Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

How can I get the stopper back in the Jim Beam Tiki decanter?

Pages: 1 15 replies

I just bought this 1974 United Airlines Jim Beam decanter. It was designed for the Hawaiian Open golf tournament and I love it. But I can't get the golf ball stopper back in it. I am concerned that the neck of the opening will break if I push too hard. The stopper is also porcelain with a plastic cover where it enters the decanter. Has anyone else faced this? (yea, yea I know, someone is going to say buy a cork stopper it will look better. I would occasionally like to put back to the way it was originally so I would love some help).

Interestingly, I recently acquired a 1964 Jim Beam "I Dream of Jeannie" decanter that had similar issue. I'd also be interested in a solution.

try soaking in hot water until it becomes more mailable.

LT

Definitely need to soak the cork.

S

Yes. You need a good cork soaking. Used to be a union of them as a trade and they would have a big convention in San Francisco every year, along with the Maternity Garment Workers Union. Biggest bunch of cork soakers and mother frockers you ever saw.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-10-23 08:53 ]

TZ

Hmmm - I don't know if soaking a plastic-coated ceramic stopper will do much. What about putting the stopper in the freezer? Might make it shrink a bit.

Ayayay, what a predicament! I just checked my bottle to see if you could whittle off some plastic from the cork, but no, that is solid, hard material! Boiling it in water to make it pliable and then pushing it in? I dunno...
But thank you, I just now realized that my bottle is almost full still, I am gonna give it a taste test later on! :)

The biggest problem I see with putting the cork stopper back in is that you have to quit drinking from it!!!

i never said "boiling" i said "hot"

R

a little crisco shortening or sand paper it.

TT

A Big F#*&ing Hammer
(no liability taken for outcome)

S

Put the stopper in the freezer and run hot water over the top, then see if they don't fit right together.

H

Try dipping it in cider :wink:

T

Yeah, cider is enough to make any thing PUCKER UP. :lol: :D :D :D AHH DAMN IT ALL TO HELL, THERE I GO AGAIN BEING THAT CLASS CLOWN THAT BENZ KEEPS TELLING ME ABOUT.. :lol: Happy is good..

T

By the way, I couln't find any help for you on getting the plastic cork back into your decanter, but I did find this out about how to get a cork out of a bottle just incase any one needs to know.
http://www.viewdo.com/now_viewing.php?id=187

:lol:

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-10-25 15:27 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies