Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

my first tiki

Pages: 1 46 replies

looking for a little feedback.

this is my first piece carved out of a broken pecan branch, i had no idea what i was doing. my muse is the current owner of both of these. she got it as a christmas present. she got me interested in carving and still keeps me encouraged, though i think she just wanted me to be her own personal carver.

the little head is my 6th, also pecan.

i've sold 2 and kept 7 including the one i used hickory. i will be sending my tools in to be sharpened after that debacle. currently working on a new one using basswood - soo nice, soo soft and i'm waiting for my palm trunks and pine trunks to dry out so i can start work on some big pieces. if anything nice came out of ike was the fact i found some downed palm trees. like i said any feedback would be appreciated.

thanx

i like 'em

cool stuff!

Cool! Very rustic-artistic looking. Everyone here tries to get a style their own, and you got it already!
Keep 'em coming. And welcome to TC!

Nothing wrong with being a "personal carver." I just happen to be
my own "personal carver."
I like 'em too, especially the first one. Just a little bit off kilter...
and I mean that in a good way.

T

Looking good, man. I too scored some trees from Ike. Don't like they way I got 'em, but that can't be helped now can it? :lol:

B

Well you SURE Know how to pick some Hard woods, Pecan is Ultra hard and Hickory a bit harder and has silica thrown in. Does Wonders for keeping the local tool sharpener in business! :)However up comes the Bass wood to save the day. The Standard in recreational carving, soft, consistent and takes finish easily. Once you get a few bass wood pieces under your belt you should be carving tikis as well as or better than anyone else around. Keep up the great work Oh yes, and WELCOME to Tiki Central

Dude, You get an AA++ for originality!!! I like them. Welcome to Tiki Central and keep them coming.

*On 2008-10-28 11:04, big daddy wrote:*my muse is the current owner of both of these. she got it as a christmas present. she got me interested in carving and still keeps me encouraged, though i think she just wanted me to be her own personal carver.

So am I smart or WHAT?!! :wink:

So nice to get to see your stuff in this context, Big Daddy! Congrats for a your unique (and great) style!
F

.....C'mon, palm wood; dry! Dry, dammit!!

BD

thanks for the feedback folks! i'll post a few of my others soon.

Nice i realy like.

M

Imagine what you could do with a softer wood. Nicely done mang.

BD

some new pieces

still need to fine tune these guys. scarface and peaceful pete

newest piece i'm carving. not happy with all the cracks popping up all over.

i finally found something to do with the corks i collect at work, helps pass the time of night at the bar.

2nd piece i ever carved. glad i was directed to this site since seeing all the work done by all y'all (the plural for y'all) definitely inspires me. thanks to everyone.

bd

You are coming on strong I like your work.
You have own style coming thru already NICE!

BD

sorry miss formikahini but that xmas gift is now on a waitlist. funny what can happen when you sharpen your chisels.

didn't feel a thing till the doc numbed my finger to stitch me up.

i guess she'll receive in on "reyes magos" day.

S
s!q posted on Thu, Dec 25, 2008 3:36 PM

i really dig that new one you're working on! bummer about the hand.

nice original styles!

Wow me really like those 2 fellas Great look!

Dam on the cut!

T

Dude, be careful! Damn that looks painful. Your stuff is coming along good. Do you need any other wood. Lemme know.

Roy

J

Yeouuuch... I know that smarts.

Post that in the saftey thread as a gentle reminder to everybody.

I like the originality on the tiki carving, and the corks are a good idea.

here's a couple that i finished, hope y'all enjoy.

this guy - peaceful pete is now standing guard and watching over musicians at a recording studio in austin,tx.

this guy is scarface, destroyer of digits. he is no longer allowed to play with others and he is under my muse's mind control at her tiki compound.

found some really nice pieces of pine that are ready to carve. will post the progress soon.

T

Looks great, BD. Yeah, he's a bad boy. Too bad about the finger. Did that one guy ever come through with the palm?

BD

thanks t

no deal on the wood yet but i did find a stash of pine that had just been cut down and put out for heavy trash (some of which was already dried out) so i filled my exploder. now i just gotta find time to carve. been thinking of going all bob dylan and going electric and buying a grinder and a dremel and a chainsaw, sure looks like it would be faster and brings in that element of danger (rapidly turning blades of steel and soft flesh). to you and all the other carvers out there have agreat day.

bd

On 2009-01-23 05:59, big daddy wrote:
thanks t

no deal on the wood yet but i did find a stash of pine that had just been cut down and put out for heavy trash (some of which was already dried out) so i filled my exploder. now i just gotta find time to carve. been thinking of going all bob dylan and going electric and buying a grinder and a dremel and a chainsaw, sure looks like it would be faster and brings in that element of danger (rapidly turning blades of steel and soft flesh). to you and all the other carvers out there have agreat day.

bd

I love it! The electric/gas/oil Dylan! Brilliant! Chuckle!

