Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

new painting...do ye likes pirates n' mermaids???

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

Just finished this piece for the gallery to add to my "Jolly Roger" series. Pirates and Mermaids are always a fun subject. I decided to put them together in a few paintings since I get so many requests for both subjects. No..this isn't "Tiki", but surely part of the nautical adventures and spirit of the sea that shares many of the same interests as Tiki lovers, I find.

I won't go on on too much explaining this one..it tells a little story in one picture. The idea was that two salty pirates acquire a map that describes the location of a galleon that wrecked in a squall on the jagged rocks of this island many months before. So the journey to the Island to claim the booty.

Surprise!! As the two close in on the little cove shown on the map, they discover they were beaten to the prize!! A small group of youthful mermaids have dragged the treasure chest ashore and are having the time of their life adorning themselves in fine pearls, gold jewelry and precious gems. The pirates, not yet seen by the mermaids are dumbfounded as they "peep" at the site from the shadows of the rocks! That's the way the sea biscuit crumbles!! Finder's keepers! ..or in this case.."Finder's Peepers"

This is 30" by 40" acrylic on canvas. It should be hung in the THOR Gallery in Waikiki by next week in case anyone is Waikiki and wants to "peep" at it. There is lots to discover in the painting.

Have a great weekend!

"FINDER"S PEEPERS"

Detail of a few of the mermaids whoopin' it up
..now there's som nice tail!

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Thar be mermaids about! Typical female tactic!! They always gang up on us poor helpless guys!!

No what the halibut do we do now???

~~ THOR

Is there an echo in here?

Love it! (Capt'n MadDogMike is a pirate at heart) The translucency of the mermaid tails is great!

Amazing painting! Composition, color, design, technique. A serious home-run. Congratulations. How much are the prints going to sell for?

T

Thanks!! I have no idea why this posted twice. When I posted yesterday, I actually thought it wasn't going to be here cus I kept getting error messages from the TC site. Then, later in the day it posted twice. Go figure! lol Sorry foir the echo! lol

Wonderful!

Beautiful painting! Love it.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2008 7:09 PM

Maybe the treasure is the mermaids? :lol: :D

A-FREAKING-MAZING!

I cannot get over your mastery of light.

Hey, I had the great pleasure of finding the new location of the Thor Stor in Honolulu last week. Wow!! What a great spot! I was stunned and awed! What a great location - the brand spanking new trendy area - high foot traffic out da door kinda spot!!! By the by the young lady who helped me while I was in the new stor, Jamie I think, is very well versed in Tiki culture. She knew tiki artist, and carvers, and TC. Brownie points for dat!

It was interesting to see the new location just a few doors down from the Wyland Gallery - Which couldn't match the Thor Stor for cool eye popping art. The era of "Whales and dolphin tourist art" has sailed off I thinks, and (thanks to the LA art scene and tiki culture) a new kind of art has reared it's carved wooden cartoon god head!

Though, even the Wyland gallery has added Godard to it's roster to try to be hip I think. But, I'm not sure he's really low brow. He's a cool dude, and can really work a crowd, but hey, he paints martinis and doesn't even drink. What's up with dat? Don't get me started... okay, okay, it's all good. Room for eveyone in the art world.

Anyways, THOR.... Cool art and congratulations on the new swanky gallery! U are making the world a better place.

Why yes, yes I do. How did you know?

Seriously the painting is really good. There is always so much depth to your paintings.

T

I am very very appreciative of the comments...NO question. Tiki Shark...I am at the VERY least equally blown away by your talent and Love all you do. As artists..we are all trying o make it big. So many factors determine this..it's not just talent..its timing and LOTS of luck. One of my goals is to share a gallery with all those I respect and love in this Tiki Mania. We need to talk!!! We need to fight for tiki in Waikiki and Hawaii...and we are a minority! Your work is stupendous my friend...and I truly thank k you for your kindness. I am so honored to be a friend and fellow artist in your company.

Till the next event!! Keep our brushes to the canvas!!!

~

love it, is it still available Mr. Thor????

T

Hey Paul!

Original is long gone but the Giclee' prints are available . Search "Pictures Plus", Hawaii on Google. Then search under artists: Tom Thordarson. Let me know if you have any problems!

Aloha, THOR

Pages: 1 11 replies