Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Flying Bridge Oceanside, going, going...

Pages: 1 8 replies

Ahoy everyone I hate posting this type of info but if anyone wants to see a cool mid century structure (and interior last time I checked) better get over to North San Diego County quick. The Flying Bridge in Oceanside (just off freeway 5) is closing it's doors Sunday, apparently Southern California needs another 200+ room Hyatt more than important architectural relics. It used to be a Coffee Dans (coffee shop)+ the Flying Bridge the interior is like a ships bridge and it impressively juts out over the valley. It has been compromised over the past few years but over all it is in pretty good shape.

If you saw my Tiki talk at the 07 Oasis you know the building and now you know why I encouraged everyone there to take a look, it was too good to survive.
A couple of photos from my talk below,

Bosko

Whats happening with the interior and signs?

T

What a shame.

When I was a kid in the early 1970s, my family used to eat here for lunch as dad drove our Pace Arrow motor home from Huntington Beach to Mission Bay in San Diego. Kinda like a half-way point rest stop for us.

I've always loved Googie style buildings and this place is very cool, especially the view of the ocean, the freeway bridges etc.

I'm really sad to hear this landmark of my youth is slated for removal :(

Hilton Hotel = bunch of "a" holes :evil:

Thanks Bosko for the heads up. I may have to take a drive south this Sunday...

I just spotted this in today's paper - looks like there's one last chance to visit this week.

UNION-TRIBUNE

November 4, 2008

Oceanside restaurant to stay open a bit longer

OCEANSIDE: The landmark Flying Bridge Restaurant in Oceanside has received a one-week reprieve. It now will be open through Sunday.

The restaurant, at 1105 N. Coast Highway, had been scheduled to close last Sunday.

Owners Ron and Jan Des Rosiers, however, said the turnout was so strong for the Flying Bridge's final week that they decided to extend its life a few more days to accommodate all the customers who want to dine there before it closes.

The restaurant overlooks the San Luis Rey River, the Oceanside Marina and the Pacific Ocean.

Ron Des Rosiers said the extended time also will give the restaurant's 37 employees a week's more work.

The property owner wants to raze the restaurant to make room for a Hyatt Place Hotel. –L.S.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20081104-9999-1m4b2briefs.html

very sad,
I went there about 6 times this year to see surf,and Jazz bands on Friday evenings.
Then I heard about the closing, and The Creepy Creeps playing there last thurs. Night for a Halloween party, So JonPual and I went down there for that.
cool about one more week, sad about tearing it down for a hotel.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

... going, going..... reopened!

http://nctimes.com/articles/2009/01/15/news/coastal/oceanside/z5b20c950642098798825753f0062932d.txt

I might actually go there more often than I used to. I love mediterranean.

Reminds me of the old Sambos restaurant (outside)

Hmmmmm I really liked the food the used to have.
I'm not crazy about Exotic food, but I will give it a try.

I wonder if they will have the Jazz and surf bands back there?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Well that is great news but I wonder how much of this has to do with the economy and not wanting to have another new half empty hotel, hopefully they won't level it the moment things pick up.
The cuisine sounds a little more challenging that the old menu, I'm not a big fan of cold beef tongue but who knows?

Bosko

Pages: 1 8 replies