Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

preparing for first log carving

Pages: 1 7 replies

ok guys forgive my impatience i am sure there is many posts here for this paticular subject but i have a few different questions i wish i had the time to filter and search lol :)

#1.. i have a nice size maybe 2 1/2 foot tall oak log debarked and dried picked up from a weekend camping adventure. the camp guy allowed me to bring home a log to play with..

#2.. how difficult is it to carve into oak? is it an ideal ? since that is all i have what are reccomendations for getting it into something eye catching?

#3.. tools. limited here. no chain saw and i really am not ready to start big though i am stubborn enough if i had a working chain saw to try LOL.. i have a chisel.. one.. flat and about 3 inches width \

any tips and what tools are best to use/collect and have on hand for future stuff. having a hard time finding exactly the answers im looking for to my questions on my own

i've been working on bones latley but do want to work on wood as well.. this has been a 2 month new thing in my life im enjoying it so much! when i have the "canvas!"

maybe just my PC the images ive posted arent showing up...dang, well i have alot of pics on my myspace album, link somewhere in my profile here :)

[ Edited by: TikiVooBella 2008-10-03 19:17 ]

B

VooBella, Just came from your My Space and found your Awesome works there. You really ROCK and are already doing some excellent work.
Do a search here for Tools and you will come up with a days worth of reading and links.
Here is your My Space link, go into edit of this message and copy and paste the link to your profile/signature and it will show up on all your posts:

MYSPACE

Good luck finding the right tools which for the big hairy oak log (Hard but good carving) get some gouges 1/4" to 1" sweeps 3 thr 7. Now that makes no sense but when you find a place that sells them it will .

oak is a hard wood, but it produces a beautiful result.

Don't be scared to really cut into your log. You'll learn something every time you put chisel to wood.

Don't get discouraged if the log fights back. That's part of the fun. Wood has a way of telling you what it wants to become.

As for tools, Benzart knows his stuff.

thanks guys. i'll stay on my toes here and there see what i can find/get/make. will keep ya'll posted on progress when i begin.. i am a little intimidated by the amount of work involved at hacking away at the thing lol over something electric or gas powered you know? but i know my first log tiki will look groovy even if funky and crooked when all said and done!
almost wish i still had this palm tree in my front yard!.. we cut it down over a year ago, logs i could have held on too.. who knew then i would ever need/want them now! i believe it was a queen palm.

ok well im using what i have for the time being, since im about broke and without a job i cant go out and buy a set of tools i need just yet. so.. with my chisel and hammer i decided to start taking off a small layer from my oak log. it seemed to need it anyway as under the small layer i hack off the wood seems powdery. under that its fine and looks workable.. and softer. time consuming! how do people do this by nothing more than the hammer in?? my arm is tired already. i can see this is going to be a lengthy project for a first start on the wood..i am anxious though for progression. whatever it ends up to be i will be proud of it for sure :)
i'll bring up some photos soon. i know some people who may have some tools i can use, i'll be asking around

maybe somebody will feel sorry for the aspiring "carving artist" and donate LOL!

either way, its art therapy for me, im loving it

B

Let the fun begin, I know there are a few TC'rs lurking around your area too who could maybe get you going in the right direction.
Carving the big log is not much different from carving the small stick or bone, you just use a bit bigger tools and it takes a bit more time and energy, just draw out your design and start chipping away. It'll be a big tiki before you know it!
Do you still need help with the MySpace link?

i forgot about mussin with the myspace link, lol.. when you said to put my link into the edit portion there was no link to copy paste if thats what you were getting at.. it showed up as a clickable link.. how do i add a link address in my signature? its different HTML here im use to

Pages: 1 7 replies