Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Question about "B. Ka'ai"

Pages: 1 10 replies

TM

If any Hawaiian music experts are out there, I wonder if you could help figure something out for me about the musician listed on the "Hukilau Hulas" compilation CD as "B. Kaai"

The little information I have is that he released songs in the early 60's, novelty songs like "Keep your eyes on the hands". The production quality was excellent, with really good studio musicians (especially the steel player) and he had a voice similar to Don Ho, but much better. He also seems to have been listed on an arranger for sessions involving the Tavares brothers.

An internet search revealed absolutely nothing, except an older musician, Ernie Ka'ai. (possible my guy is a descendent or relative?)

I don't even have a first name.

King Kukulele? Anyone?

M

Lucas, do your next search under the name Bernie Kaai and you'll see his real last name was Lewis, a haole boy who was dang good on the steel.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Oct 3, 2008 6:21 AM

Haha, I did the same thing! When I heard him sing on Hukilau Hulas I was in love! What a sweet voice! I started searching for more. Found out it was Bernie. A few things will show up on Ebay. I sent the tune to Pablus. He needs to sing that. Bernie was a musician, but man, what a sweet voice!

P
pablus posted on Fri, Oct 3, 2008 6:31 AM

I only sing Industrial Post Grunge Screamo now.

With a uke.

K

Bernie Ka'ai Lewis also recorded with The Polynesians on Crown records. He did a solo album on Kolapa Productions of California sometime in the 60s or 70s (no date on the LP) but here's some info from the liner notes:

Born in 1921 in Hakalau, near Hilo, Hawaii. Graduated from University of Chicago w/ a music degree. Got a music Master's degree from UCLA. Worked as an arranger for entertainers, television, films. In 1948 he cut his only other solo LP called "Hawaiian Skies." (Which I've never come across.)

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Oct 4, 2008 6:22 AM

Listen to track 16 to hear what we're talking about.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-10-19 20:12 ]

K

I've recently aquired a new (2007) 2 CD set from Delta Entertainment (www.deltaentertainment.com) on ebay called "Hawaii: Sweet Leilani." It has 30 tracks, 17 of which are by "The Polynesians" from their old Crown label records...most of these feature Bernie Kaai as a group member, so if you liked "Hukilau Hulas" CD or LPs, this has a very similar sound. 2 of the other tracks are instrumentals & the other tracks are all natures sounds.."Ka'anapali Beach","Waikiki at Sunset" etc.
I know there have been a few threads mentioning the long over-looked "Polynesians" andI'm glad to see some of their material seeeing the light of day again.

Bernie also played with Paul Page.

TM

On 2008-10-18 15:07, Kaiwaza wrote:
I've recently aquired a new (2007) 2 CD set from Delta Entertainment (www.deltaentertainment.com) on ebay called "Hawaii: Sweet Leilani." It has 30 tracks, 17 of which are by "The Polynesians" from their old Crown label records...most of these feature Bernie Kaai as a group member, so if you liked "Hukilau Hulas" CD or LPs, this has a very similar sound. 2 of the other tracks are instrumentals & the other tracks are all natures sounds.."Ka'anapali Beach","Waikiki at Sunset" etc.
I know there have been a few threads mentioning the long over-looked "Polynesians" andI'm glad to see some of their material seeeing the light of day again.

What a shame. Apparently http://www.deltaentertainment.com no longer exists. This album is gone for good.

K

It's a realitvly new CD..strange. Anyway, Lucas, check ebay and amazon..I've seen several copies of it up for sale recently.

TM

Actually found one late yesterday, and ordered it!

Pages: 1 10 replies