Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Summer of the Tiki at Kohl's

Pages: 1 13 replies

C

Someone said it recently and it seems to be true: this is going to be the summer of the tiki (at least at Kohl'd department store). I popped by the neighborhood Kohl's for a palm tree bathmat and to check out the latest tiki stock and was amazed at the tiki merchandise
In addition to the tiki lamps, torches, plastic drinkware, and frames - they have added more plastic drinkware, wineglass and drink "charms","tiki lounge" coffee mugs, hula girl spreading knives, and more. Just about all the clothing is "aloha" motif. There was no getting away from it (not that I was trying). They even had palm tree/Hawaii photo albums and tiki "French memo boards". I'm compelled to buy everything I see that has a tiki head on it, but I had to draw the line as I was overwhelmed yet again. Hula frames, etc. were 50% off, but then again they're always having a sale.
and it's not even Spring yet!

Maybe they are trying to make up for knocking down our Kona Lanes bowling alley here in California

I agree with you lucky!!

Thanks Guy. I think we are going to have to have another tiki bowling event pretty soon there. Either that or go for the windex and kareoke.

Hula Girl Spreading Knives????

Cool!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen on 2003-03-21 08:40 ]

KK

Easy big fella...I believe those are "hula girl (ceramic figures) horse de ovüres spreaders"...but I like the idea of "hula girls spreading knives!!!" as much as bikini girls with machine guns.

T

I was at kohls yesterday and was lucky to have cash left! The Tiki stuff was everywhere.

[ Edited by: TikiBud on 2003-03-24 14:32 ]

On 2003-03-23 20:55, Kava King wrote:
...but I like the idea of "hula girls spreading knives!!!" as much as bikini girls with machine guns.

...aaah! I have to say that The Cramps video of the same name is one of my credits as cinematographer that I am truly proud of...that and their "Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon"

I was at HB Kohls today and didn't see shit! Nada one tiki anywhere. Nada one hula girl spreader! Pissed me off!

If you haven't seen the tiki stuff yet... try try again...
My dad just called to tell me he saw a bunch of tiki stuff at the new Kohl's in the west San Fernando Valley - now don't you all go running there and buy everything until I have a chance to go buy some things :wink:

On 2003-03-24 17:15, bigbrotiki wrote: "...aaah! I have to say that The Cramps video of the same name is one of my credits as cinematographer that I am truly proud of...that and their 'Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon'"

Gawd, Sven, I did not think you could GET any cooler - now you're telling me that my favorite video ("Bikini Girls") by one of my favorite bands of all time was done by YOU!? Sooooo influential on me and my stage show were they. An ultraproud moment for me was being compared to the Cramps - I often dressed rather Ivy-ish (or Tura Satana-ish), but I was the lead singer too. I did not, however, take off my rubber pants onstage in Paris, the way I saw Lux do one time. Full-scale riot, chairs out the window, ambulances. One of the best shows i ever saw, needless to say.

Still looking for a gold sparkly bikini like Ivy's in the video, too...

I am SO impressed, Big Bro!!! DAMN!

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2003-03-27 15:44 ]

ok - just went to kohl's and they do have some decent tiki stuff... the best things i thought were a maoi head mug that comes with some cheap plastic cutlery in it. Also a tiki mug salt and pepper shaker that I had to get. one piece is a tiki mug and the other shaker is the drink garnish!
They also have a bunch plastic wares - tinted see-thru wide moai drink glasses, plastic pitchers with mai tai and zombie pictures on it, some plastic trays with tiki heads and similar... oooo i just found a ceramic version of the plastic stuff i saw at the store on their website
http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_multiple0.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=41921251&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=42820553&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=3440897&bmUID=1048924165974

Don't look in the kichten wares area, though. Everything is in the giftware/frame section of the store (near alot of Easter stuff) and everything is marked 50% off.
Lastly, they also had these kinda tiki-ish looking picture frames. they look like little 3D logs about 8" tall with a face carving on the top half and a hole where the mouth outta be for putting pictures in - kind bizzarre, not sure if it was intended to be just a tree spirit or tiki?

*On 2003-03-21 08:40, RevBambooBen wrote:*Hula Girl Spreading Knives????

Shag should license cheese spreaders based on his painting 'wives with knives.'

T

Cherry,
Way ahead of you on the advertising campaign. Too lazy to see it through.

Forgive me. It's been a longer night than usual.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-03-29 01:50 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies