Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Strange CD "Relax With Blue Hawaii"

Pages: 1 3 replies

K

I just recieved the strangest CD yesterday (from ebay), "Relax With Blue Hawaii" by the Wai Ki Ki Island Orchestra on Riverboat Music, Niagara Falls. (No date...looks early 90s to me).
Does anyone have that old Crown budget label LP "Magic of Hawaii" by Sounds of A Thousands Strings & The Voivoices of Hawaii? (also released as "The Big Sound" and excerpts released on many budget label "Luke Leilani" LPs....it's the orchestra that does "Dark Dawn","Maori's Farewell","Drowsy Waters", etc.)
Well, this is THAT LP, except for some reason, they extracted the wordless chorus & the steel guitar. Wy would they do that? I have no idea...but it's interesting if you're familiar with the original. It's a bit awkward in some places as the chorus was fairly dominant & the steel guitar, though seldom used, generally carried the tune when present. They had to merge another instrumental version of "Beyond The Reef" with the Thousand Strings version, as the chorus actually sang the lyrics of the verse on that one. Very odd.
Beneath the orchestra credit, it says "Special thanks to Chief Springfeather"....hum.
You just wonder why would they go to the trouble, or there is some story behind it. Maybe Chief Springfeather couldn't stand all the "ohhhing" and "ahhing"....

O

It's possible that the wordless chorus and steel guitar were added at a later stage, and the label in question had only the original master prior to the overdubs.

M

They probably should have eliminated everything EXCEPT the steel.

S

Great news!

Pages: 1 3 replies