Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's "out the door" liquor store plastic bottle drinks

Pages: 1 6 replies

I did a search, so delete if redundant.

Has anyone tried these? I'm drinking a "Blue Hawaii" right now. I always hate those premixed drinks like the "Club" brand. The Trader Vic's could be worse, but aside from being so acidic that my ulcer is crying in pain, I've actually had worse at certain "tiki" bars.

D

When I was in San Francisco in August I found a four-pack of the Mai Tais at some corner bodega in the downtown area near my hotel. Totally caught me by surprise. End result? They sucked. I was hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. I drank half of one and threw the rest out. Way too sugary and tasted nothing like the Mai Tais served at the restaurants.

Par for the TV course. I've found, when it comes to TV products in general nowadays, if you expect the worst it sometimes meets your expectations and the rest of the time doesn't live up to them. :cry:

F

I recently had the Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix for a party - I love sweet drinks, but I do think it was waaay too sweet.

Spotted these at Bev Mo the other day. Seems that everyones making pre made drinks. Bet they taste just GREAT! Who is gonna try them all and give a report?

D

Hate to be negative but based on my experience of attempting to drink one of the 4-pack Mai Tais, I'll betcha al these premade cocktails taste like urine.

Well- I tried the Trader Vics pre-made potion. I think it has it's place. Bought the smaller $4.99 bottles at BevMo, tasted & a little sweet for me. So- I added a bit of fresh lime juice & upped the anny on the rum & put in big gallon jugs. Took it and my cooler to huge car show (3900 cars) where we usually take beer. Imagine the look on my car buddies faces when I poured the drink over crushed ice & then broke out the sliced pineapple w/ cherry. Drink snobs? I didn't find one. They were tripping all over themselves to get them one! They were a hit!
The funny part- people were coming up to us all day wondering what vendor was selling tropical drinks!
They aren't bad. OK when there's nothing else. I'd do it again because it's cheap.
Now at home- Whole different story. Then it's fresh lime juice, orgeat, simple syrup, orange curcao, 2 expensive rums, mint & the shell of the lime. Too much work & $$$$$ for a car show.
If you had the choice of beer or a doctored Mai Tai from a bottle, I know what you will pick.

Pages: 1 6 replies