Name:The Hana Hou Room
Type:bar
Street:2424 Kalakaua Avenue
City:Honolulu
State:HI
Zip:96815
Phone:

Description:
I haven't been able to find much (if any) information on the Hana Hou Room that used to be at the Hyatt Regency in Waikiki.

I've managed to put together a small collection of tiki mugs from this location, but don't have much more information. The small Moai bucket mug was found at an antique store in Bisbee,AZ, and the bamboo mug at a junk store in Hilo, HI. The third was a $2.99 find on ebay. :) I was able to finally confirm that the Hana Hou Room was indeed at the Hyatt Regency with my latest mug.

There's another one listed on Ooga-Mooga: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1994

Obviously, the Hana Hou Room must have been a destination for cocktails if they had this many mugs.

Does anyone else have any information on this location?

K

I have this guy too, but he's not marked "Daga" or "Polynesian Pottery", so it may be a knock-off, although Daga did produce Happy Tiki mugs:

The Hana Hou Room was most certainly at the Hyatt, but there also was a Hana Hou Room showroom at the Waikiki Beachcomber (next to the International Marketplace) where Don Ho once held forth. I once thought that some of these mugs came from the Beachcomber Hana Hou Room, but the logo is the same on all of them, including those specifically marked Hyatt Regency, so that's probably not right.

The Hyatt was built on the site of the old Waikiki Biltmore, which was demolished in 1974, so the earliest Hana Hou Room mugs likely date from no later than mid-1970's.

In case you didn't know, Hana Hou is what you say at the end of a concert in Hawaii when you want the musician to keep playing - equivalent to Encore! or More! More!

L9

I Located this mug in the wild Dallas TX today, it was over my low budget, but maybe worth it as i havent been able to find any like it; posted anywhere. Any info would be appreciated.
Mahalo,

Camera phone quality (sorry)

Aloha,

On 2011-08-10 15:38, Lodge 9 wrote:
I Located this mug in the wild Dallas TX today, it was over my low budget, but maybe worth it as i havent been able to find any like it; posted anywhere. Any info would be appreciated.
Mahalo,

That is the Polynesian Pottery "Tonga" mug. Dates to about 1967-73. Quite rare, especially from the Hana Hou room location. You can see a blue version on the spine of "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs." I'd say you did good whatever the price. Polynesian Pottery did that mug as well as the one koolau posted. I'm pretty sure both molds are by Adele Davis.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-10 23:40 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies