Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Any one know of stores that sell mugs in san diego?

Pages: 1 17 replies

ive been looking around san diego for a while and i cant seem to find more than two stores in which they sell tiki mugs. anybody have any suggestions? an aspiring tiki enthusiast like myself needs help to start off his collection.

thank you

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Try the site http://www.konakai.com It seems like a good source for finding all things Tiki.

[ Edited by: Tiki Rider Five-O on 2003-03-16 23:35 ]

G

if you don't mind driving about 30 minutes north you can hit "Bamboo 2 u" in Encinitas(sp?) I think it's on Pacific Coast hwy. Tell Judy da owner Gecko seys aloha if you go.

she's got it all, mugs, tikis, furniture....gecko tikis, etc.

good luck

hey thanks guys,
ill be sure to go sometime next week or so.

M

Also check out Solai in SD- Not as much as Bamboo 2 U, but a great little store:

http://www.solaibamboo.com/index.htm

-martin

The Black down in OB carries some Tiki Farm mugs. They had a cool display in the window.

Babbette Schwartz on University Avenue has Shag Mugs.. look up high on the shelves, or ask the staff to help you look!

Only thing I know of not on the list is this weird little shop near WindanSea surf shop on Mission Blvd in Mission Beach. I got this really cool parrot mug, but I think they had some tikis too. I'd recommend going on tikifarm.com
The mar-tiki glasses are far out

Ducky Waddles in Encinitas also sells mugs

M

All of the above are good suggestions. The only other specific source I can think of for new tiki mugs is Sea World. Yes, Sea World...the last time I was there they had the biggest selection of Tiki Farm products in SD at their gift shop. Besides that, I've seen new mugs by several manufacturers at various surf shops in just about every beach community. I've even seen new mugs at hawaiian/island specialty shops at the malls and other tourist traps like Seaport Village. Turn on your "tiki radar" and you'll start spotting them everywhere.

Also, you can get drinks served in tiki mugs that you can keep at the Bali Hai and Island at the Hanalei Hotel. Those are repros but still quite nice.

As for vintage variety mugs...well, I won't reveal exact sources for those 'cause I work hard to find them for myself. But rest assured they can still be had at reasonable prices in SD with a little luck and persistence.

ModMana :drink:

J

I found a couple of shops in Ocean Beach that had some Tiki Farm mugs last week. Both were surf shops on Newport Ave. I only have one of the names (kept the bag):
South Coast Surf Shops
5023 Newport Ave.

Picked up a Mr. G mug there.

At the other surf shop I picked up a Miehana mug.

One of these days I'll actually post these on Ooga Mooga:)

On 2003-08-17 22:51, NorthwoodsSurfer wrote:
Only thing I know of not on the list is this weird little shop near WindanSea surf shop on Mission Blvd in Mission Beach. I got this really cool parrot mug, but I think they had some tikis too.

http://thefreakfactory.biz/

Couldn't resist replying to this dusty old post.

The Freak Factory at MB in San Diego is downright schizophrenic!

Catering to everyone from urbane tattooed hipsters to local surfing hippies it usually has a full selection of Tiki Farm & Dynasty mugs. Occasionally mugs by esteemed SoCal legend Bosko have been offered, (but have only been sold to people who emanate the proper vibe!)

There's also Shag greeting cards, Grog Logs & other tiki books, tiki carvings, drums, bamboo chimes, candles, tropical incense and hemp Aloha Shirts from Island Hempwear in Kekaha, Hawaii...

...but you're just as likely to hear Arthur Lyman or Link Wray oozing from it's open doors as Jerry Garcia, or Peter Tosh, depending on who's behind the counter.

The owner recently promised "Increased Tiki Goodness" for summer 2006 and I aughta know since I shave his face every morning.

Mahalo, NorthwoodsSurfer.

On a side note, does anybody know any places near Temecula?

The best way to purchase mugs is online. Mugs usually ship well and you will have a much larger selection than any one local shop could ever provide.

Look on ebay for mugs by Gecko.
TikiTony has a couple designs.
Tikidiablo.com has a few
Tiki Farm is the mothership
Munktiki is another large scale top notch provider.

Mugs are not usually the kind of thing that you get from your local supplier, they are usually items that you purchase at special events, from artists when they are released and if your lucky will find them in antique and thrift stores.

Good Luck

TM

I may know someone that sells tiki mugs....

T

Who?

I've been trying to order the set of mai tai glasses from Trader Vic's but have had no luck.

First I tried ordering online, but nothing ever arrived. Last week I sent an e-mail and the first one was bounced back. The second one(directly to customer service) has never been replied too. Maybe they don't like Canadians?(Although their web site states that they do ship to Canada)

TM

On 2006-01-11 14:28, tikiexpy wrote:
Who?

Pages: 1 17 replies