Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki dog food?

Pages: 1 25 replies

B

I ran across this yesterday at a pet store in Mission Viejo. Maybe you guys have seen it, maybe not. Makes me want to crack it open and make a sandwich. The only way I can afford Ahi Tuna and Tiger Prawns is to buy it in a dog food. Blasted dog eats better than I do.

[ Edited by: Buckdog 2008-10-13 18:27 ]

This post was humbly retracted.

I worried that it will inadvertently mis-inform others too.

Tiki-Dog food is a quality product with exceptional business practices and novel marketing.

[ Edited by: coruscate 2008-12-03 16:16 ]

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 7:30 PM

Gee coruscate, ya know this stuff is probably like most pet foods in general so it's probably just ground guts, rendered bones, eyes for flavor and the scales for texture so at least nothing goes to waste from human consumption and hey, how else is a dog to get it's omega 3 oils...?!?

The description on the can sure makes it sound tasty!

D

theres Tiki Dog and Tiki Cat, food and toys.. i think the packaging is cute. PetEdge catalog used to sell the toys deeply discounted, but i dont see them offered anymore.

and for you, here's some info about the food itself:

Tiki Cat is made from Premium Wild Caught Seafood

Tiki Cat MEETS DOLPHIN SAFE CERTIFICATION (IATTC)

Tiki Cat is registered with the International Dolphin Conservation Program (IATTC), which sends a conservationist inspector onto the fishing vessels in order to ensure appropriate procedures are met to maintain this IATTC status.

T

I saw the can and thought...OMG what happened to Trader Pup!

Also, I believe Ahi tuna is fully fished, not overfished.
Yellowfin Tuna listed as a good choice here.

Tiger Prawn is a bad choice, but not every fish that comes out of the sea is wasted or a damage to the environment.

[ Edited by: tekoteko 2008-10-13 20:10 ]

Looks like a SHAG ripoff.

R

EDIT: WOW! the other posts before Unga didn't even show up in my inbox- so I was confused.
Now I get it!
:lol:

"It's like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

[ Edited by: ravenne 2008-10-14 00:35 ]

I am a dog lover. (Currently, w/o one.)

As a marketer, I can surmise the there are so many dog and cat products on the shelves, that the need to be different, particularly when you can't outspend the national brands, is great. So... you come up with Tiki Dog and Tiki Cat.

I notice my favorite grocery store continues to expand the pet food isle. There's a whole lotta money being spent on pets, even when the economy is shaky.

Tiki Dog costs more than a gallon of gas. :o

My dogs wont be getting Tiki Dog. There are enough high end brands that cost half as much. Evanger's, Wellness, Innova & Merrick to name a few.

I did buy three small cans for the tiki factor though! :) North Shore, Lomi Lomi and Pipeline.

I always thought rumaki would make a nice tiki dog food substitute and while I don't have a dog I'll pick up a few cans and put them on the shelf by the Shasta Tiki Punch.

I buy WalMart's "Old Roy" and tell her it's expensive "Tiki Dog" - SHE CAN'T READ!!! :D

I love my dog, and I'm enthusiastic for people to feed them well and support somone making a go at it.

I'm also a big fish eater (and little ones too).

Polynesian Culture and the marine environment go hand in hand.
Polynesian Pop restaurants and bars often serve fish as part of that theme.
Products that take on Tiki and Polynesian themes to use ocean products acquired in sustainable ways are a good idea and reinforce the foundations behind high quality Polynesian and Polynesian Pop lifestyles.

This rest of this post was humbly retracted.

Tiki-Dog food is a quality product with exceptional business practices and novel marketing.

[ Edited by: coruscate 2008-12-03 16:20 ]

[ Edited by: coruscate 2008-12-03 16:25 ]

This comment was retracted, it was off topic

Ke nono au, e kala mua mai, i keia manawa ho'i.

