Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Were there ever any tikis on Fantasy Island?

Pages: 1 33 replies

TC

Just wondering if tikis ever made it onto an episode of fantasy island or the love boat?

in the new Fantasy island, I saw some of the guests get off DA PLANE and all get drinks in Tiki mugs. I haven't seen any tiki mugs on LB, but a couple of time Isaac brought the Capt. a giant drink in a white shell bowl, with 4 straws and decorated beautifully, that Isaac is a genius. Ever wonder how he can be in all the bars/drinking establishments, and very rarely see another bartender?

Fantasy Islamd (even the old) is a post-Tiki show (just like Hawaii 5-0, strictly seen).
Tikis had become "bad taste" already then.

Book of Tiki, page 53:
"In the 70’s, the thus segregated Polynesian style was watered down further through a certain “Jimmy Buffet-ization”, the introduction of a generic tropical island theme with no definite identity. Be it the Carribean, Mexico, or Polynesia, everywhere was “Margharita-ville”. The popular T.V. show “Fantasy Island” typified this new p.c. detachment from cultural complicity, creating a world of white wicker colonial style decor mixed with exotic plants.
The fern bar replaced the Tiki bar."

last night on tvland, i caught an episode of fantasy island which had several shots w/ tikis in it!

the tikis were in (at least) 2 areas of fantasy island.

one, the fantasy island ice skating rink had an ''island in its center'' w/ a large tiki on it.

two, the rattan-walled piano bar had a huge tiki in the corner.

i saw an episode last week which featured a shot of a shield leaning against a hut. the shield had a design similiar to what i've seen at a couple of trader vics'.

K

Dude, you're watching too much Fantasy Island!

On 2003-09-05 10:45, Tiki Chris wrote:
last night on tvland, i caught an episode of fantasy island which had several shots w/ tikis in it!

the tikis were in (at least) 2 areas of fantasy island.

one, the fantasy island ice skating rink had an ''island in its center'' w/ a large tiki on it.

two, the rattan-walled piano bar had a huge tiki in the corner.

i saw an episode last week which featured a shot of a shield leaning against a hut. the shield had a design similiar to what i've seen at a couple of trader vics'.

K

That bar set is used a lot, and always has a couple tikis in it. I've seen it in about 6 different episodes (sad, I know). But who can resist watching a show where every other episode stars either Bob Denver or Eve Plumb!!? Or both at the same time!

I saw that episode too - I was just flipping channels and saw at least one of them - it looked like a bar scene.

S

In an episode this week I noticed a large tiki greeting guests along with the festive island dancers, Mr. Roarke your host, and Tattoo.

That show had an interesting and creative premise......

The "fantasies" went for $50,000. Wonder with inflation what they'd go for today?

I also caught part of an episode with Tori Spelling!!! AHHAHAHA........

"Oh, Oliver. Oliver, how could I have been so careless? I should have covered the entrance to the cave better. Those children are going to ruin everything. I've got to get rid of them." Professor Whitehead 10/6/72 Brady Bunch "Tiki Caves"

[ Edited by: suzywong on 2003-09-05 15:50 ]

R

I know where Fantasy Island(old) was filmed. It was in Arcadia, Calif. on Baldwin Ave. at the Los Angeles Arboretum. Right across from Santa Anita racetrack! (I luckily ran right into Chevy Chase there bidding on a horse!)
Lots of peacocks also just wandering around. If your ever close by there, check it out. I don't recall any tikis though. I wasn't really into tiki then, just punk rock. :o

TC

On 2003-09-05 11:37, kingslod wrote:
Dude, you're watching too much Fantasy Island!

2 episodes in who knows how many years? to the best of my knowledge the 2 episodes i saw this week & last are the only 2 i've seen since i was a kid.

but thanks for your concern, dude.

UB

Tattoo was a "TIki Gone Wild"!

C

On 2002-06-05 15:05, Tiki Chris wrote:
Just wondering if tikis ever made it onto an episode of fantasy island or the love boat?

Tiki Chris asked this question some time ago, and I have an answer.

Yes, there has been a tiki on Fantasy Island....and he's still there.

Tiki

Fantasy Island....note the sign in the upper left in full is "Polynesian Massage"

I'd, of course, heard and read about it but that photograph is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww...! It's not even a "nice looking" strip club!

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-03-12 23:00 ]

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 31, 2006 5:45 AM

Time to resurect this old thread. Now that the DVD's are out for Fantasy Island season 1, I present you a few still shots with Tiki's on Fantasy Island. Sorry for the bad pics but at least they had some. These shots came from the First Season, Disc 2, Episode called Lady of the Night/The Race Driver.

This little guy looks good and the lamps are choice.

M

On 2006-01-31 05:45, Loki wrote:

Is that...Dan Rather?

J

On 2006-01-31 05:45, Loki wrote:

That's what is missing from my Tiki Bar!
MACRAME!
Maybe a macrame owl would be a good addition, I've seen those.

Great screen caps!
Jon

Priscilla Presley?

I was watching Fantasy Island last night with a friend. (It's impossible to watch alone because you have to have another person with whom you can mock the show.) Anyway, we watched Episode 4 from Season 2 titled Bestseller/The Tomb which originally aired on 10/14/78, and there was a scene in a tiki bar.

Please forgive the crappy screen shots.

Desi Arnaz Jr. wanted to be a famous author, so Mr. Rourke makes him the author of a book about sex. And let the nuttiness ensue. These ladies all want Desi to "Chapter 6" them.

Maureen McCormick makes a run for the ladies room because her mother wants to set her up with...

A nice pediatrician!

Close up of bananas, tiki and giant clam.

The two share a private moment. Maybe he wanted to give Marcia Brady's diary back to her.

Close up of the eavesdropping tiki.

H

Great screencaps, Tiki-Kate! As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Fantasy Island tiki bar set got a fair amount of use, but the episode Tiki-Kate highlighted is the best of the ones I've seen, tiki-wise. A very close second is an episode with Annette Funicello (!) as a ventriloquist (!!) who winds up in a fight to the death with her dummy (!!!) WHILE IN THE TIKI BAR (!!!!). It's pretty spectacular.

H

It looks like it's related to the Tiki from the Pee wee Herman Show.

Correctomundo. This sad Tiki (actually two of them) were just for sale here in LA, at a prop house inventory sale:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33308&forum=1&start=0&hilite=Peewee

I don't have photos but a bunch of the exteriors that were used over and over were shot at the Coco Palms on Kauai. There were not many tikis there but that place really was kind of magic.

A

Tikis on Fantasy Island? And how!

I originally posted this and a few other shots from this episode in another thread, since I think TC can never have too many threads called "tiki tattoo".

-Randy

Now THAT is a scary pagan idol!

On 2009-11-16 09:02, aquarj wrote:
Tikis on Fantasy Island? And how!

I originally posted this and a few other shots from this episode in another thread, since I think TC can never have too many threads called "tiki tattoo".

-Randy

Am I the only one who thinks Tatoo bears a striking resemblance to the United Airlines menehune in this picture? I think the costume department was having some fun.

I think Tattoo makes a better menehune than tiki.

Someone in costume made a decision to not put Tatoo in Tapa cloth like the others.

Okay. I'm not sure when I became the crazy girl who watches Fantasy Island and then takes pictures of her TV, but it is what it is.

These screencaps are from an episode titled I Want to Get Married/Jewel Thief that originally aired on 10/21/78.

Meredith MacRae wants to find a husband on Fantasy Island because her significant other kept postponing their wedding. She goes to the Fantasy Island Disco to hang with her potential suitors until the evil Ken Berry tells all of these men that she's a hooker. Then they start getting fresh with her and this week's nuttiness ensues.

Apparently, the addition of a variety of birds is what turns a tiki bar into a disco.

This is obviously the same place from my previous post.

They even had tiki torches outside.

TM

I don't think there is anything crazy about liking fantasy island, (or taking pictures of your TV)...Fantasy island was a great 70's/80's show, from the location to the opening music to Mr. Rorke....class all the way!

I have the first season on DVD.

This thread has been on our mind lately as we've begun to revisit Fantasy Island ourselves thanks to the DVD rereleases. Our own dim childhood memories of the show are shadowy and vague (way past our bedtimes!) ... it seemed to be somewhat mysterious, and tropical of course however not tiki at all -- we just remember the ferns, white wicker and the red jeeps. (Correction, all Marie remembers is Tattoo ringing the bell.)

But it still seemed like good playing for the tiki bar because it's old, set in a tropical locale, and we wanted to investigate and see how much (if any) tiki there really was. We're glad to see the posts above showing that there's more tiki ahead in the next few seasons that we have to look forward to.

What struck us right away in this experiment is how much the theme song owes to "Ebb-Tide" ... like it's almost an inverted version of it.

No tiki at all in the original pilot, the two hour movie, and first half-dozen episodes, not anywhere. Just a vaguely "tropical" hut, the exotic drinks at the beginning of each episode, and a Polynesian outdoor buffet to rival any put together by Trader Vic:

And lots of ferns ... also this Mesoamerican-looking figure by the door (and I don't mean Tattoo!):

The magic doesn't happen until episode 7. Then, with the sound of waterfalls from walkway overhangs above, is a brief site of something that should capture the attention of any tikiphile:

Tiki credit for anyone who can name the place and location. It still looks more or less the same today (at least on the outside), but it's currently endangered:

This cuts to the interior scene of the tiki bar:

Maybe the best thing about it is the lighting. There are many very nice looking lamps used throughout the tiki bar as you'll see in the various clips, like:

They soon developed the outside facade to the bar. After this it's no longer the real-life location noted above, but now it's a small corner complex built of a red and white striped lighthouse, a boxy warehouse type center with fishnet, and the doorway with the awning that seems suspiciously like leftover material from the canopies on the jeeps:

Kelbo's, anyone?

It definitely looks like the prop exterior was modeled after the W Pico Blvd location ... and now you know why the former LA tiki landmark Kelbo's is now called "Fantasy Island"!

The (as yet unnamed) tiki bar gets a rest for a few weeks, and then comes back in episode 10, where it's featured even more prominently than this guy's collar:

If the Kahiki had been built 17 years later than it had, maybe the village seating area would have looked something like this:

The tiki is even having an effect on the cast:

So is the fishnet:

By episode 11, the bar area comes into prominence:

We couldn't quite make out what it said on the menu cover, but it had us wondering if it was real or a prop:

So the tiki bar was surprsingly impressive, and if it existed today in real life would certainly have high Critiki values of tilt and vibe.

But as bigbro indicates in BoT, this is past the prime of Tiki and well into the tiki devolution of the late 70s. It's not just tiki that changed -- it was the world. Tiki's heyday was the Modern age, and by the late 70s the world had gone Postmodern. Two big indicators evident in season one of Fantasy Island will show this. One has already been mentioned here -- macrame:

And ... disco:

Despite this overwhelming just-past-the-prime feeling about it evident in some of the decor, wardrobe and music choices, we found the show to be somewhat entertaining. We'll be coming back for season two.

Who says there's no tiki on Fantasy Island? :)

Now as for The Love Boat, we're working on it!

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2014-04-30 18:53 ]

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2014-04-30 18:55 ]

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2016-03-20 20:39 ]

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2016-03-21 12:46 ]

PP

great thread!!
are they eating at the Regal Beagle ???

On 2014-04-30 18:48, mike and marie wrote:

The magic doesn't happen until episode 7. Then, with the sound of waterfalls from walkway overhangs above, is a brief site of something that should capture the attention of any tikiphile:

Tiki credit for anyone who can name the place and location. It still looks more or less the same today (at least on the outside), but it's currently endangered:

I'm going to guess Pieces of Eight in Marina Del Rey, which became Shanghai Reds and is now Whiskey Reds? (So lame :roll: )

I'm going to guess Pieces of Eight in Marina Del Rey, which became Shanghai Reds and is now Whiskey Reds? (So lame :roll: )

Boris, your next drink's on us! We've never seen the interior of Pieces of Eight and wonder if any of it was captured on film, or used for filming for anything else. It changed so much with Shanghai Reds and now ... Whiskey Reds? Doesn't sound like it's getting any better.

Thanks, with this little bit of chatter and with the proposed redevelopment of the Marina something will turn up. Most likely in a before and after type thing but then we'll get to see the inside.

Pages: 1 33 replies