Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Tropicale in Palm Springs

Pages: 1 7 replies

Has anyone been to the The Tropicale in Palm Springs?

I just got the new issue of Westways from AAA. Under they restaurant section, they reviewed The Tropicale and described it as "With exotic cocktails and modern renditions of spicy dishes from tropical regions around the world, Palm Springs' The Tropicale is reminiscent of the old tiki-style restaurants, but with a hip makeover that showcases the cities modernist design."

From the looks of the website http://www.thetropicale.com/ it doesn't appear to be anything tiki. Does anyone know if know if there is anything worth looking at besides the mural up behind the bar? From the photos, it appears to look more like a "contemporary" designed hotel restaurant.

I dig the music, man.

Tropical is a a great restaurant and owned by friends of mine,But I would not call it tiki... More Southern Rim. The food and the drinks are very good and this is one of the first restaurants build from the ground up in Palm Springs in a very long time. Enjoy the Drinks and the Great Mid-Century look but don't think of this as TIKI!!!!!

Wildsville-Man

But if anyone wants to meet for a drink please let me know....Ranz has a very heavy hand!!!!DIG?

May your Halloween be very tiki-freaky

Cool, next time I go down and visit Mom and Grandma or hit up the PS Film Noir festival, I will check it out!

heavy handed bartenders = my favorite.

The Tropicale is a good job of bringing Tropical mid-century modern into the 21st Century, worth checking out indeed.

My wife and I have hit the Tropicale several times since moving to Palm Springs this summer. We've had a great time as the service really is great. Yes, more mid century, not so Tiki. The bar area is called the Coral Seas Lounge. It feels more Carribean than South Pacific to me.

They just redid their menu. My favorite drink of theirs, the Captain's Sidecar (side care with spiced rum), was dropped from the menu. Luckily, the bartenders all remember how to make it! Be sure to ask for it.

TL

I concer with the comments above. Definitely a cool place, with kind of a Havanna-before-Castro feel, but not remotely tiki. Excellent drinks and tasty food.

CJ

A few pix

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-03-16 00:06 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies