Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Bert and Ernie Tiki

Pages: 1 5 replies

I have been carving Tikis out of basswood and now poplar for about a year. After leaving them bare wood, stain and varnish, danish rubbing oil, I am now using double ended broad-fine tip felt art markers and 6 coats of spar urathane to make them shiny.
I kind of messed up the eyebrows so I just went ahead and made them heavy and I like how Bert and Ernie Tiki turned out. That's a mermaid that I am going to start soon and my Foredom flex shaft carving tool in the background. I work in the City so I may stop by the Tonga room next Friday at the Tiki Crawl, if I do I'll bring Bert and Ernie Tiki along in my backpack. I sanded them after 3 coats to take the numbs off then put on another 3 coats of varnish so they are smooth to hold. Delta Dawg

lol those are cute.. would be perfect for a childs bedroom wall the mermaid looks like it will be nice i cant wait to see the finished result. be sure to post that!

TT

Welcome to Tiki Central DeltaDawg,

If you wanna create "Tiki" pieces you have come to the right place, here you are gonna be inspired, informed and educated,
and you can expect some real, honest feedback (at least from me)..
Everyone has to start somewhere and we all want to see you progress and encourage you to do exactly that..

That said..
Those are horrible...
You have a loooooooooooong way to go....
Keep at it..

B

Welcome to Tiki Central DeltaDawg, I hope you kfind the help and inspiration here to create the tikis you are looking for. It looks like the Mermaid is a much more ambitious project than the cartoony Bert and Ernie guys. Also the used Foredom along with the mermaid suggest more skills than what you used to create your "Twins" so I'm just gonna say It looks like you are hiding your real talent so I'm waiting for the good stuff! :lol:

Thanks Benz, TikiVoo, I have been practicing my nose plane and jawbone planes since my last posting I got the latest two Tikis in the forground sanded yesterday. I would like to try some teeth and a forehead detail next. Thank you for the encouragement looking at others pictures helps lots. DeltaDawg

S

Welcome Delta Dawg. Nice work you are doing fine.
TC is a fabulous place to share, create and have fun.

Pages: 1 5 replies