Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Lagoon Room Improvements

Pages: 1 19 replies

A

Aloha,
I really have to hand it to talented Tiki Centralites who have raised the "bar" on the home Tiki Bar. From the Humuhmu Room to the Pi Yi Lanai, to Turbo God's TTT bar, from the bar setups at Bong's, Baxter's, Smiley's, Sten Tiki's, Basement Kahuna's, Kick the Reverb's, Johny Velour's and Big Bro's impressive collection, you have inspired me in the ongoing labor of love that is the Lagoon Room. Shelley and I bought our place two and a half years ago and I started building the bar almost immediately.

Here's a very early version of the bar. Tiki bar 1.0

Then I added the thatch and reed fence.

For the latest revamp I got some Masks at Oceanic Arts. I also built this shelf.

before

after

I have been experimenting with Tapa lighting. The next step in the bar is to do the ceiling. I'm going to make a bunch of beachcomber lights. I made this lampshade.

Before

After a few OA masks. OA makes everything better

I've got a few more Tikis and I got this nautical lamp and wired it. Shelley just purchased this Giant Clam Shell from a neighbors front yard, $25.00. (That 50 Pounds Sterling, Woody)

Bong gave me this cool Captain's Quarters sign.

Aloha,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-03-15 19:06 ]

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2003-03-16 09:27 ]

Ahhh, The Lagoon Room, I've lost many a valiant brain cell there!

The Lagoon Room is indeed magnificant. And combined with the beautiful view of the jungle-green, cloud-shrouded mountains in the back, and the gracious hosts in front, makes it one of my most favorite summer week-end get-aways in So Cali!

I'm glad Summer is on it's way!

T

Looks mighty nice there! I was thinking of doing the same to my ceiling.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-03-15 19:50 ]

Wow. What a transformation. Considering that I live in Vista, perhaps I might be privledged enough to see it first hand at some future TC event.

I am in process of redecorating our living room to be more Tiki but I don't think I will even be close to the monument you have created. I have a question. What did you use to panel the cieling? Was it difficult or expensive? Is that matting mega flammable or is it treated?

Thanks,

Da Monkeyman

And I thought that place couldnt get any better, WOW nice job, I really like the masks. Your becoming quite the lamp builder.

Talk about raising the bar! Very nice.

Ah yes...The Lagoon Room -- My favorite Tiki Bar. Al, stupendous job as usual. Can't wait for a return visit.

Very nice bar, indeed. Did the hot girl come with it? :) Your carpentry is impeccable. Neatness is the benchmark of a gentleman! Ceiling treatments are my next big thing. What's the order spec on that matting on yours? My two options were matting/bamboo or tapa/bamboo, and seeing yours I think the matting has so much more of a classy look. Ya got any movie prop builders that are friends? I was visualizing how good a blown fiberglass tiki mantle would look there(that way you could just take it off for cleaning):0

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-03-16 10:11 ]

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-03-17 00:07 ]

G

I gon be in da Lagoon Room in June fo suck em up baby!

Great pics Al! one day I'll work on my own place. Untill then i jus gon enjoy everyones here. I'll be visiting as many home tiki bars as I can wen I visit da mainland since those are really the only great places to go being that the music sucks at most of the public tiki bars.

Lookin towars your visit in April. I hope you guys will be here for a Friday so you can experience the last of Hawaii's tiki bars. The vintage La Mariana.

A

Aloha,
Turbo God and Monkey Man, I purchased my "bamboo board" at Franks Cane and Rush Supply.I paid $27.00 a 4 X 8 sheet, $17.00 a piece for ten or more. Frank's has many types of matting and thatch, I think they're chemically treated, check them out,
http://WWW.franksupply.com .
Oceanic Arts also has a variety of tropical materials, http://www.oceanicarts.net . I found that the sheets were a little unwieldy and kind of heavy, when you're on top of the ladder, it was kind of a pain in the ass. Monkey Man and Turbo God, Feel free to drop in anytime you're in Oceanside. You can reach me at [email protected] .

Hula Hula, Thanks Bra, Sorry I missed the crawl, Next year for sure.

Mr. Tiki Bar, When I listed my inspiration from everyone's home bar, I was careful to try and include everyone's home bar. I forgot to mention Turbogods, Hula Hula's and your place. And you guys were among the first to post on this thread. How can I forget Mr. Tiki Bar's Tiki Bar?

