Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sorta Tiki Bar Up For Sale in Whittier

Pages: 1 15 replies

CJ

dance floor....dj booth...television screens.....

..better call trader vics.....how can they pass up an offer like this???

Ya gotta love the almost phony palm trees out front.

It has the most important thing to open a bar though...the liquor 48 licence. Oh and potentential if bought by the right people. It is a blank canvas if you ask me. Doesn't anybody remember what Forbiden Island was before?

Valley View and Telegraph Rd., eh? That's a swell neighborhood...not.

On 2008-10-17 03:37, MrBaliHai wrote:
Valley View and Telegraph Rd., eh? That's a swell neighborhood...not.

Common its right in front of the Police acadamy. BTW I really don't give a shit about this place. I always thought it would be cool to own a awesome Tiki bar, and the wife and I have been looking. Anything we would get would be transformed. The liqour licence is the hard part. Plus location location location is very important.

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2008-10-17 09:07 ]

On 2008-10-17 09:02, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Common its right in front of the Police acadamy.

That's good, because you'll need some cops nearby to respond to the knifings and shootouts in the parking lot...:wink:

If I was going to open a tiki bar in Whittier, I'd look for someplace a little more upscale, on Greenleaf or Hadley maybe. There used to be a Tiki bar in downtown Whittier back in the '50s. I think it was located in one of the hotels.

On 2008-10-16 23:26, The Sperm Whale wrote:
It has the most important thing to open a bar though...the liquor 48 licence. Oh and potentential if bought by the right people. It is a blank canvas if you ask me. Doesn't anybody remember what Forbiden Island was before?

WooHoo Spermy!!! Wouldn't it be fun to open a Tiki Bar :)

Aside from the liquor license, this place has one other important thing to recommend it...

Namely, close geographic proximity to Oceanic Arts, which will come in handy both for decorating the place, AND for the tikiphiles drawn to the area because of OA -- i.e., ready-made tiki-bar patrons!

Cheers :drink: :tiki:

Castaway Clemens

CJ

my thought exactly about oceanic arts.

This hella looks like Forbidden Island when it was still Lincoln's Address...

CJ

The craigslist post states that it was built in 1961. Does anybody know if it has any tiki history?

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2008-10-17 23:45 ]

T

Remember the first rule of Real Estate Spermy...

Location Location Location.

Build your tiki bar in a neighborhood that has a lot of the right demographic.

In the case of a Tiki Bar it would be West side, South Bay, Beach or another neighborhood with a large concentration of Hipsters, or 25-45 people without kids. A perfect example : Palms/Mar Vista/ Culver City/Venice.

People over there seem to have alot of disposable income and like going to bars. A good tiki bar with GREAT drinks (ie: Tiki drinks made the RIGHT way) would be a huge success in a neighborhood like that. Hell, someone buy that strip club and turn it back into Kelbos.

Otherwise, I would consider it Risky.

Just my $.02

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-10-18 08:40 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-10-18 08:41 ]

CJ

I WANT KELBOS BACK!

Here's a link to the Bamboo Club's brochure with additional pics

http://www.daroncase.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/bamboobrochure.pdf

That's bizarre. My best bud from high-school lives 2 blocks away from this place. I've probably driven past it a couple dozen times and never noticed it.

On 2008-10-16 22:29, Unga Bunga wrote:
Ya gotta love the almost phony palm trees out front.

Those are typical Queen Palms, Syagrus romanzoffiana, that's what happens when they are starved both water and food and pruned within an inch of their lives. Why bother? When you buy palms from the Depot, they end up like this too, they are grown too close together, in a hot house and when put out for sale they are real tall but way too stressed and too much tall foliage for the small root ball, add soil thats too dense and no drainage...
Sorry for the rant, as a amateur collector and grower, it makes me mad.

Pages: 1 15 replies