Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Possible Witco find! . . . Up for GRABS!!!

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha TC Ohana,

I just returned from the Melrose Flea Market, where I encountered a possible Witco find!

, I am not skilled enough to know how to verify a Witco by site, but I did take pictures with my camera phone.

It certainly LOOKED like a Witco, with the shape, solidness, and layered wood treatment that is so distinctive.

It is a long low bench (about 5ft) with carved base and sides that curl up. There is a black leather cushion on top. Very substantial & solid.

When I asked, the dealer (who spoke broken English) said it was 'old' and from 'Hawaii'. When I was taking pics he added, 'I think I have two stools.'

By this time I was freaking out about what I may have found, when Adam, in his typical cynical fashion walked by and said 'It's ugly.'
(well, yeah! But that's not the !)

You guys understand.

I said I might have a friend who might like it, and asked if he would bring it next week. He said he would, plus the stools.

I asked how much for the bench and he said $125.00. If it is a Witco, that's one hell of a deal!

I will try to get the pics from the phone posted up here. Also, if you send me your cell # and you can pics, I can send you those easy.

Any help identifying would be great.

Anyone who wants this, just show up early at the Melrose flea market next week.
I could meet you there and help you find the vendor too if you wanted.

Pretty hard to miss though. :)

Happy Hunting!!!!!

Wish I were a little closer because that is a great find. If indeed Witco that is a crazy price!

Thanks for posting and I hope some lucky devil is able to get this!

PTD

was it one of these

Thank you Tiki David!

YES! It is the TOP bench!
This was a WITCO!

Wow! How awesome is THAT???!!!!

So yeah. . . . the vendor guy said he would bring it and the 'matching stools' with him next Sunday.

That's the Melrose flea market folks! Be there!

We have WITCO confirmation.

Whoever gets it, you can by me a drink at Tiki Ti's. :wink:

~Atomikitty

Crap!

I will be nowhere near Melrose this weekend...almost worth a trip down though. Wish I could be there...good luck to the ones that will be~

PTD

WITCO CONFIRMED!

This is the pic I took @ The Flea Market.

He will be at the Melrose Flea market next Sunday, and said he would bring the bench, and the'matching stools.' (No idea what they look like.)

Come and get it!

I want TC Ohana who love Witco to get this bench!
Not some dumb dealer who will marking it up sky high and try to resell!

We would really love to have the bench and stools. We do have the perfect places for them. Thank you so much for posting about them, Attomikitty! It would be super to meet you if you are available and it is not too much trouble. I have pm'd you with our contact information.
Thank you!!
Gem

[ Edited by: sparklegem 2008-09-30 11:57 ]

Did anyone pick these up?

I hope so!

Let us know and post pictures!

I went and supposedly found the guy. (I think it was the right guy since he knew the price)
The bench was not there, he said that he had it at home. I was totally bummed.

CJ

I was there to looking for it. No luck but I did pick up a nice Coco Joe piece.

Awww. That sucks!

He TOLD me he would bring the bench as well as the stools this week.

Sorry to all you brave trekkers and scavengers who came in search of Witco. :(
Hope that day wasn't a total loss. At least it was a nice day out.

Whew!
I tracked down the vendor, gave him a call and now I am the proud owner of the above mentioned bench.
It now lives right in the entryway to our house, just below a Witco sabre.

atomikitty thanks so much for the heads up.

Best
Mark

CJ

Good Job! I'm jealous!

Pages: 1 12 replies