out to go.

The set lists they played are amazing! So many great tunes both the orchestras played!!!

Can't wait for photos!

Is there any film footage that you know of Jeff Central?

On 2008-11-06 07:40, Dartin Menny wrote:

Is there any film footage that you know of Jeff Central?

Just guerilla style footage shot with a cheap handheld camcorder.

Not sure if it will be used for anything other than having a reference copy of the event. Not to mention the copyright issues involved.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Here's a few pictures.......

Jeff Central, Ernie Menehune and Digitiki at the Menehune Village.
Expect an article on Ernie Menehune in an upcoming issue of Tiki Magazine!! :)

The Archive Ensemble conducted by Keith Pawlak

Keith Pawlak, Robert Drasnin and Skip Heller

A happy after party at the Kon Tiki with the Tucson Crew!!
A BIG thanks to Mark and Maggie for their wonderful hospitality. Your house ROCKS!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

O

I would have LOVED to attend this but it wasn't in the cards. At least I played a small role in brining exotica to the Tampa Bay area when Keith Pawlak and Tom Baxter allowed the Florida Orchestra to play Les Baxter's "Mai Tai" last year. I hope they will make the music on this recent concert available to other orchestras.

Incidentally, my exotica group Stolen Idols had a gig tonight and we did Les Baxter's "Busy Port," with an arrangement closer to Les's original than Martin Denny's version. This was a good week for Les! :wink:

D

I have to say it was a very special weekend getting hang out with Jeff and Bob Drasnin, Mark & Maggie and Skip and Keith from the U of A. I have to say that I have an even deeper appreciation for Les Baxter and his music after this. Having heard the recordings many times over. Typically, when you hear a piece of music and begin to deconstruct it, you realize how simple all the components of the piece are. When hearing Les's music performed live, I was able to make out the individual instrument's parts and was amazed at just how complex the music really is. It is very cinematic and grand in scope.

It was a true privilege to hear this music performed live for the first time in over 50 years! Keith Pawlak deserves serious kudos for putting this thing together. Hopefully it will not be the last concert of this type.

D

Oh, one more thing. I have to say what a blast it was to meet Ernie Menehune and see Menehune Village!!

Aloha everybody,

Look for my article on Ernie Menehune in the next issue of Tiki Magazine.

It has some really cool info that has never been reported before. HINT: he is related to another BIG Hawaiian entertainer.

Due August 1st 2009!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 28 replies