Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki-musts in Las Vegas, Nevada?

Pages: 1 14 replies

EB

Howdy my friends! What are absolute Tiki-must-sees in Las Vegas? Teitelbaums "Road Trip" - which is a very important source for me - seems not to have that much, like "Cheeseburgers at the Oasis", the "Trader Vic's" of course and a few other places. Any hint is welcome.

There is a replica of the Waikiki International MarketPlace there.

On 2008-10-23 12:31, tikiyaki wrote:

have you been recently? There is very little "Tiki" left, let alone that alot of the storfronts are vacant.

T

On 2008-10-23 13:39, Haole'akamai wrote:

have you been recently? There is very little "Tiki" left, let alone that alot of the storfronts are vacant.

I've never been..I just heard about it....That's sad :(

There is very little of ANYTHING worthwhile seeing left in that town.

http://www.tahitijoeslasvegas.com

Not great, not bad, but about the only thing going on until the top secret place Bamboo Ben is working on opens...

CJ

Looks like it's worth going to. I can't tell if the decor is authentic oceanic arts or cheap rip offs. Does anybody know more?

EB

Well, Tahitijoe's seems to be a cool place, I'll check it out. I wonder what kinds of souvenir-mugs they have... Thanx a lot for the hint!

I would check out the Fireside Lounge at the Peppermill, Not Tiki but still cool and you can get Scorpion Bowls! :)

On 2008-10-24 12:11, Bora Boris wrote:
I would check out the Fireside Lounge at the Peppermill, Not Tiki but still cool and you can get Scorpion Bowls! :)

I love that place!!

On 2008-10-23 15:53, bigbrotiki wrote:

Hey, I am hurt! Mr. Smiley and I are still left in this town!

On 2008-10-24 12:58, The Sperm Whale wrote:

On 2008-10-24 12:11, Bora Boris wrote:

I love that place!!

I concur! Make sure you actually make it to the Fireside Lounge (which is through the doors, off to the left, once you're inside).

One sad thing, though, is that they keep adding more and more flat-screen tvs. The upshot is the German gay soft-core music videos (at least, that's what they were playing last time we were in).

On 2008-10-27 09:27, inkylouise wrote:

On 2008-10-23 15:53, bigbrotiki wrote:

Hey, I am hurt! Mr. Smiley and I are still left in this town!

So true! Right now, the BEST tiki bar in town is at Inky & Mr. Smiley's place. :)

I just got back from Vegas and went to both Trader Vic's and Tahiti Joe's.

Vic's is depressing. On a Tuesday night, the dining area was closed so we had to sit on patio overlooking the Strip. There was hardly anyone there, but I still had to go to the bar to order my drinks because I got tired of waiting for one of the servers to come around. Then I got attitude from the bartender, who I was apparently taking away from her conversation with a guy at the bar. I ordered two Mai-Tai's mixed "the old-fashioned way without the mix". Apparently, asking her to do her job was asking too much.

Tahiti Joe's had fantastic service. The food was good, but the drinks weren't very consistent. The second Mai-Tai ordered looked and tasted a lot different from the first. Decor was nice. I wish the lights had been dimmer for more atmosphere. The had a souvenir mug, which I got, but it's not that exciting. Would I recommend the place, sure. Would I recommend going out of your way to get there, nope.

TT

Check out the Frankies Tiki Bar thread in General Tiki. Bamboo Ben and the rest of the TC hierarchy are apparently creating something great. Set to open Dec 4, 08. It looks like Tiki Farm is creating unique mugs for many of the Beachbum Berry sanctioned cocktails. I visited Taboo Cove in its last sad days and I am looking forward to Vegas getting some real tiki back.

Pages: 1 14 replies