Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

NOTE: Political discussion is not to happen on Tiki Central

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

... even as jokes.

That's Tiki Central's #1 rule.

That might sound hard-ass, but take it from me -- it quickly spirals out of control. Always. It's been a while since I've had to have moderation around politics, so I'm issuing this as a warning. But if it happens again, I will issue temporary bans for everyone who participates in a political topic.

A final note:

No one's in trouble. Yet. :wink:

To anyone who participated in the Obama post -- don't feel singled out here. It's been a long time since this has come up, and this is just a friendly but firm reminder to everyone.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2008-09-27 03:46 ]

Does "Shout" count?

T

Soon the nightmare will be over and the U.S.A will be great again!

I know that Shout is usually "anything goes" ... but Shout counts as well for this rule.

And TikLaLe is the first person to be banned for breaking the rules. Way to go.

Yes, I am very serious about this.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2008-09-26 15:07 ]

Hanford is right...

Not in a right-wing vs. left-wing kinda right..

I mean right about no politics on this site...

It's best for all.

Thanks, Hanford!

Mea culpa. Mahalo for the reminder.

Seriously guys, say far away from politics for the next couple of months. I've already banned TikiLale for it, and I'm going to be a hard-ass on this and not let people slide single liners and potshots in there thinking they're funny and "not going too far over the edge".

Please, drop it. Everyone.

T

This is best for all.
Is religion in there too?
As in don't bring up.

Thank you Hanford.

K

Big mahalo, Hanford - I appreciate Tiki Central being one of the few places on-line or off that I can get away from politics for a while.

J

On 2008-09-26 21:12, tikiskip wrote:
Is religion in there too?

Also part of

On 2008-09-26 14:46, hanford_lemoore wrote:
... Tiki Central's #1 rule.

Thats the same rule on sg101 also.
and I for 1 appreciate it.

no matter what way you like to vote or where you go to church,has nothing to do with your love of the stuff your discussing on a certain forum.

keep it to your selves.

thanks Hanford.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

You should have this in BOLD!

...and keep it at the top.

MAhalo Mr. H for a place to escape

from the not so much real world.

Amen!

The political jabs is one of the things that made this long time TCer walk away years ago.

I agree with Ben, this should be a place for escape. I've said that all along. If I wanted to hear 'news' and 'politics', I'd be on an CNN website.

Thanks again. Your firm actions are appreciated.

Amen!

The political jabs is one of the things that made this long time TCer walk away years ago.

I agree with Ben, this should be a place for escape. I've said that all along. If I wanted to hear 'news' and 'politics', I'd be on an CNN website.

Thanks again. Your firm actions are appreciated.

TS

I wonder if the bus is going to pick up TikiLale...?...lol
No politics is good politics, thanks Mr. LaMoore!

Tiki La La ~ Wish you were here! Not.

Out of curiosity, how does the "World leaders and their Tiki mugs" thread fare in all this?

On the one hand, it's essentially a Photoshop playground. On the other hand, it has always had the potential for conjuring up political imagery.

T

I thought the NUMBER ONE rule of Tiki Central is...
There is no Tiki Central.

On 2008-09-28 22:24, Ojaitimo wrote:
Tiki La La ~ Wish you were here! Not.

LOL

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2008 8:02 AM

On 2008-09-26 15:07, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I know that Shout is usually "anything goes" ... but Shout counts as well for this rule.

And TikLaLe is the first person to be banned for breaking the rules. Way to go.

Yes, I am very serious about this.

happyhappyhappy

A few people always ruin it for the majority.

Politics SUCKS, keep it on the sites that suck and off TC.

My $0.02 worth,

Brad

On the other hand...we should all go to CNN.com and discuss the best rum to go in a delicious Navy Grog.

Wish there were more people in this world like Hanford, it would be a much more civil place.

On 2008-10-10 15:23, Jason Wickedly wrote:
On the other hand...we should all go to CNN.com and discuss the best rum to go in a delicious Navy Grog.

We've already invaded the WSJ...

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 7:22 AM

On 2008-10-12 07:53, tiki-riviera wrote:

Wish there were more people in this world like Hanford, it would be a much more civil place.

Yeah, I'm gonna vote Hanford as a write in on the Tiki Party ticket...

One day, there will be a cure for tiki,
That's the day I'll throw my rum away...

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-10-13 07:33 ]

W

"On the other hand...we should all go to CNN.com and discuss the best rum to go in a delicious Navy Grog." -Jason Wickedly-

Man, I dig that idea. Instead of muckin' things up 'round let's Tiki it up everywhere else.

T

On 2008-09-27 20:15, the75stingray wrote:
Amen!

But The Jab is not political. :)

Welcome back!