Gecko, We look forward to seeing you next month. Are you coming to the mainland soon? La Mariana here we come. Shaka.

BK, You should rethink the Tapa wall treatments. I think a mix is best.

This is a cotton lava lava, we got it cheaply at a thrift store.

More cotton from a thrift store.

On the walls I have Reed Fence, "Bamboo Board", and Tapa Cloth. I like the Tiki Bar look and feel of the different textures. Go to the Franks website and look at all the stuff they have. You can get some great ideas.

Bong and PP, Come on down, It;s time for a Mai Tai.
Mahalo,
Al

T

WOW! Fantastic Tiki Bar Paradise!
GREAT JOB!!!!

I just got a new digi-camera, so I will soon post some shots of my outdoor Tiki pool and paradise (it would go great with your room).

Hey, Oceanside isn’t that far from Laguna Niguel.

Cheers!

TikiMan

I
Ikit posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2003 9:49 PM

That is VERY nice!

I like both of those things on the walls...I'm with you on that.I've had both on my walls since the getgo....(don't know if the below photos of some tapa print stuff on our wall and my friend Joe with the N.G.Gope board are clear enough or too dark) I was talking about the ceiling...I like that clean look of the trimmed matting. You did a hell of a job with that. Again I say you are a true carpenter! I notice, too that your bamboo is a good size...very important to the right look. I like how you picked some New Guinea stuff from OA as well. Your mix is right on. We have several pieces in our bar from New Guinea (a large Gope board, a Paupuan Gulf shield, two Asaro ancestor figures, and two upper Sepik River spirit masks). It's really beautiful art. It seems like a lot of people don't really get exactly how diverse the mix of ingredients was in the original 50's Tiki temple. The Tikis, the weapons, the wall and ceiling flotsam from all over the Pacific Rim, the greenery, the bamboo, the music....such a fragile, enchanting, and beautiful illusion the original Tiki bars were...

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-03-19 22:31 ]

P.S. your idea with the album covers....That's great...mind if I borrow that for my guest bedroom hall? (I wanna ask permission first...Remember that Seinfeld episode where George stole Jerry's "move"? )

Excellent Stuff!!! Wow. Since I haven't even begun to construct anything yet (and am going to have to add onto an already added onto house to do it) this certainly offers some marvelous inspiration to me!
Do any of you know anything, though, about purchasing from Oceanic Arts Long Distance, or does it pretty much require a trip to Whittier?

Okay, I know it's been said before but I will say it again and now, The Lagoon Room is AWESOME. No doubt about it. Thanks Al & Shelley for you generosity and grace. You're home is sweet. And Al mixes delicious drinks like a master.

K
kctiki posted on Thu, May 1, 2003 3:35 PM

Marvelous! The Lagoon Room has brightened my day for sure. Next time my digitally competant friend drops by I will post some photos of my pad too. My latest decorating technique was discovered quite by mistake. Had to re-arrange the bedroom to accomodate new furniture and the night-light ended up on top of the dresser right under my tiki mug shelf. Illuminated from below the tikis really come to life. Thanks again for an inspirational supercharge!

Hey Alnshely, can you tell us who made your ceiling lamp (Orchids of Hawaii, I think)?

Does it have a translucent fiberglass cylinder about 6" wide by 10" long in the middle? Is that real tapa cloth? Have you ever had to clean the tapa? Sorry for the questions; I've found something very similar and am doing some research on it's origin and care.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-07-05 23:11 ]

A

Shelley bought this lamp in a second hand store in Carson City for $35.00. It has no makers mark, I have no idea who made it. It does have a fiberglass cylinder like you describe and is made from real Tapa. My lamp has only been wiped off with a clean cloth or feather duster. I have seen tapa lamps so thick with dust, cigarette smoke and gunk that it seems easier to replace the tapa than clean it.I don't know the best way to clean filth off tapa. I would start with water then move to "goo gone" possibly even a stronger solvent. Tapa can be pretty tough, but, a 40 year old lamp may be pretty delicate. Be careful. See this post for an idea of how to make or repair tapa lamps

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7482&forum=7&58

Mahalo,
Al

Thanks, the lamps have inspired me to learn more about tapa cloth. I ran across this neat article from the Bishop Museum last night on tapa cloth conservation:
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/pdfs/cnsv-tapa.pdf

Pages: 1 19 replies