Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Smokin' Menehunes are back at the Kitchen Friday! 11/21/08 7-9pm

Pages: 1 27 replies

Hot off the COCONUT-BONG wire: The Smokin' Menehunes will be playing the Catalina Fish Kitchen Friday (11/21/08) from 7:00 to 9:00.

"The Smokin' Menehunes play the swinging jazz songs of the golden age of Hawaiian music. Imagine yourself sitting beneath the banyon tree at the old Moana Hotel in Waikiki in the 1940's and sipping on a mai tai as the Smokin' Menehunes ignite all the songs that made that era memorable."

See their Myspace page here: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=177595352

This is a fun, family-friendly venue freeway close in the heart of Orange County.

Catalina Fish Kitchen
19171 Magnolia St (about a mile south of the 405)
Huntington Beach, CA 92646
(714) 963-9921

[ Edited by: soccertiki 2008-11-17 17:50 ]

yeah I've been missing these guys.
I know I wanna see the Hula girls too,but.
I hope that the Menahunes keep a little bit of public gigs from time to time.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

More then likely.

If you like old school traditional Hawaiian swing, Catalina Fish Kitchen is the place to be this Friday!

This is one of two bands we work with. The other being "the Hula Girls" (Sun era Elvis meets Hawaiian era Elvis meets the stray cats!!)

So bring your Waimea cowboy lemonades and settle in for a nice relaxing evening listening to the golden voice of Palika Pat Enos, accompanied by Tiki Bong and Lucas Vigor!!

cool, bump

WooHoo!!! 1 More Day!!!! :)

A

in
Mahalo,
Al

WooHoo!! TGIF Finally!!! I can't wait to see The Smokin Menehunes tonight :)

Nice to see so many TC'ers there last night! Woohoo and soccer, al-ii, polypop, BTD and incredbly, tiki ray and his wahine! Glad you all made it down! the place was packed!

We were running behind and got there late but what a great show . Soccer and Woo hoo saved us front row seats and right next to Bill Tapia .Cindy had never seen him play before and I think she just fell in love with him too . The band was playing more animated than Ive ever seen as well . Good to see BTD .

I think it has something to do with the excitement level of the audience. The band feeds off that. it's a collaborative effect. The band tries to increase the energy (Not easy when you are playing mellow music, of course) and the audience reflects it.
If I see people getting into it, I play better. I put more heart in it. Of course, a good musician should be able to do that even if no one is watching, but...I am not that good.
Bill Tapia is something else! How the heck does he do it? Soon to be 101 and still playing great, thinking great..and DRESSING great!
Tiki Ray, thanks for coming all the way down from Cucamonga. It meant a lot to me!
I got to meet Polypop's son, and there were a few other Tiki people who I did not meet, but I am sure Woohoo can say who they were.
I like playing there. I feel it is something like clubs must have been in the old days, minus the cigarette girl and the formal attire.
I recently saw the excellent movie "Pillow talk" (one of the famous Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies of the late 50's.) and there are many scenes of them going to clubs (no tiki bars sadly) where they see jazz combos, latin groups, etc.. I like that vibe a lot. It reminds me of what we do at the Catalina fish kitchen.
I see a lot of older people in the audience who probably remember those days very well!
Syd, the old guy who tap dances...I finally figured out which little rascal he was. There were two "Bullies", Butchy and Woim. He was Woim.

Lucas yeah I'd say there was about 20 TCers there.

you guys rocked the hula(in a mellow way)last night,
hope your back there for awhile.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WooHoo!! What a fun night! The Smokin Menehunes once again packed The Catalina Fish Kitchen from wall to wall with their fans, friends, & families. It was great to see a lot of people from TC there to help Welcome Back The Smokin Menehunes to The Catalina Fish Kitchen. Even Tiki Ray & TikiKiniki made the trek from Rancho Cucamonga. Can't wait until next month.

Special Guest appearance from Sid (One of the Orginal Little Rascals)

DJ Lavaflow & Tiki Farm Sharon

Polynesian Pam & Betty Bleu

Maui Matt & Mrs. and Surfer1961

Makenna the Future "Devilette"

Bill Tapia still going strong at 100

Sammi, Bong's Daughter

Thats ah 1961surf there Wahooooooo.Good music-Good people-Good food-Good times!
Aloha to all that were in attendance .

Hot off the COCONUT-BONG wire: The Smokin' Menehunes will be playing the Catalina Fish Kitchen on Friday, October 24th from 7:00 to 9:00.

See their Myspace page here: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=177595352

This is a fun, family-friendly venue freeway close in the heart of Orange County.

Catalina Fish Kitchen
(714) 963-9921

Last month was a special treat with centenarian Bill Tapia (still performing @ 100!!!) and Sid (one of the last of the original Little Rascals) stepping up to the stage.

What tricks or treats will the Smokin' Menehunes have in store this month? Come out and see!

WooHoo! Only two more days :)

On 2008-10-17 07:36, WooHooWahine wrote:
Hot off the COCONUT-BONG wire: The Smokin' Menehunes will be playing the Catalina Fish Kitchen on Friday, October 24th from 7:00 to 9:00.

Catalina Fish Kitchen
(714) 963-9921

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-10-22 21:02 ]

hey Boys, can we get a few different songs than the same ol set?

not that its bad,
just liven it up a but with a few new ones.
:)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I saw them the last time they were there and it was great . I recomend the shrimp gumbo but order 2 . One just gets you started . This is so much more intimate of a show than when I saw them play the Staples center .

TM

We have a song list of over 60 songs.

TM

On 2008-10-22 23:51, TIKI-RAY wrote:
I saw them the last time they were there and it was great . I recomend the shrimp gumbo but order 2 . One just gets you started . This is so much more intimate of a show than when I saw them play the Staples center .

That was a great gig, Tiki Ray!

KISS was so cool about letting us open for them. Backstage, Gene Simmons and I were trading bass playing tips, and he taught me a bit about platform shoes and firebreathing. It's funny, Paul Stanley told us basically the same thing that Big Tiki Dude did, mainly, that our songs are painfully boring and that we need to liven things up a bit.

Hence, the firebreathing and blood splurting lessons I got from Gene. Though I happen to think that the Hawaiian songs we play are some of the best classics in Hawaiian music from the golden age of tiki, I can see how some people might disagree. But it's going to be hard to talk Pat into playing surf rock, you know? He is kind of set in his ways.

I'm not saying play surf, Im saying play some dif songs.
if possible,
if not, Im fine with the same old songs.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

leaving soon for this,
who else is going?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Bumpin' for a new date!!! For those who can't make it to Glendale or Sunset Beach Beach this Friday...Can we do all three???? Not this time unfortunately!!!
This just in: The Smokin' M's playing at Catalina Fish Kitchen on 11/21/08 at 7:00

doh

If you haven't see The Smokin Menehunes play at The Catalina Fish Kitchen tonights the night :)

Catalina Fish Kitchen
(714) 963-9921

(7-9pm 11/21/08)

TM

There were other events going on in the tiki world that night, but we had a full crowd, and I mean FULL. There was nowhere to sit this time. I like to think it is because the Smoking Menehunes were there, but it could also be that the parking lot was finally opened up!! (they just opened the Home Depot next door)

Pages: 1 27 replies