Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Towering 8 foot tiki seen on the streets of San Diego!

Pages: 1 5 replies

Aloha all- Thought that you might dig this, just spent the weekend in Carlsbad, up on a hill overlooking the water, creating an 8x8 foot original drawing on the street, featuring, of course, a towering tiki! The event happens every year at this time, they shut down the street for two days, and a whole gaggle of artists hit the asphalt, which benefits children's art programs. Enjoy!
Mahalo,
Chris C-

Way to take Tiki to the Streets, Chris! How many atrtists usually participate?

B

Dang Chris that is KILLER!!!!!!

Thanks Hank and Tom for your positive input. The event usually attracts about 150 chalk artists, some new to the medium, some very familiar with the crawl-in-the-street-and-make-a-picture ritual. The composition that I chose was a perspective trick, with an enormous idol rising high above a jungle village. The process is pretty painstaking, but with a little patience, it's possible to achieve some great results. I do it 'cuz it benefits a good cause, gives the public an opportunity to witness how a drawing is developed, and because I get the chance to draw something HUGE on the ground without worrying about getting caught!

[ Edited by: flaskgrasper 2008-09-27 11:21 ]

On 2008-09-27 11:17, flaskgrasper wrote:
... I get the chance to draw something HUGE on the ground without worrying about getting caught!

LOL!

Aloha everybody- Just wanted to add the photo taken from the cherry picker of my drawing. It gives you an aerial perspective of the composition, and hopefully affords an effective point of view, on how I designed the tiki to look like it was looming hundreds of feet above the village!

Pages: 1 5 replies