Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

UPDATED WITH PHOTOS Nov 16th The Hula Girls, Amber Foxx & Duck & Cover @ The Redwood Bar

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

The brunch has moved to The Redwood Bar & Grill

Hillbilly DJ Jeff W who brought you the Sunday brunch shows at Safari Sam's, is in a new home and would love for you to come out and join him for brunch & his birthday.

This is a free event and it's all ages too. It starts at noon. Dont Forget The Hula Girls will be at this one, so please come support them. There is a full bar and food available to make your day even more enjoyable.

Here's the lineup

Amber Foxx
Duck & Cover
The Hula Girls (featuring a member here On TC Lucas Vigor)
and more TBA

The Redwood Bar & Grill
316 W 2nd Street
Los Angeles, Ca 90012
323-680-2600
http://www.myspace.com/samsbrunchfoodmusic

Please let me know who is planning on coming by posting it here. Thanks and have a happy day!

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-11-09 18:52 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-11-23 11:00 ]

On 2008-10-17 10:57, tiki-a-fair wrote:

Here's the lineup

Amber Foxx
Duck & Cover
The Hula Girls (featuring a member here On TC Lucas Vigor)
and more TBA

The Redwood Bar & Grill
316 W 2nd Street
Los Angeles, Ca 90012
323-680-2600
http://www.myspace.com/samsbrunchfoodmusic

The Hula Girls=TC's own Luckydesigns (Spike), Lucas Vigor, & The One and Only BONG!!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-10-17 11:15 ]

Please dont forget about this one, The Hula Girls, it's music for your listening and drinking pleasure!

Mark your calendars for this one, it's going to be so fun!

TM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zFHrO--KS0

It's gonna be a blast! Don't forget to ask about our Hurley brand T-Shirts, featuring Lucky design's vintage take on the Hula Girl! I got one...do you?

help a brutha out and make some XXL's

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'll be there and trying to get a couple of friends to join me, too!

That's awesome! Make sure you come and say "hi" to the band!

For the rest of youse,

COME see the fabulous Hula girls perform sans grass skirts!
LISTEN to the magnificant Steel guitar playing of Kila Kila Tiki Bong, the mai-tai/lapu-lapu king and poly-pop impressario.
HEAR Spike do his best impersonation of Elvis while he was a blue Hawaiian and after he joined the Army.
DANCE to the furious and somewhat fatal drumming of Dominci Tucci, of the New York Tucci crime family!
OBSERVE Lucas Vigor in all his shoe gazing, alt-monkey, emo screamo splendor-!!!

No halloween costumes, just good, honest, cheesy tikibilly!!!

Just listen to what Pauly Shore had to say about us:

"those boys are good. They make me wish I was still a popular star in hollywood, and they make me wish I had not gone prematurely bald!!"

Now go get your shine box!!!!!

Hey Lucas..Im not sure if you know him or not but Amber Foxx's bass player is a cat named Bobby..Super cool..Take a spin on his Kay..Its the second best Ol Kay Ive ever played,the best being Dartin Menny's from Exotiki..

TM

Salamat po for that info, RSJ! I will check it out!

Mark your calendars!

Make plans for this weekend with The Hula Girls & more!

I'm there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Me too...... Should be a fun time, for sure...

Come now there has to be more of you out there that want to see The Hula Girls?!?!?!? So whos in?

I am a for shure now and bringing 3 of my peeps, too. Yippie Skippy! Great tunes, food, booze ~ who could ask for more? Just a question, if you please~ is it a sitting and listening kind of place, or an up on your feet dancing kind of place?

On 2008-11-13 13:42, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
I am a for shure now and bringing 3 of my peeps, too. Yippie Skippy! Great tunes, food, booze ~ who could ask for more? Just a question, if you please~ is it a sitting and listening kind of place, or an up on your feet dancing kind of place?

either, or.

if you wanna sit get there early to get a good seat.
if you wanna dance, bring yer comfy dancin shoes.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-11-13 13:42, Kiki von Tiki wrote:

Both, which ever you please, you can boogie to the beat or sip drinks to some mighty fine tunes, but best of all it's FREE to get in. Hope to see you there!

