Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Anyone know the difference in Danny Balsz

Pages: 1 2 replies

TS

I recently bought the black Moai with a white base and it had "The Tikis Monterey Park" in black stamped-on/screened-on letters. I came across an identical cast mug, with the exception if an all black base and "The Tikis" was scribed into the clay mold bottom itself under the black glaze....Any idea of why the 2 different cast styles? Which one is earlier than the other, and is the market price the same on both mugs?

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-09-28 09:00 ]

Moai mugs from The Tikis came in a variety of variants.

I have two Moai mugs from The Tikis, once which reads: "The Tikis, Monterey Park", while the other says "The Tikis, So. San Gabriel". Except for the difference in city name, they are identical.

It seems that although The Tikis ordered the same style of mug, variances depended on when they were ordered and who manufactured them (OMC and others?). I am not aware if a chronology of the various variants, but it would be an interesting exercise.

On 2008-09-28 08:59, Tom Slick wrote:
I recently bought the black Moai with a white base and it had "The Tikis Monterey Park" in black stamped-on/screened-on letters. I came across an identical cast mug, with the exception if an all black base and "The Tikis" was scribed into the clay mold bottom itself under the black glaze....Any idea of why the 2 different cast styles? Which one is earlier than the other, and is the market price the same on both mugs?

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-09-28 09:00 ]

TS

Bosko, and Sven are two people who I know would have the answer if anyone!

So tikipedia, that would mean that there are seemingly 3 designs/makers, if not maybe more? I'll try to get some pictures up to show the variances, and maybe someone could better see the differences. The Moai mug itself seems like an identical mold cast, like you stated. Its just the bottom stamp(s) vs. the glazed over, scratched-in lettering.

Pages: 1 2 replies