Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Tikiphile Mentality

Pages: 1 11 replies

Are all tikiphiles collectors?
Do you collect things other than tiki?

..tiki is just a a part of it...I began collecting mid century modern / 50's collectables back in the 80's....i was heavy into diners and rt 66 at the time as well...anything roadside.....collecting tiki became a natural extension to my interest in all things pop americana, since my art was becoming heavily immersed in all this pop culture at the same time...it also was a connection back to my childhood from family vacations to florida every year.....it all goes together as far as i'm concerned.....i also collect alot of 50's asian stuff too...

basically, i find all this stuff very inspiring, which is why i surround myself with it all over the house....the mid century period of design was just loaded with clever designs and creativity that it has become a bottomless well of inspiration for new work....

WEEL, at first i didn't. NAUTICAL led to KEY WESTY, led to TIKI, led to COASTAL,led to MID CENTURY-MODERN ,led to CRAZY. been a great ride ,and not even close to done. whats next?

L
Liana posted on Tue, Oct 14, 2008 6:06 AM

My other big collecting thing are Pez dispensers :D

Liana.

I (also) collect "cupboard kitties".

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Oct 14, 2008 10:41 AM

Rock posters & hadbills, everything from early to modern Fillmore thru LA/OC/SF punk flyers, Grateful Dead as well as rock pins/buttons and anything Beatles. Oh yea, had a mushroom salt/pepper shaker thing for a while, kinda weird. Someday I'm gonna sit on the beach in Hawaii with my laptop and a Mai Tai and sell it all on ebay, ebb & flow man...

One day, there will be a cure for tiki,
That's the day I'll throw my rum away...

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-10-14 10:44 ]

The wife isn't a collector, although she's amassed quite a few mugs lately. I'm into comic books, with the focus being 1940s and 50s good girl art, mostly Fiction House titles. Here's a tiki-related sample:

And I guess Seven Seas qualifies also:

i think your question is answered in the BEYOND TIKI Forumthat Hanford created specifically:

"Got something to share that's not Tiki that you think the members of Tiki Central would like it? Share it here. Lounge, Retro, Swing, Cars, Tattoos, Art, and beyond"

everyone should share there, if they arent already.

On 2008-10-14 11:26, dogbytes wrote:
i think your question is answered in the BEYOND TIKI Forumthat Hanford created specifically:

"Got something to share that's not Tiki that you think the members of Tiki Central would like it? Share it here. Lounge, Retro, Swing, Cars, Tattoos, Art, and beyond"

everyone should share there, if they arent already.

...i think it falls within the guidelines....it is, after all, a question pertaining to folks that collect tikis and do they collect other things or just tiki....

a thread that begins with the question "does anyone here collect model trains??" would definately be considered beyond tiki, but i think in this case, the original poster is safe ....

anyway, that's how i see it...right or wrong.

here we go................

I don't think enough of us are posting our stuff on Beyond Tiki Finds. Let's go people! Let's see your other stuff!!!!

Pages: 1 11 replies