Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mystery vintage swizzles!

Pages: 1 9 replies

It's swizzle madness on TC. Inspired by Boris' posts, I dug up two no name Tiki swizzles with two of my favorite Tiki art concepts, the Cannibal Carving and the Picasso Easter Island dance paddle, plus a Kahiki-style one that mentions a hot springs place I never heard off:

Does anybody have any clue what place the first two came from, or where "Lei Vapors" was?

It’s possible that "Lei Vapors” could be The Vapors in Hot Springs Arkansas?

Maybe they Tiki’d it up in the 60’s or 70’s?

Here’s more.

Not sure if this is anything or not but this was a nightclub that was built back in "59" in Arkansas, Maybe they had a lounge?
http://www.hsnp.com/zz-vapors.htm

Aloha

Guess we were thinking along the same lines...
:wink:

Exactly Beachbumz!

The Vapors logo font looks the same on both the swizzle and the sign. We may have solved this one. :)

As for the Mafia connection the Vapors was probably on the same circuit as Aku Aku in Toledo and most likely every night club back then.

It's still there as a church and it's for sale.

Two more left for someone else to solve. :wink:

Yeaaah! Good work! What a great mid-century building and sign (the original). And what a classic evolution from nightclub/illegal gambling den to "Tower of Strength" church with fake mansard roof, mirrors the decline of American civilization. :D

LT

It would be wonderful to rip away that facade from the original structure.

T

Hello all here's three mystery sticks I have no idea where they're from

First one says Tahiti (I guess it could be from Tahiti?) the Tiki looks somewhat like the Lanai swizzle Tiki.

Next a New Zealand spoon/stick it does slightly resemble the New Zealand air swizzle but this one is poor quality rip off.

And the most mysterious of my mystery sticks, Kon Tiki, but which one and notice the Witco-esque Tiki maybe they got it from the St Louis Mainlander, maybe they had a Witco fountain, your guess is as good as mine?

Bosko

Very funny. That Tahiti swizzle figure has no resemblance to any carvings from Tahiti OR the surrounding islands, and the Kon-Tiki mainlander fountain looks like he's gonna throw up. A typeface cross-check with matchbooks might yield some success?

This stick seems to be a bit of a mystery...

More about this here
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewforum.php?forum=5&40527

Pages: 1 9 replies