Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hula girl motion lamps

Pages: 1 30 replies

Does anybody know of a good place (online) to purchase Hula girl motion lamps? I prefer them to have a bronze/vintage look, not brightly painted. I bought my brother one about 10 years ago and he broke it, so I'm looking to find him a knew one for Xmas.

Are you looking for vintage or reproduction?
If you are looking for vintage- I buy ,sell and collect them.
Mahalo-Trader Bill

Reproduction. My brother has a habit of breaking stuff, so buying a vintage one would probably be a disaster. I assume the repro's are a lot cheaper, so it wont be as bad if it breaks.

My wife and I went on to this store while on the Big Island in March.

http://www.hulalamps.com/

He had a good collection of both new and vintage hula lamps.

Be ready to spend, as the cheapest one we saw in the store was $895, shade NOT included.

L

I got both of mine from here and love them.

http://www.dahawaiistore.com/lamps.html

G
gonzo posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2008 9:26 AM

While you guys are talking. I have two of the old lamps and I fixed one with parts I ordered from a guy in Hawaii. I wanted to fix the other and alas the guy no longer sells the parts. I need the gears in the top end and a hula skirt. Is anyone selling these any more?

Thanks
Dave

There are several people in Hawaii that deal with and sell parts.Is your hula
lamp a Dodge Spelter headache style.Knowing the style and mfg. helps greatly.
I can research it for you.

M
Murph posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2008 5:49 PM

I ordered one of the 54" Hula Motion Lamps from these guys and was really happy!
http://hawaiiankinestuff.com
You should have seen my wife's eyes when that package got delivered :D

G
gonzo posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2008 1:58 PM

Yes its the dodge spelter headache style. I havent seen parts available in a while. Thanks
Dave

Gonzo ,not my ebay auction but this guy is in So Cal and sounds like
he knowS how to repair and get parts for these vintage hula lamps.
I would contact this guy about parts.Good luck.Please let me know
if he was helpful.I can always use more resources for hula lamps.
Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Vintage-1930s-Dancing-Hula-Girl-Lamp-Palms-Up_W0QQitemZ180303290364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180303290364&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I got a hula lamp from a friend years ago and have tried to find out more about it. It looks alot like the Dodge lamps that I often see, but the base is a brown bakelite material with a Sessions clock movement. Has anyone seen one like this before? I have a couple photos posted here:

http://www.solomonson.net/Images/hula.lamp.jpg

Thanks for looking and any help you can give me.

Craig

You mean like this ??? What do you want to know?
I sent a PM- but no response

The antique style lamps, which are spelter or white metal are considered pretty fragile because the white metal is not particularly strong. Many of the Dodge lamps on eBay are often repaired or broken but there seems to be a few people out there specializing in repairing them.

Of the repros, the vast majority that I know of are painted resin. I've seen these painted a bronze color as well, but they definitely don't look like the antique kind.

I did at one time purchase a hula lamp through eBay that was a Charles Moore creation (see hulalamps.com or Hula Lamps of Hawaii for more info). These lamps in my opinion, are superior in construction to all other repros and the old Dodge types as well. His lamps are cast bronze and are more like a fine art sculpture as opposed to strictly a table lamp per se, but he does have a couple of styles that resemble the old Dodge style. Plus his mechanisms are quiet and very smooth. You can also purchase his lamps with various shade styles, all of which are very nicely detailed and not cheap looking like the resin styles. Retail, these lamps go for about $900 I think, but occasionally they pop up on eBay. I bought mine for about $400 and it was in perfect shape.

Here's one on eBay (not my auction) that's a little nicked up, but is in the old Dodge style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Limited-Edition-Bronze-Hula-Lamp-Iwalani_W0QQitemZ320325082849QQihZ011QQcategoryZ35803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[ Edited by: quickiki 2008-12-15 11:28 ]

Charles Moore does nice work, however the skirts and shades are not even close
to replicating the originals.For $900 I would rather own or buy vintage.
Here are several examples of Hula lamps I have bought and sold over the years.
The pictures not necessarily depicting the correct shades in each picture.