Nice work on all the pieces, I like the moai with feathers.

T

On 2009-01-23 05:59, big daddy wrote:
thanks t

bd

The dremel has really come in handy for sanding and shaping small areas. Also I have one of those Black & Decker "Mouse" sanders. Works pretty good for small areas as well, but the velcro isn't as sturdy as I would like it to be. Just treat it kindly. :)

C

Cool first ones! keep them coming!

I like the one with the twisted mouth. Good stuff big daddy.

S

Nice work me like. Looks like the Picasso of tiki cool.

S

Nice work me like. Looks like the Picasso of tiki cool.

BD

got all inspired seeing everyone's carves, then i found some ford pine.

gonna carve me a big simple one i said to myself

then i got carried away

as you can see i didn't even chose one of the bigger pieces of pine but a tiny branch that was meant for the garbage heap. one day i'll be happy with what i carve. he still needs some work or may put him aside and let the wood speak to me.

S

You are doing just fine! I love your Picasso tikis.
You got some talent there and more logs.

Ooooooooh!

I love those! I don't know why but your style just has such a "warm" feel to it, somehow yout tikis feel... "inviting"? There is just such a wonderfully laid-back spirit to your work.

Aloha!

Marcus

K

Awesome keep up the good work. I have yet to do my first tiki
K-Billy

BD

thanks everyone for the comps. finding the time to carve is the problem. work keeps calling trying to find me, i've let the yard go back to nature....the girlfriend is getting a little mad and worried and my daughter keeps finding new, tiny secret communities i create in beer bottles. i keep telling her i expect those little societies to start carving tiki's in my image one day. when that happens i'll post the photos and then take credit for them. then i'll enslave them and put them to work for me

seeks - thanks. love picasso as well as dali but my fave at the moment is max ernst

B

Cool nice carving and , by the way, the grain is freaky awesome.

Benjamin.

L

I understand what's you feel when you have difficult to find time to carve...I have same problem, but I have chance to do during my working day...
Keep cool and continue your nice work!!!

T

On 2009-02-12 13:36, big daddy wrote:
then i got carried away

uh huh. See what happens when you drink and carve?! :lol: Love the intricate detail!

B

LOOKIN' Good there and I'm sure after I have a few more "lubricating" drinks it will look even better yet! :o

BD

thanks guys! computer crashes for 3 days and i'm sifting through several hundred emails.

benella - as to the grain of the wood, i forget where i read it (think it was a benzart quote) but it said "go deep, don't be afraid" and thats what i did. working on a new piece that has the same grain pattern and i will try to do it again.

benzart and t - the lubrication helps. think i figured out a system. i fill a gallon jug with my favorite concoction and hang it above my head, the fittings and fish tank tubing allow just the right mixture to reach me as i can now lubricate hands free while i carve.

bd

BD

well i finished the little guy. not very happy with the way he turned out. here he is

started on a new one.

have several ideas for others. now i have to find the time to carve.

bd

L

well done for the "little guy",almost be felt the influence of the "surréalistes"!!

Good thing if you find time to carve!!

Hey big daddy. I think it's good you're not happy with your carvings. You can transform that emotion into a motivational tool. I'm the same way. There's so many times I look at my stuff and think,... bleh. If this is your passion, you'll never give up. To quote Gladys Knight and The Pips, (The Pips are the coolest), "Keep on keepin on". I'd sing it for you but, well....heh......I'll drink instead.

T

Yeah, the ol' finding the time to carve problem. I have a whole list of people waiting for tikis from me. Might take them years to get one!

Ouch. Hope it is healing up OK. Now I'll have to be more careful.

ok, forgot about this thread. yeah larryzzzz, the finger healed well and have almost regained all range of motion though on some days there is an ache in the bone that bothers me and i still haven't regained the dexterity to play the guitar again( c chord is still hard to reach) but it has made me learn alternative tunings though. i foolishly removed the stitches 2 days before their time so i had to re-wrap the finger in a tight bandage and stay in a splint for another 2 weeks. thanks for looking

bd

A
AKUAE posted on Fri, Jul 17, 2009 8:14 AM

great carving Big Daddy,
any update of the last one

greets from france

Akuae

Nice carve and in very original primitive style. I don't get the feathers though. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing this new guy finished.

BD

tikilizard - thanks for the kind words. i screwed up and started a new thread for my follow up posts. one day i'll know what i'm doing on the computer box thing.

(here the other thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31754&forum=7 )

as for the feathers, well it was a funky broken piece of wood i started carving and couldn't figure out what to do with that stuff sticking out of his helmet. i've never been happy with him that's why he sits behind the others i've carved.

bd

Pages: 1 46 replies