Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Music of Les Baxter and Robert Drasnin

Pages: 1 5 replies

I posted this under Tiki Music but feel it belongs here as well.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2008-10-15 10:23 ]

For any TC'ers coming to town for this most excellent event there's also this:

It's the day before the Les Baxter/Robert Drasnin/Chenault show.

How convenient.

CH

One week to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

O
Otto posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2008 8:30 PM

Jeff
Please let us know how the concert was and provide photos! Also, what's the scoop on Bob's Music Hall of Fame induction?

On 2008-11-05 20:30, Otto wrote:
Jeff
Please let us know how the concert was and provide photos! Also, what's the scoop on Bob's Music Hall of Fame induction?

I'm actually still in recovery mode. :)

The Baxter/Drasnin show was one of the most incedible concerts I have ever been to. It reaffirms my belief that Les Baxter was a complete genius. To witness an orchestra of 32 musicians playing his original music from the original scores is almost beyond comprehension for me. It was so stunningly beautiful that I actually felt a certain type of giddyness. I felt like a little kid. Skip Heller and I actually exchanged a high five after "Batumba." It was very hard to curb our enthusiasm for this incredible feat we were witnessing. Keith Pawlak should be awarded into the Exotica Hall of Fame for pulling off this monumental task of bringing Les Baxter's music to the stage with such professionalism.

The Drasnin portion of the program was also extremely cool. While the Les Baxter performers were more rigorous and wore suits, the Drasnin orchestra was much more relaxed and came out with Hawaiian shirts on. It was interesting to note the differences between to two artists even though they are considered to be on the same playing field. Bob's music was definitely more lei'd back and fun while the Baxter performance was just completely mind-blowing!!

I'll post more random thoughts and some pictures soon!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I could just kick myself for not seeing this earlier. Damn! I would have been there for sure.

Pages: 1 5 replies