Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

what the hell is this??!!

Pages: 1 19 replies

...i love shags work....but i'm not so sure i understand this direction he's going......any thoughts?

It's called the "commercial" direction :) Whatever you think of them, Disney is a good client. He never pretended to not be a commercial artist (what art genre makes up Tiki style?), and I think Josh likes anything that has to do with PLAY. Why grow up when you can be an artist?

i dont begrudge shag for this at all.

i think too often people get a bit too serious here on TC when in fact all of our american tiki culture is a fantasy, a "disnification" if you will, of real polynesian culture. All of what we love was commercially inspired to begin with. People weren't building Trader Vics and the Bali Hai to NOT make money.

yes, there are variations in personal taste, and I am in the club that hates garish colors, big teeth and Parrothead crap. But I also acknowledge the right for someone else to like it. (as idiotic as they may be for it) :wink:

so feel free to hate Shag for working for Disney. But I don't think it's out of line with the history of tiki in America.

..sb

TD

THIS..... is gonna get good!

On 2008-10-06 08:27, TIKI DAVID wrote:
THIS..... is gonna get good!

no, I doubt it.

On 2008-10-06 05:44, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

...i love shags work....but i'm not so sure i understand this direction he's going......any thoughts?

Not seeing a big difference between Shag and Playmobil...

Still, you get what you pay for!

PTD

A

These have been out for about a year now....No, not tiki...but a cute piece of "Disneyana"...Almost a 1/2 point between the "Tiki" folks and the "Urban Vinyl" crowd.....(OMG...have things really got the "Clicky"...?) These pieces never really caught on...which was lucky for me. I got one for 1/2 the original price.

..okay....now everyone wait just a goddamn minute....i never said i hated shag for working for disney or for going commercial...nowhere in the first post is this even mentioned....stop putting words in my post.

i wAs merely suprised to see these cause i never saw them before and i don't recall anyone mentioning them here before...they do have a cool vintage look in terms of style.....personnally, i would like to see shag do an entire line of vinyl articulated characters based on his characters in his paintings...and if those are successful, offer actual playsets based on the environments he paints...this way you can pose and display your figures in their proper settings.......this would be a direction i could see him going cause it remains true to his painting style (especially if he likes "play")....alot of artists have gone the vinyl toy route....i just would have expected it to have happened already prior to the disney stuff. It seemed like a natural progression if he was going to branch out into the 3-d realm of vinyl...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-10-06 09:25 ]

Does anyone know if this is a $5 toy or a $100 piece of art?

TS

On 2008-10-06 17:22, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

It was a Disney $60? piece of art.

Tipsy McStagger wrote:
personnally, i would like to see shag do an entire line of vinyl articulated characters based on his characters in his paintings

Like this limited $180 piece?

Or my favorite.....

LT

On 2008-10-06 17:22, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

It's a $60 something in between.

LOL Tiki!

[ Edited by: LOL Tiki 2008-10-06 17:39 ]

W

i love shags work....but i'm not so sure i understand this direction he's going......any thoughts?

I'd say it's a piratey direction with a figurinesque skew. There's an aroma of Chinese plastic with a definite under-note of German designed toy which gives way to a mildly amusing chewy texture which definitely does not taste like chicken.

TT

The Figurine of SHAG himself is pretty cool..

Shag has done many projects which have nothing to do with tiki, he is a "commercial artist" not a "tiki artist".

We are just lucky he likes tiki imagery and uses it quite regularly to satisfy OUR tiki needs...

He is also lucky there are a large number of tiki fans to form a core fan/customer base without the need for Disney etc..

I think it's great that he gets paid (well) to design all these crazy little toys etc and it must be a good change for him to put down the brush for a few hours and work on something different...

R

that pirate reminds me of davey and goliath on sunday mornings

T

Personally I like it. Sometimes you just got to let the art flow through you....

BB

I really like the "Flank" figure, I grabbed this picture when I first saw it.

..that is pretty cool....i love his spin on monster characters...

T

I don't mind this little non-tiki Disney collectible. Plain and simple and kind of does have that child/playmobil look. Although I would have thought it would have been very reasonibly priced.

Funny enough, I hadn't seen that Shag Pirate Boy until earlier today when I saw this:

After seeing the picture and this post, I wonder if there were any more pieces/figures done from it or maybe from some of his other Disney 5 Land paintings (Like the Adventureland one)??

TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2008-10-06 21:23 ]

these pirate boys come in 2 color variations...are about 10" tall ....

if anyone wants them, i can get them for less then $60 which they sold for retail.....i have connections!!!

p.m. me for details...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-10-06 21:30 ]

On 2008-10-06 17:37, LOL Tiki wrote:

It's a $60 something in between.

/quote]

Think he'd take $10.00 for it?

(It's a joke, okay?)

Is there any correlation between what Shag did nad this?

Space-age Diversions: electronic entertainment in the form of games

Man cannot live on Tiki alone. While the confines of a great Tiki lounge provides all the necessary exotic atmosphere, there comes a time when one could use atmosphere of a different sort: the artificial atmosphere created by the electronic toils that Space-Age living has afforded us. That's right, we're talking video games. Here you'll find a nice selection of free space-age entertainment with a twist: they're all designed by our one-and-only host: Hanford Lemoore.

Click to see more screenshots at monolux.com

ROCKNOR'S DONUT FACTORY
Donuts, puzzles, and Hover Technology

Pages: 1 19 replies