Aloha- Trader Bill

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-12-17 12:41 ]

WOW! Surf, those are some great lamps! How many did you keep?

I have a few , and several for sale .

Here are several more I currently own .Dodge Spelter head ache style late 30's hula lamps.
Both have been Ul re-wired matching cords for that period ,and custom Koolee made shades
in raw tea dyed silk with vintage NOS chenille fringe trim in olive green.I need to take better
pics,I am not pleased with these, but for right now these will have to do.The lamp with
clock has a bakelite base and much more rare.I know someone had posted on TC about
a year ago that they found one , can't remember who it was.

SOLD..... SOLD..... SOLD on 5-21-10

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-06-03 18:09 ]

Mahalos ...Dodge Spelter hula lamp SOLD 5-21-10.
On it's way to Maui-Hawaii .Aloha !!!

needs retored ,but everything works.

Lots of $$$ to make that lamp proper , and authentic.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-05-23 21:54 ]

On 2010-05-23 21:51, 1961surf wrote:
Lots of $$$ to make that lamp proper , and authentic.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-05-23 21:54 ]

How do you figure that?
Share.

First the shade is all wrong .Look at the shade on my lamps, those are period correct
shades.They are custom made one at a time, and they are not cheap.The lamp needs to be
taken apart and then the metal polished out so the patina looks just right.Then you
want to check gears, lubricate etc.Install a silk wrapped cord always looks nice with
the right type of plug end.It takes time and money to make these lamps right.
PM me if you have any questions.

YEA, I know about the shade . It's from an old WITCO lamp I've got.A little
overbearing, chosen for a big old chunky hunk of chain sawed wood,not a half naked hula girl.It was just temp. for the pic.
None of the rest seems all that cost prohibitive though.I have polished a few intricate items before in my life,(vintage British motor cycles) ,I think I can handle that.
If the lamp is not going to be sold ,and just sit on a table in the corner of one of my tiki bars,(and wiggle her little ass off), I'm sure I can find a production shade that will serve just fine,until a real one comes along,and they always do.
But hey, thanks for the offer help if I run into problems.

another question;
is there a significance to the arms being up or down?
I've noticed that more of the bronze lamps are up with FEW being down.
or is that just a fluke of the selected pics?
not just your collection ,but through out ebay and the internet.
just some do and some don't?

No TikiDavid there were different styles by different mfg.Actually your hands down versin
is a little more rare then the headache style lamps .

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-05-26 17:52 ]

This would be considered one of the holy grailles of vintage hula lamps .
I need to take some better pics so you can see the detail in the base
with the sessions clock.Definitely one of the more rare models .

On 2010-07-06 21:11, 1961surf wrote:
This would be considered one of the holy grailles of vintage hula lamps .
I need to take some better pics so you can see the detail in the base
with the sessions clock.Definitely one of the more rare models .

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/7104/4c33fe1b.jpg)  

[/quote

Hi, Do you know of anyone who repairs the motor on these lamps?

On 2010-03-22 17:26, 1961surf wrote:
Here are several more I currently own .Dodge Spelter head ache style late 30's hula lamps.
Both have been Ul re-wired matching cords for that period ,and custom Koolee made shades
in raw tea dyed silk with vintage NOS chenille fringe trim in olive green.I need to take better
pics,I am not pleased with these, but for right now these will have to do.The lamp with
clock has a bakelite base and much more rare.I know someone had posted on TC about
a year ago that they found one , can't remember who it was.

SOLD..... SOLD..... SOLD on 5-21-10

This is the lamp that I have that stopped working. Does anyone know who repairs the motors?

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-06-03 18:09 ]

Hi,
I have a Dodge headache style hula lamp that recently stopped working.
Does anyone know who can repair the motor?

I received your PM and sent you one back craigtiki .

I have a Dodge, but the skirt is shorter than I've seen on others. Are Dodge lamps from the 30's or 40's, and what can anyone tell me about the skirts being different lengths from one lamp to the next?

Pages: 1 30 replies