Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pineapple Rum Recipes since the 18th Century

Pages: 1 1 replies

In my ever widening search for arcane and possible disgusting and/or lethal ingredients I give you the following;

PINEAPPLE RUM

Letters, from the Year 1774 to the Year 1796 By John Wilkes, 1805. Page 144.

"Monday, July 15, 1793.
I GIVE my perfect consent, my
clearest Polly, to wait for the pine-apple
rum, and orgeat, by the waggon..."

Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine 1824. Page 641:

"The American pine-apple rum is fine drinking, and I wonder it is not introduced into this country."

The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club By Charles Dickens. 1838. Page 276:

"Mr. Stiggins was easily prevailed on to take another glass of the hot
pineapple rum and water, and a second, and a third, and then to refresh
himseif with a slight supper previous to beginning again."

The Elements of Materia Medica and Therapeutics by Jonathan Pereira. 1842. Page 363:

"SPIRITUS SACCHARI; Rum.
In some parts of the West India islands it is customary to put slices of pine-apples in the puncheons of rum : hence the designation pine-apple rum.

ARRACK, or RACK.
Pine apples, steeped in it, impart a most exquisite flavour to the spirit; and, by age, it becomes a delicious liqueur, which is unrivalled
in the world for making nectarial punch."

An Encyclopædia of Domestic Economy By Thomas Webster, William Parkes 1855. Page 683:

"3740. Pineapple Rum. — It is customary in some of the West India islands to put sliced pineapples in puncheons of rum, which give the spirit the peculiar flavour of that fruit."

Hints for the table: or, The economy of good living by John Timbs - 1859.
Page 132:

"Rum is generally valued from its great age, but long keeping
is not so requisite to the goodness of all kinds as may be imagined. Rum of a brownish transparent colour, smooth oily taste, strong body and consistence, good age, and well kept, is the best. That of a clear limpid colour, and hot pungent taste, is either too new, or mixed with other spirits. Sliced pine-apple put into rum gives it the flavour of the fruit, and hence the designation, pine-apple rum ; but chemists imitate this flavour so closely as to convert not only ordinary rum but even ordinary spirit into " Pine-apple Rum."

Adulterations Detected; Or, Plain Instructions for the Discovery of Frauds in Food in Medicine By Arthur Hill Hassall, 1861. Page 539:

"There is a kind of rum termed " Pineapple Rum." This flavour
of pineapple is communicated to the spirit by steeping in it slices of
the pine. Recently chemists have found out methods of imitating
very exactly the flavour of the pine, and hence this artificially prepared
flavouring is often had recourse to in this country to convert not only
This flavouring may be prepared by distilling butter with sulphuric
acid and alcohol, or by combining amylic or potato ether with butyric
acid, and then dissolving it in alcohol. This flavouring is much used
in sweetmeats."

Mackenzie's Ten Thousand Receipts. 1869. p.288

Pineapple Rum. Neutral spirits, 4 galls.; honey, 5 pts.; water, to dissolve, 3 qts.; Jamaica rum, 1 gall.; sulphuric acid, 1 oz. ; butyric ether, 2 oz.; tincture of cochineal, 3 oz.; burnt sugar, 2 oz.

Old-time Recipes for Home Made Wines, Cordials and Liqueurs from Fruits By Helen Saunders Wright. 1909. Page 85:

"PINEAPPLE RUM
To three gallons rum, made by the fruit
method, add two pineapples sliced, and one-
half pound white sugar. Let it stand two
weeks before drawing off."

T
twitch posted on Wed, Oct 8, 2008 5:31 AM

Fascinating.
What I'd like to know is what kind of nutjob decided to not only distill butter in sulphuric acid, but then go ahead and taste it?

Pages: 1 1 replies