Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Witco in Ohio!

Pages: 1 5 replies

Not my auction but I saw this on the bay, too far for me but maybe someone else can grab it.....

Here is the link....
http://cgi.ebay.com/70-CARVED-WOOD-AFRICAN-GOD-OF-FERTILITY-TIKI-POLE_W0QQitemZ190260489466QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4190QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Good luck!

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-10-22 13:09 ]

was it someone in here (TC) send this guy an e-mail telling him it was a WITCO and they should ask more?

On 2008-11-04 10:58, TIKI DAVID wrote:
was it someone in here (TC) send this guy an e-mail telling him it was a WITCO and they should ask more?

The same thing happened to me when I bought the headboard recently...the buyer all of the sudden knew it was Witco, although the ad said "tiki/retro carved headboard. The person who contacted her also told her she should be asking way more for it than she was. Fortunately my wife knew the seller and it worked out.

Why would someone go out of their way to sabotage a sale?? Should we all troll craigslist and ebay and if we see something we know we have no way of getting, contact the seller and tell them to charge more? I really hope it isn't anyone here??

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-11-04 11:08 ]

I think it is de-constructive to do this if people who have no intention to buy the object (obviously!) do that. Why would they? Out of "fairness"? Would they do the same if they really wanted the piece, and gladly give the person more money, voluntarily?
It is de-constructive because It often causes sellers to get the wrong idea about the value of Tiki stuff, which is so subjective. I often shake my head at some of the prices some sellers call up, making objects that they see as worthless become unaffordable to many Tiki fans out there. The result is the seller gets stuck with an overpriced item, because possible buyers say "you must be kidding!".

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-11-04 13:20 ]

Yes, I definately agree. I never offer any info to a seller and seem less then interested until the purchase is made (even though it's killing me inside!) whether at the flea market or an antique shop. I always hope that the seller does'nt know what they have and hope for a good deal cause we all need more "Tiki" money for the next big find! That is messed up that someone would do that to a fellow Tiki collector. Everyone deserves a good deal sometimes!
There is a few cool shops in asbury park near me that carry 50's/60's furntiure and old architectual pieces. I sometimes check 'em out to see if they unearthed any old tiki's or Witco stuff. But they seem to have discovered the Witco name and jacked up the prices on anything that even looks like witco....Damn!

B

TIKIHEADS - I've been below the radar on Tiki Central for WAAAAAAAAAY too long, but I've put on my game face and am back in again. OK - I've got a TO DIE FOR "Primo" Beer Tiki Bar Tap Handle featuring the 3-D "Primo" Ali'i head figure - SEE IMAGES ATTACHED here (but keep reading after):

It's over 10" high altogether. Ain't cheap, but it is AMAZING. Also - I've got a line on a dozen WITCO Tiki Bar stools. Any interest??

love,

kc

Pages: 1 5 replies