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-11-14 09:34 ]

The Hula girls will be unveiling even more new songs! We have been very busy lately creating and crafting our sound.

Plus, we have more merchandise for those of you who are into collecting Tiki stuff. Lucky's Designs are outta this world! We got buttons, shirts, and stickers!

These items are only available at our performances.

C

I'm going to be in the neighborhood (Lincoln Heights) for band practice earlier that day, so I'm going to try to swing by afterward and catch the Hula Girls (et al).

what time are each band playing at?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-11-15 15:02, bigtikidude wrote:
what time are each band playing at?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Good ? BTD. What time does this start???

It's starts at noon with the dj
Justin Curtis 12:30
Hula girls go on at 1:45
Duck & Cover 3:00
Amber Foxx 4:30

Hope to see you all there!

Im there

K
kirby posted on Sat, Nov 15, 2008 8:37 PM

im in too..see ya there..
kirby

WoooHooo! THe Hula Girls Rock The Redwood Bar :)

TM

Man, that was fun! Nice to see some TC people there!

The other bands were insanely good. "Duck and Cover", the Danish band, were outstanding!

TM

Duck and Cover:

Wow!

That was one hell of a time. I didn't know what I was missing by not going to the Sunday brunches before this one! What a scene. ...and Jesse Dayton and the Railbenders played the week before us.... Damn!

Anyway, Tiki-A-fair and Hillbilly Jeff throw one hell of a party. They have every right to post their events here on Tiki Central. Everyone should be going to these shows. They were great hosts to our band, and I couldn't believe the crowd that they managed to get to show up on a Sunday in downtown LA.

By the way, the Redwood Room, alone, is a great reason to go to their brunch. Some of the best in vintage nautical decor, hidden away on a non-descript street in LA. A really cool place. Every painting in there is either of a shipwreck, a mermaid, or a big storm at sea. Awesome...

Thanks again to everyone who came out to see us, and to Jeff and Cher for hooking us up with the show.

Hey guys! Wow, what a great time! Loved your music, loved all of it. Nice bar, good food, fab cocktails. Nobody dances? Well, I always will even if it's in the aisles! :wink: All good. What a great way to spend Sunday. Lucas, it was great to meet you, and nice to see Soccer Tiki - good luck with the car, that was a real crappy thing to have happen to you. I looked for you guys before we left and you were gone, so I assumed you found a ride home. Hope to meet more of you next time! XO, Kiki v.

I agree,
great bands,
great venue,
Great time.

I've been going to these on and off for about a year.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-11-17 09:40, Luckydesigns wrote:
That was one hell of a time. I didn't know what I was missing by not going to the Sunday brunches before this one! What a scene. ...and Jesse Dayton and the Railbenders played the week before us.... Damn!

Anyway, Tiki-A-fair and Hillbilly Jeff throw one hell of a party. They have every right to post their events here on Tiki Central. Everyone should be going to these shows. They were great hosts to our band, and I couldn't believe the crowd that they managed to get to show up on a Sunday in downtown LA.

By the way, the Redwood Room, alone, is a great reason to go to their brunch. Some of the best in vintage nautical decor, hidden away on a non-descript street in LA. A really cool place. Every painting in there is either of a shipwreck, a mermaid, or a big storm at sea. Awesome...

Thanks again to everyone who came out to see us, and to Jeff and Cher for hooking us up with the show.

Ah thanks your way too kind. I am so happy you enjoyed yourself, it was great to have you play for us. Not too mention everyone in The Hula Girls seems like such nice fellows. You guys were great and I am glad I got meet you all. It was a fun mix up of bands and everyone was wonderful.

Yes brunch is fun, the great thing is your never tired for work the next day and you still have just as much fun as you would a night show. Please come to some of our shows, we would love to see you again. If you dont see a post under California events you can might find them under tiki music. Some amazing shows coming up. Hope to you see soon

On 2008-11-17 11:35, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
Hey guys! Wow, what a great time! Loved your music, loved all of it. Nice bar, good food, fab cocktails. Nobody dances? Well, I always will even if it's in the aisles! :wink: All good. What a great way to spend Sunday. Lucas, it was great to meet you, and nice to see Soccer Tiki - good luck with the car, that was a real crappy thing to have happen to you. I looked for you guys before we left and you were gone, so I assumed you found a ride home. Hope to meet more of you next time! XO, Kiki v.

People usually do dance up a storm, including me and Hillbilly Jeff but I hurt my knee and was giving it some rest. It's hard to swing dance on carpet but they are talking of putting down a dance floor soon. Glad you had a nice time and come back soon.

On 2008-11-17 12:18, bigtikidude wrote:
I agree,
great bands,
great venue,
Great time.

I've been going to these on and off for about a year.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

And we very much appreciate you coming out and for your support Big Tiki Dude, your the best! I hope you had fun?!?!!?!?! It was nice to see you again. Hope you'll come back soon.

The advanced level of musicianship exhibited by all the bands on Sunday just blew me away! These were not run-of-the-mill generic bands, but bands that could actually play and featured stunning instrumentalists. People keeping the great traditions of Buck Owens, Bob Wills and other fantastic period artists alive. Needless to say I was more then impressed.

Nice to meet you too, Kiki, and Tiki-affair, THANKS for letting us play there. We had an awesome time, and the place is beautiful. Very vintage feel.

Is it Tiki? At this point, I don't really care. This brunch thing is routinely getting great musicans to play, in styles you just don't hear every day. I would rather listen to these bands then some that have been advertised as being "tiki" (even headlining major tiki festivals) yet have not even a passing affiliation with anything Tiki.

This hillbilly and rockabilly stuff attracts a lot of people who have the vintage vibe, and enjoy outstanding music. I will be back, and I hope our band is also invited back!

Lucas,
drop me a line,
maybe we should car pool to these shows,
if you ever want to go again.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

hahaha

It's a shame that there's this hype now... there's been so many great bands that have played Jeff's Brunch shows in the past!

The man has ALWAYS put on killer shows.

And hopefully, finally, the snobs on here will stop giving Tiki-a-Fair the business when she posts the Brunch schedules! (Now that it has the 'stamp' of approval by some regulars on here)

Yee Haw for Hillbilly Brunch!!! :)

TM

I am just sorry I missed your band last time. Everyone said how great it was...

My problem is that I don't always have the energy to just get out and go to gigs (unless I am playing), etc...it's really rare for me! But that may stop. There is too much good stuff going on to stay all cooped up at home!

ok what do you guys say to doing a show together?
Exotiki and Hula Girls at Purple Orchid?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

lucas vigor wrote:
I am just sorry I missed your band last time. Everyone said how great it was...

No worries Lucas. I wasn't referring to Exotiki. haha Sorry if that's how it sounded... and... actually it should be I that's doing the apologizing. I had a rehearsal that started at 4pm Sunday and I couldn't get out of it. It was paid. :wink: I heard Hula Girls were great!

But, there have been a LOT of good bands (especially the touring ones) that have played Jeff's Brunch. And either there's tons of heads in the joint or it's empty.
Bands that deserve a good lively crowd that just didn't have it... it's great to hear that more people are catching on. :)

It's good to know that there are still people who enjoy good live music.

The Redwood Bar is perfect for what Jeff is doing. Not that there was anything wrong with the old Safari Sams location.... it's just that Redwood Bar is more intimate and amazingly vibey.

Anytime you can walk into a venue and feel like you just set sail on a cruise with the best Country/Honky Tonk/Rockabilly (and now more Tiki/Hula) bands as your entertainment is a good refreshing change to the stale shit that's out there still.

Keep coming out and supporting not only great Roots Music bands, but the guy who keeps putting on these great shows with these great bands!

TM

On 2008-11-17 13:33, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I say yes, yes and yes.

On 2008-11-17 13:03, Dartin Menny wrote:
hahaha

It's a shame that there's this hype now... there's been so many great bands that have played Jeff's Brunch shows in the past!

The man has ALWAYS put on killer shows.

And hopefully, finally, the snobs on here will stop giving Tiki-a-Fair the business when she posts the Brunch schedules! (Now that it has the 'stamp' of approval by some regulars on here)

Yee Haw for Hillbilly Brunch!!! :)

You put the biggest smile on my face and I so LOVE YOU for it! Thanks your such a great friend! And your right about the killer shows, even if we werent involved we would go see these shows anyway and almost all of them are free! Viva Hillbilly Brunch!

cool deal,
I will talk to Dave at PO about it,
probably spring time.

as for the Americana Brunches.
I'm not a huge fan of Rockabilly/roots rock/country.
and only have a hand full of cds (10 at the most)
but I respect the musicianship so much, that its worth my while to go see,
some great local, and touring bands.

Keep up the Great Work Hillbilly Jeff, and Tiki a Fair.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-11-17 13:53, bigtikidude wrote:
cool deal,
I will talk to Dave at PO about it,
probably spring time.

as for the Americana Brunches.
I'm not a huge fan of Rockabilly/roots rock/country.
and only have a hand full of cds (10 at the most)
but I respect the musicianship so much, that its worth my while to go see,
some great local, and touring bands.

Keep up the Great Work Hillbilly Jeff, and Tiki a Fair.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks big Tiki Dude, we plan to never stop! I will be a cute little granny and Jeff an old hillbilly and you'll still find us involved in music some way or the other. Someone has to represent these bands and get them out there as we all know the radio does not play them or keep this kind of music alive.

now if I could just get you guys to come to a surf show?
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-11-17 14:04, bigtikidude wrote:
now if I could just get you guys to come to a surf show?
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I know, it's not that we dont want to I assure you. I will send you a message right now.

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-11-17 14:13 ]

On 2008-11-17 13:47, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2008-11-17 13:33, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I say yes, yes and yes.

As do I.

Spring time it is.

C

I only caught the last 10-15 minutes of the Hula Girls set (my band practice ran late, though having it Sunday morning in LA made it much easier for me to drop by the Redwood instead of being home in Long Beach) but really dug it! I'd definitely be up for a Hula Girls/Exotiki double-bill! Duck and Cover, the Danish hillbilly band, blew me away as well, and though I'd seen Amber Foxx before it had been a couple of years and her voice has gotten even more Charline Arthur-like in the meantime (a good thing).

I really like the Redwood as a place for the Hillbilly Brunch! Besides being closer for those of us LB/OC way, it's much more conducive to crowd intermingling than the Hollywood Sam's due to the size and logistics (each of the last two times I've been there, I've actually spoken for the first time to people I've seen at shows over the years but have never talked to--something about the vibe at the Redwood brings that out). We had a lot of fun the two times our hillbilly band the Henpeckers got to play the brunch at the old locale, but I look forward to hopefully getting to play a brunch at the Redwood sometime!

Incidentally, I want to put in an early plug for the upcoming debut show of my new band the Ding Dong Devils (featuring 3/4 of the Henpeckers), which will be at a different pirate themed bar, the Buccaneer in Sierra Madre, on Friday, December 12th.

We are what I suppose you might call "exotica garage rock" (in fact it was great to hear the Hula Girls because I think we are kindred spirits) with a touch of steel guitar on some songs, a lot of raving up and mostly vocal, some instrumental songs, with most of the lyrics relating to the polynesian (though thoroughly panache-free) lifestyle. A sneak preview of some of our song titles: False Idols Put a Curse on You, Sufferin' Bastard, I Carry a Tiki Torch For You, You Got Me Stuck Like a Luau Pig--plus a few covers (movie Elvis of course, and "Yes Master" by the Whips featuring our bass player Julia on lead whip). More info to follow....

Brent

Pages: 1 2 57 replies