L

Why, though? I mean I don’t want to be disruptive or anything and obviously I totally see where you’re coming from with that big number one rule. It’s just that I do think it should be allowed to discuss anything in a forum like this one, so long as the people involved in the discussions argue rationally, without insulting anyone else or their ideas and beliefs. Then obviously they should be banned, but if they just write their opinion about a topic, that’s nothing bad, is it?

Tiki Central is my happy place.

Walter Eckland:
"Frank, you can't do that! I'll go over your head! Who's in charge here? He is!
Frank, you can't do that to me! Tiki Central all I have!"

On 2008-10-13 16:26, lois201 wrote: It’s just that I do think it should be allowed to discuss anything in a forum like this one, so long as the people involved in the discussions argue rationally, without insulting anyone else or their ideas and beliefs.

exactly, that is why hanford has that rule :D

TM

On 2008-10-13 16:26, lois201 wrote:
Why, though? I mean I don’t want to be disruptive or anything and obviously I totally see where you’re coming from with that big number one rule. It’s just that I do think it should be allowed to discuss anything in a forum like this one, so long as the people involved in the discussions argue rationally, without insulting anyone else or their ideas and beliefs. Then obviously they should be banned, but if they just write their opinion about a topic, that’s nothing bad, is it?

Who are you?

W

"...I do think it should be allowed to discuss anything in a forum like this one, so long as the people involved in the discussions argue rationally, without insulting anyone else or their ideas and beliefs." -lois201-

As you're a new arrival I will do this interpretive dance while telling you part of our story...

Many many lime harvests ago the island of Tiki Central was apparently formed on top of some sort of semi-dormant psychological volcano. Over the years of our inhabiting this beautiful place there have been numerous sudden eruptions.

Being a primitive rum drinking people we can't explain the reason for the eruptions but they seem to be connected with deeply held beliefs and opinions and the fact that a lot of us our descendants of the Hothead People. (The Outer Intelligencia Hothead People, not the Smallhead Hotheads of Numbskull Island.)

But because of the eruptions some former inhabitants have left the island never to be heard from again. A few have had to be set adrift when it was found their heads could not be cooled.

Those of us who stayed have often reacted to an eruption by banging on King Hanford's hut door and whining or demanding to know what he's going to do about the eruptions and vowing to not let him marry our daughters when they come of age.

King Hanford decided long long ago it would be far easier to prevent the eruptions from happening in the first place rather than spend his time running around negotiating peace deals among the various condo developments of Tiki Central. And that is why he gave us The Tiki Central House Rules.

Some islanders may regard the no politics and religion discussion rule as "No you can't!" but I think that's sort of like going into Grog's 151 Flavors Ice Cream Hut and Fine Malt Liquors Shack looking over the list of 151 ice cream flavors and saying "What? No Banana Pomegranate Swirl???"

:music: If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. :music:

GOOD JOB! This just happened on another site I use for my amateur radio escapism.(Nerd Land, I know) If you are interested please see link below. BTW, I am in the process of learning to keep it positive without being fake. I have found that passions of the heart are good for the soul. If you have a passion on debating political ideas, there are tons of websites that will gladly welcome you and feed your anxt. Again, Thank You!

http://forums.qrz.com/announcement.php?f=23

S

Thankfully, Leiachevy over on Owl Central just made the same rule statement. Take it outside.

On 2008-10-14 10:24, Unga Bunga wrote:
:music: If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. :music:

• Neil Peart

This site is an escape from the nasty everyday world we live in. If you want to discuss politics, log on to Politico Central & fire away. Now, I'm going down to my lounge, turn on some tunes & take a dive into a nice peaceful Mai-Tai. Sounds good doesn't it? If we keep TC escapism, we can escape to that place just by logging on & chatting with our TC Ohana!
Mahalo!
Rick

H

On 2008-10-13 16:26, lois201 wrote:

So why exactly would you want to have political discussions here when there are plenty of other places you could have them?

And why do you believe people should "be allowed to discuss 'anything' in a forum like this one"? This is Tiki Central, not Anything Central.

Please read the link below and decide if this is really the right place for you:
http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php

TM

Because this poster is probably someone who got banned, posting under a new user name with a different computer. That's why in only 8 posts, they jump to the most controversial thread they can (besides ones I have started in Bilge, that is!!). Anyway, troll city.

All of this discussion about not discussing Politics is starting to make me feel uncomfortable......
HANFORD!!!!

Preach on Brother Riviera!, or is it Brother T-Bird! Seriously kool T-Bird by the way!

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Oct 14, 2008 6:25 PM

What if we're discussing which tiki we think is the Biggest Kahuna so to speak?!? i.e. Ku vs. Lono and who we would vote for and why...?

OY!

Bump!!!!!!!

Bump!!!!!!!!

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2008-10-15 19:51, RevBambooBen wrote:
Bump!!!!!!!

Bump!!!!!!!!

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF was that! Did anyone else just feel an earthquake?

You can always follow the Austrailian M&Ms.

http://election.m-ms.com.au/

Pages: 1 2 53 replies