Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Detailed Tiki Mug. Page 3

Pages: 1 33 replies

Hey look! New Tainted Tiki Mugs that have been thrown on a wheel then carved by hand. These guys are in the greenware stage and awaiting a first firing. Bad lighting on some pics. Working on new mugs. Wuwu!

Tainted Tiki eBay Store

[ Edited by: yumyumkid 2009-07-30 23:49 ]

[ Edited by: yumyumkid 2009-08-09 21:26 ]

L
Liana posted on Thu, Oct 23, 2008 2:20 AM

Ooooh, I like those! Especially the first guy!! Can't wait to see them all glazed up :D

Liana

I like that idea; wheelthrown then carved

You must make them pretty thick to start with. The 3rd one is my favorite, very detailed

GT

Very Cool!

Very nice work, never seen anything quite like 'em - did you get your name from "The Yum Yum books" by R. Crumb?

Can't wait to see these finished.

B

Mmmmmm, YUMMY!

Excellent, keep us posted with ongoing pics!

S

sweet!

New mugs?

[ Edited by: yumyumkid 2008-10-30 23:04 ]

Heyo, thanks for the comments. These are thrown pretty thick, about 1/4 to 1/3 thick. The name is a combination of Asian snack foods that I think are hilarious :D

Having comp problems with uploading some new images. Three new mugs and a bowl. The bowl was thrown with a brown clay and the feet are a white clay. Teeth are based loosely off of shark teeth. Fan of all the war clubs and other weapons. More up next week. Check back soon.

L

Oooh sweeeet! Love the bowl and the guy with the horns :D

Nice work!

Liana.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 31, 2008 2:46 AM

These are looking great mate :) Cant wait to see em glazed and fired!

I love the multiple clay effect on the bowl. Last night I started a monkey made from Soldate 60 (yellowish), porcelain (white), and a dark brown Laguna WC373. We'll see if it works out.

B

Yummy,

The bowl is to die for! Love, love the feet's...do you have your own ceramics studio? It would be killa to see a picture of it. I really dig seeing other peoples work spaces.

Great work!

Y

Just finished this last nite. Pattern was carved by hand. I have been looking at pictures of megalodon shark teeth. That's where the idea of the feet came from, although they are alot smaller. :D This thing is extremely fragile at the moment and I am trying to dry it out very slowly. Set it up for some QUICK pics, they aren't that great. Will get some more after it is bisque fired.

As for the work space issue, we just throw some newspaper down on the dining room table and get to work. Clean up with a dustbuster. I will get a pic up soon, lol.
Wheel work is done outside in the driveway. Clean up's a breeze.

Love it! Your "studio" is about the same as mine. I work in the kitchen instead of the dining room because the dining room has carpet :)

YumYum, do you have your own kiln?

Hey MadDog. Yeah, we have a kiln. I was able to pick one up in 2000 from a Salvation Army type place. Think it was made in 1976 and had one owner before. One of the coils does not work and the top was in poor shape. The seams were weak and some of the bricks were crumbling. I took a buncha hose clamps, connected them to make a huge loop and fit it around the lid. Tightened all the screws and the lid pulled together. Oh yeah, replaced the cord also. Think the old one had some wires exposed. Got a new one at Home Depot for $15 and took about twenty minutes to install. Paid $50 for the kiln and it fires great. I think my next one will be a Skutt. What kinda kiln do you have?

Nothing like a little Yankee ingenuity! I've got a small (9"x11") 110v Olympic that I picked up for $150. I can fire up to 8 mugs at a time, depending on their size. The nice thing is that it only cost me 60 cents every time I fire it :)

Y

Holy crap! Sixty cents per firing?! Our kiln is a 220V and I was looking into getting a smaller 210 one for mugs and glazing. What model is it? Also what cone do you fire to and about how long does it take for a bisque firing/glaze firing? Thanks.

It's an Olympic 129. I lowfire to 04 bisque and 06 glaze. It is rated at cone 6 (when new) but I wouldn't try it. It's manual with a kiln-sitter, I usually do a glaze run of 2 hours low, 1 hour medium, and 1.5 - 2 hours high. Bisque takes a little longer but not much

Y

Player 2 of Tainted Tiki did this awesome traditional style tiki. The eyes turned out great on this one. Carved out really deep around the edges.

Looks "yummy" :lol:

Is that a slipcast mug or the plasticine model?

GT

All your work is very impressive, Great Job! Gogo

Thanks guys. It is a thrown mug that has been carved out. Same as the other ones.

New mug finished:

Some better pictures of these now that they are a little more stable:

Mugs finally glazed up. These are all the hand carved mugs.

Here are the mugs that have been produced using a mold. These were test runs to see how the mold would work and how glazes would look on the mug. These were cast from one mold in 2008. This year we made 3 more for a total of 4 working molds at the moment. Now we are producing a run of 100 of these. Have about 25 that are cleaned up and dried. The "work station" is in the bath tub in the spare bathroom. Will get a picture of it up in a bit. It's hilarious. Overall I am happy with the way these mugs turned out. We had four(not pictured) that cracked cuz we opened the kiln too soon after the glaze firing. This is the first time that we have glaze fired anything that was made from a mold and I think the reason they cracked was because of the thickness of the mugs. We are used to doing the handmade mugs with are thick and bulky. These cast ones are thin and I think the cooler air rushing into the kiln when it was opened cracked these guys. Solution? Have more patience and wait about 48 hours before opening the kiln. Enjoy.

And this one is my favorite. Aqua undercoat which really pooled in the crevices and chartreuse on top. Great glaze that we tried out: "Speedball low fire" Will be getting some different kinds.

These pics are way to big. Thanks for looking.

M
mp posted on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 12:00 AM

Totally awesome mugs Yum Yum! My fingers are cramping looking at all that work.
Those first few metalic glazes look sweeeeeet.

YUMYUM!!!!!

I was looking through my sketchbook yesterday at a picture of your sharktooth footed bowl that I had saved for inspirations and I thought "Whatever happened to Yumyum?" And here you are with a whole buttload of cool stuff!!!

What is this glaze? I have been looking for something like this and all I can find is expensive white gold luster.

Hey guys, thanks for kind words. Maddog, here is the info on the glaze:

Brand: Amaco
Name: Old Pewter
Type: Textured Alligator Liquid Glaze-Lead Free
Fires to cone 05 (which is what we do)

We apllied one thick coat then followed it up with a sponge application to even it out. This stuff is neat, personally I like it on stuff that isn't to "busy". If you're not able to track it down with the info I gave you, lemme know and I will track down where we got.

On I side note, the two bowls with the shark teeth have not been glazed yet. I was waiting to see how some of the new glazes turned out on the red clay.

Z

Amazing! Absolutely stunning!

Thanks Yumyum. Duncan has an Antique Brass that rocks, but the Heirloom Silver in the same series SUCKS!!!

P

OH, MY STARS AND GARTERS!
Ono work, yummy!
MOREMOREMORE!
(er...wanna trade something?):D

Make me somthing Tripical. You know,a mai-tai,with 3 shots of rum!
Is it just me, or do whales look like they're built upside down?

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-07-31 16:48 ]

Y

Starting to carve designs into some of the cast mugs.

Pages: 1 33 replies