[ Edited by: coruscate 2008-12-03 16:24 ]

CJ

Just purchased some Tiki Cat and I suggest our friend Joe Banks does the same

O

These Tiki Dog Food people are great in my book! They donated a bunch of gift baskets to the Stunt Womans Foundation Poker Classic charity event held in Malibu on Oct 12. Foundation president Annie Ellis daughter of Richard Ellis who carved many of the early Tiki in the fifties and sixties. Annie mentioned that the owners brought the baskets and were at the tournament.
Wish I known who they were then, I had a few questions for them after reading some of these posts.Did Shag have anything to do with the art? Even so, they get my vote and I'm buying one of each even though I don't have a dog.

Annie in white with fellow stunt women.

Alright Annie! Looks like it was a fun event.

B

Wow, this thread turned out pretty good.

By the way, the dog really tore into the food - he loved it. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the can and there were three shrimp on top.

I'm tellin ya, I almost spread some on some bread. I was gonna make a sandwich for myself.

[ Edited by: Buckdog 2008-10-31 19:17 ]

This post was humbly retracted.

[ Edited by: coruscate 2008-12-03 16:23 ]

Well whether its gimmicky or not, sea friendly or not. Which i find to be interesting since tiki are usually found in "close to the water areas". the little dog and cat tikis on the can sure are cute.

Aloha!

I joined Tiki Central over two years ago, and was just made aware of this string regarding our Tiki Dog and Tiki Cat food. My husband and I have loved anything Tiki since our childhood and started this business in the summer of 2005.

We are animal lovers and came across a human cannery that only handles human grade ingredients. We realized we could offer a human quality, safe food that people could eat themselves and an alternative to the RAW foods diets that are offered in the ultra-natural pet food world as an easier feeding approach with the same philosophy. In addition, as “fisharians” ourselves, we are on a vegetarian and seafood only diet and very concerned about protecting the oceans from over fishing and unethical practices - and our manufacturing partners are able to meet these concerns.

I must say, I am disappointed in some of the negative critique by some of the forum members. I would think that those in the Tiki Family would respect one another enough to ask the questions before passing such negative judgment. We have never revealed our overseas partner because we cannot afford to have a giant manufacturer to find out and buy us out of our source. We have posted the details of our strictly run operation on our website at http://www.petropics.com/AboutOurFoods.pdf and I am writing to clear up some of the misinformation for readers.

We only use wild caught seafood sources.

We only use short line to catch our tuna’s. The premium cuts from the tuna are sent to restaurants and the red meat or blood line portions are used in our Tiki Dog and Tiki Cat Food.

Because our tuna is a shallow water swimmer, there are little to no concerns regarding mercury levels. We offer a variety of foods for our dogs and cats to allow a pet parent to rotate their meals as we do for ourselves.

We observe the Monterey Bay Aquarium recommendations. We believe that pet parents should feed food products under the same food safety and ethical practices as for themselves.

Our tiger prawns are baby prawns, wild and trap caught and little value on the human market. We take the baby prawns from the normal catch and use it in our foods. This product would otherwise be thrown out or used for chum. We find it to be a fun way of adding variety to our foods.

We provide sustainable food products including tuna, sardines, mackerel, wild white salmon, and poultry. Our produce is natural, local grown ingredients. Our poultry is grain fed, free range, and human grade.

We don’t claim to be the low price leader in natural foods. Our market price is in sync with the human market price per ounce, like our raw foods counterparts. We are offering a real, whole food diet that you could eat out of the can yourself.

We are very committed to the environment. Our operations practices concentrate on recyclable materials, minimum transit, and green practices wherever possible. Our whole mission behind our product line was to offer a real food alternative without compromise in content or operation.

We understood the competition in the marketplace was intense and we also believed our love for Tiki could be well communicated and received by any market demographic in the world. Everyone loves the idea of paradise lost!
My husband has a film and art degree, he is the artist that designed all our packaging and marketing materials. We wanted to create a tribal theme where dogs and cats have their own Tiki Dog and Tiki Cat carvings and environment. We wanted to capture the idea that our Tiki Cat’s and Tiki Dog’s had a hand in the recipe’s, that this is food developed by them for their own pleasure. Our color and mood behind our products has captured an incredible audience of loyal Tiki pet parents who may have tried it for the first time just because they love to say “Tiki” and loved the characters, but returned because their pets frantically licked their plates clean.

Together we run our privately owned business, we like to operate out of the box in our industry, and we enjoy providing products that are wildly unique in our market that also stand above the rest in content. We have become famous for our palatability, commitment to quality, and are considered to be the most fun product line in the pet food market. In fact, more testimonials have been written about our foods, on the web, meeting special diet requirements and nursing cats back to health than any other natural food.

Mahalo!

C

"I must say, I am disappointed in some of the negative critique by some of the forum members. I would think that those in the Tiki Family would respect one another enough to ask the questions before passing such negative judgment. We have never revealed our overseas partner because we cannot afford to have a giant manufacturer to find out and buy us out of our source. We have posted the details of our strictly run operation on our website at http://www.petropics.com/AboutOurFoods.pdf and I am writing to clear up some of the misinformation for readers."

Based on your fishing practices you have a right to be disappointed with my comments.

Looks like I need to join you in clearing things up.

This is not done out of disrespect and was not hasty or poorly educated. As you noted it was difficult to track down the practices of your specific suppliers and I did not have the information available to discriminate your suppliers from the others. Because of this wrong conclusion I over reacted when moved by the good intention to protect TC members from what I interpreted as a gimmicky and insincere way to part a consumer from its money. I apologize for this wrong conclusion and my comments. I am pleased you found suppliers in Thailand who are using fishing practices that are to be celebrated and respected.

Thank your for clarifying this and posting the detailed practices and links to your general mission.

I humbly retract my comments and reverse my mis-informed earlier opinion and apologize for the inaccurate connections I made between your specific suppliers and other less desirable fish suppliers that are unfortunately much more common in Thailand fisheries and the Indian Ocean.

For those of you who have read my earlier opinions please understand the deep sincerity of my retraction, the fishing practices and sources described above are a gold standard to admire and I wish all human and pet food companies could seek this status.

You are good people with a good product, not only a good product but one that is exceptional in its quality and food sourcing but also its marketing and general business practices.

I will revise my previous inaccurate listings and hope this demonstrates that they were incredbly wrong and I respectfully acknowledge your correction.

I will seek a case of Tiki Dog out and feed my beloved labrador this product, it is one that supports healthy choices for the ocean and supports our 4 legged family members.

I recommend that others do the same.

In previous posts, I have agreed with the use of the Seafood Watch summaries to assist you in making responsible seafood purhases. I believe the fishing practices described above are an equal measure of good choices and should be used for similar comparisons.

There are other petfoods that have similar quality practices, but few if any exceed the quality and ethical integrity described by Petropics.

Sincerely,

Coruscate

[ Edited by: coruscate 2008-12-03 16:26 ]

[ Edited by: coruscate 2008-12-03 16:33 ]

[ Edited by: coruscate 2008-12-03 16:40 ]

P

I am so glad we have gained new friends through our dialogue and I have HUGE respect for Coruscate for his quick and generous response. MAHALO FRIEND!

We prefer to have tough consumers that are cautious, well educated label readers who guard against bad manufacturing practices. The disaster that occurred with the food recalls this spring revealed the failures of many manufacturer’s in their operational practice. Perhaps this will raise awareness and extend the life of someone’s pet!

Christine/Petropics

Can you clarify how being a shallow water swimming tuna makes it less susceptible to mercury accumulation?
That was one point that really didn't make sense to me.

D

we met the Tiki Dog Food people at the Seattle Kennel Club today, and i gotta say, Trader Pup (my dog, not our friend Terry) LOVES this stuff. many of the specialty pet foods look better than our frozen dinners!

Trader says Aloha!

Pages: 1 25 replies