Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

lot of witco in la!! holy cow

Pages: 1 28 replies

CJ

Somebody beat me to it before I spend to much money!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/fuo/885845533.html

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Oct 20, 2008 1:29 PM

Wow! What a freakin' haul man. Somebody is gonna get a killer set-up here. Thanks for sharing.

CJ

I hated to share but figured it was my duty. I hope I get at least some of it.

Wow, a whole lifetime of collecting Witco in one shot. Good luck to all you lucky people close enough to make it there!

PTD

TT

good score there...who got it???????????
Is Sven down at U-Haul feverishly hiring a truck right now?

CJ

Just called and they will only sell the whole lot and there's a couple people looking at them now. Oh well...I should have went to college so I'd have lots of $$ for things like this.

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2008-10-20 15:27 ]

On 2008-10-20 15:23, Coco Joe wrote:
Just called and they will only sell the whole lot and there's a couple people looking at them now. Oh well...I should have went to college so I'd have lots of $$ for things like this.

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2008-10-20 15:27 ]

Coco Joe,

How much were they asking for everything??

PTD

CJ

It shows $3,500 on the craigslist post but I bet some lucky bastard got them for less and we'll be seeing them on ebay in the next few days.

I think I would be in some MAJOR trouble at home if I could have made it there and back before tiki hammer got home. Seems like a lot of money, but I think that is a steal for everything. Hope some lucky TC'er scored it!

PTD

:o :o :o :o :o

T

Just sold today :(

JB

Tikiyaki, can I borrow your truck...I've got some furniture pieces to pick up.

Wow.. and all I really want is the fountain...:wink: ohh and that bar.. okay the picture and statue aren't too bad either...:0
I hope one of you TC'ers scored this cool collection and not just a reseller...
If so let's see some pics..

Wow.. and all I really want is the fountain...:wink: ohh and that bar.. okay the picture and statue aren't too bad either...:0
I hope one of you TC'ers scored this cool collection and not just a reseller...
If so let's see some pics..

I arrived to look at the collection at three-forty five and it was pretty much sold at that point. The soon to be owner was there, waiting for his partner in Witco to arrive. He was very nice and showed us everything. It was from Santa Monica and was being sold as a set for $3500. The thrift shop had received lots of calls from all over. The two guys that purchased the set were buying it for their collections and not to resell.

CJ

Did you get anymore pics?

T

You see, it's times like this I hate that I'm not independently wealthy and could just take off for California.

Oh well, it was cool just to look at.

[ Edited by: tikitees 2008-10-20 20:02 ]

[ Edited by: tikitees 2008-10-20 20:02 ]

I am sorry, I did not take any pictures. (If you will forgive my Witco naivety) I could try to describe what was in the lot. There was a sofa and a large chair both upholstered in leopard, with lots of leopard throw pillows. The fountain! The Tahitian couple. The bar, stools, side tables that were shown in the picture. A large coffee table. Three shields, with tikis and leopard backgrounds. A very cool, small, low round table with attached round stools. The two lady lights with leopard shades (these each had a tiki pendant on a chain around the middle of the lamp). There was a stack of leopard pillow that had tassels and the bottom pillow had wheels. The two tikis that are shown in the picture. There were several Witco animals: a small hippopotamus, a short cat a whale and an owl with fireplace tools. I think that's everything.

On 2008-10-20 21:01, sparklegem wrote:
I am sorry, I did not take any pictures. (If you will forgive my Witco naivety) I could try to describe what was in the lot. There was a sofa and a large chair both upholstered in leopard, with lots of leopard throw pillows. The fountain! The Tahitian couple. The bar, stools, side tables that were shown in the picture. A large coffee table. Three shields, with tikis and leopard backgrounds. A very cool, small, low round table with attached round stools. The two lady lights with leopard shades (these each had a tiki pendant on a chain around the middle of the lamp). There was a stack of leopard pillow that had tassels and the bottom pillow had wheels. The two tikis that are shown in the picture. There were several Witco animals: a small hippopotamus, a short cat a whale and an owl with fireplace tools. I think that's everything.

OOHHH THAT'S IT??? Now I don't feel so bad...............................:(

CJ

Now I hate Tiki Central! I'm deleting my profile, jerks

W

For the records, here's the actual Craigs List post and photos.

*JUST IN..

1960's COMPLETE VERY WELL MADE HAWAIIAN TIKI SET.. SET IS SOLID CARVED WOOD AND IS VERY HEAVY.. INCLUDES BAR & BAR STOOLS, COUCH, SOFA, CHAIR, CHANDELIER, COFFEE TABLE, END TABLES, SCULPTURES, PICTURES, 2 LAMPS, TIKI POLE, FIRE PLACE HOLDER OWL STATUE, MASKS, ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC.. EVERYTHING IS NOT SHOWN IN PICTURES.*

...and now we have one more thrift shop owner added to the mix that will be combing the estate sales and competing with us to find witco items.....

....bet he closed up shop for the day after that $3500 sale and did cartwheels all the way home.....he'll be the first one at the flea market this weekend when it opens!!

Wow, what an amazing find!! Unlike most of the infrequent big lots of Witco that turn up, this one is pretty much all tiki-related rather than the goofy conquistador stuff. Incredible that there are still undiscovered caches of Witco out there that are as big as this. That price is/ was a real bargain for that lot and one can only imagine what the thrift store must have bought it for.

And in Witco-poor L.A., for that matter! What I really wanna know is where it came from originally, and how it looked in situ, and if any period pictures of that exist! I have a hunch it came from an African American household. Hopefully my friend who got it asked, I will view the loot soon.

Myself, I have no wall space left, and am not a stockpiler. I made sure I got some nice pieces from the line before the book came out, and am content with my Tahiti bar, the sofa, the chair, the God of Good Fortune, the World, the Dancers, the metal couple and lamp, the.... :) There are always pieces I would go for, but the NEEEED has lessened.

CJ

Any pics of the final resting place of these pieces?

The loot got divided into two, and both owners are currently looking for larger digs to properly display their wooden treasures with the rest of their collection. I hate to tell ya, but there was quite a bit more than can be seen in the photos. The good thing is that it went to people who are fully appreciative, and very dedicated hunters and collectors of the world of Witco and Tiki en large.

I am still fascinated by the fact that such a big lot of Witco existed in one home in notoriously Witco-poor Los Angeles, Santa Monica for that matter. I have a hunch there was a dealer connection, my suspicion centers around Tepper Bar Supply in Venice, CA:

Me and Jeff Berry used to go there to get our mixes. Needless to say, they didn't offer the above items anymore then, this is a 60s postcard. They still exist though, haven't been there in years.

http://www.losangeles.com/tepper-bar-supply-and-equipment-b6134511

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-11-12 16:30 ]

That place looks super cool!
What's up with that giant red chair? Ha ha! I want to see someone try to sit on that thing after one too many Vicious Virgins!
Great stuff big bro, ma halo for sharing!

Some is selling more Witco...the stuff up for sale looks alot like the Witco bought from the thrift store (at least some of it)??

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fuo/980915631.html

Anyone know??

PTD

It's not.

Pages: 1 28 replies