Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

trader vic's doors on craigslist!!!

Pages: 1 15 replies

I cannot afford these. But- WOW!!!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mat/876516370.html

....$1200 bucks and there's not even a single tiki carved on them!!!!..no thanks.

T

Too much ($1,200) and too far away for me but still pretty cool.
Anybody got a picture of these doors at Vic's they can post here??
It would be cool to see. Thanks!

I put the pictures below for future veiwing (not sure if they will stay here though). TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2008-10-13 15:04 ]

On 2008-10-13 14:46, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
....$1200 bucks and there's not even a single tiki carved on them!!!!..no thanks.

I'm seeing Lot's of Tiki's... :wink:

Somebody is going to get some nice doors...

aloha

It's kinda like having the original doors to "tiki mecca".

I emailed the seller (purely out of curiosity) and got this reply...

"These doors have been hanging at a bar on Telegraph Ave. for the past 25 years. When we bought the bar the owner told me he bought them from Trader Vics in Emeryville in the 1970s."

From what I gather from her email address, the bar where they last lived is called "The Vibe Lounge"

Since Trader Vic's moved to Emeryville from the REAL original location in Oakland in the 70s, these might be from the ORIGINAL place in Oakland. Which brings to mind: Has anybody seen any photos of the T.V.'s Oakland exterior, ever? Renderings Yah, but no photos in my case.

On 2008-10-15 17:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Has anybody seen any photos of the T.V.'s Oakland exterior, ever? Renderings Yah, but no photos in my case.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Show me a photo of those doors in TV's.

Big Bro, Unga-

Ditto, I should have included my email question I sent to the seller:

"I'm interested in the doors - I have a question though... are these from the Oakland location or Emeryville? Also, where did you get these?"

I guess since the Emeryville location opened in 1971, it is plausible that they replaced the doors at some point... I say unlikely, but plausible.

What I was suggesting was that they took those doors from the Oakland Trader Vic's when it closed, with all the other stuff, to Emeryville when they re-opened there, but never used them, and so they eventually sold them. That's how they could be "from the original Trader Vic's" and also "bought at Trader Vic's in Emeryville". I was not doubting their heritage, I am just really curious to see a photo of the Oakland exterior. The rendering in the BOT shows several cabin-like buildings, obviously added on to the original Hinky Dinks. I do not know when those additions happened, but those doors could be from then.

Good point Bigbro... I emailed some people at TV's to see if they could/would forward some pics - we'll see if I get a response.

i have the perfect handle for one of those doors.

Ooooh, a LUAU Tiki door handle. I last saw those at the Islands Restaurant, when it still had its Luau entrance doors.

it came from the KON TIKI in cleveland.

David,

Too bad you can't find somebody to cast replicas of those door handles.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-10-21 07:58 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies