Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Gecko / Paipo "Paipo Island" PAGE 3!!!

Pages: 1 34 replies

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 2, 2008 5:46 PM

After many months of emails and subsequent technical troubleshooting on Gecko's part, we are finally ready to roll the Moai Tangata Manu off the production line at South Sea Arts. This has been an incredibly difficult design to execute, and unfortunately the numbers will be fairly low due to the labour involved - I will announce any updates as the mugs are made. I think Gek has done an incredible job in producing what I hope will be the first of many mugs based on my carvings.

This is the very first one out of the mold, and is done in a beautiful mottled brown vintage style glaze. The body is satin, with a slight gloss on the headdress portion:

Check it out here!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-12-14 02:41 ]

[ Edited by: Paipo 2009-01-09 12:54 ]

LT

Wow, That's great! Will these be available on his website or will it be an eBay only item?

Wow, very nice!

:D A Beauté! A dream realized Paipo...killah glaze too! :D

Congratulations Paipo! The mug completely captures the artistry of your carvings. Can't wait to see what else is coming.

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Nov 2, 2008 9:45 PM

YAY Paipo!! Congratulations!!

Great work Gecko! I love the glaze, I've been lately playing with a couple similar.

I want one! Is that enough to get on a list?

L
Liana posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2008 2:29 AM

Wow!! That is awesome!! With a quick glance it kinda looks like Elvis.. :P

Liana.

Nice job Paipo & Gec, great glaze too, looking forward to seeing some ltd glazes too? kudos guys!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2008 10:51 PM

On 2008-11-02 17:53, LOL Tiki wrote:
Wow, That's great! Will these be available on his website or will it be an eBay only item?

On 2008-11-02 21:45, Babalu wrote:

I want one! Is that enough to get on a list?

At this stage, unfortunately it will be ebay only. The "regular" edition, which we're still working out, will still be pretty low numbers - in the dozens I believe. We are looking at using a similar glaze combo as the Mt Bumatay for that run (or is that the APs?), which I absolutely love - a stone look with trickle contrast, but perhaps using cool colours like the old Blue Mountain/beauce glazes in lieu of the yellow & orange lava look, or maybe some of each. I expect Gek will probably be doing a few wild one-offs as well...

Originally a larger open run was on the cards and it may still happen if the response is strong enough. I don't have a lot of control over the manufacturing side of things - other than my design and some input on the glaze selections, Gecko is doing all the hard work himself, and this is not an easy mug to make! I would love to hook you guys up with a special TC edition at a flat price, but at this point it would just be too much hassle for Gecko, who is only one guy and has far more important work to do ( like making his incredible bowls). We are still keeping our options open though, so watch this space. Many thanks for all the kind comments!
:tiki:

S
squid posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2008 11:03 PM

Beautiful teamwork you guys! I love this one!

LT

On 2008-11-03 22:51, Paipo wrote:
At this stage, unfortunately it will be ebay only. The "regular" edition, which we're still working out, will still be pretty low numbers - in the dozens I believe. We are looking at using a similar glaze combo as the Mt Bumatay for that run (or is that the APs?), which I absolutely love - a stone look with trickle contrast, but perhaps using cool colours like the old Blue Mountain/beauce glazes in lieu of the yellow & orange lava look, or maybe some of each. I expect Gek will probably be doing a few wild one-offs as well...

Originally a larger open run was on the cards and it may still happen if the response is strong enough. I don't have a lot of control over the manufacturing side of things - other than my design and some input on the glaze selections, Gecko is doing all the hard work himself, and this is not an easy mug to make! I would love to hook you guys up with a special TC edition at a flat price, but at this point it would just be too much hassle for Gecko, who is only one guy and has far more important work to do ( like making his incredible bowls). We are still keeping our options open though, so watch this space. Many thanks for all the kind comments!
:tiki:

Well, if you and Gek are gauging the response I've got two arms waving! :D I think the Bumatay glaze would be a great option for that mug, with or without the trickle contrast. The guy's such a master when it comes to glaze work I'm sure you two can come up with countless offerings (maybe even a limited edition mug/pendant combo).

O

Paipo, just saw this, what a beauty. Congrats!

H

Sweet Mother of Moai! That rocks! It's slick, classy, modern, yet old-school all in one package. Congrats to you Paipo on you first mug venture. A mug gig w/ Gecko's gotta be a good thang, you guys are gonna be sellin' out fast fo' sho'! Maybe I'll get lucky...

M

Wow, nice mug and great glaze. Any work when they will be available?

Really cool Paip! It's your own mug, SWEET!

great job!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-11-07 12:40 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 11:18 AM

Bumpy-bump - less than 6 hours to go. Still pretty cheap buying at this stage! good luck!

We thought this was a perfect design. Gecko's also our good friend. It will go into Dan's jungle room which you can view on http://www.claytikis.com. Look under the section A Serious Hobby. When it arrives here I'll post a photo of it's final place, thank you, Wendy and Dan

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 10:34 PM

Thanks Wendy! I was kinda hoping I'd find out where this one ended up, just out of idle curiosity. Aside from Babalu's Creature Fogcutter (which was never intended for sale) this is the very first Paipo mug to hit the market so far, and definitely won't be the last. Gek was good enough to offer this one to me, but I'm holding out for a particular glaze we're brainstorming on and figured his regular collectors would have more interest in the test glaze. Looking forward to seeing him in his new home!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 10:35 PM

PS thanks to everyone else too for the very enthusiastic and positive response to this mug!

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Nov 10, 2008 10:09 AM

It is mugs like that, that make me wish I could win the lottery, nothing to big, but just enough millions that I could compete for the beautiful and special ones that come along on occasion. LOL!

CA

hoe' sheeeeeeeee..it, there goes the neighborhood......

i hate it when talent moves in.... the collections just got a whole lot better looking

B

This one slipped by, Way COOL Mug Paipo, Gotta be one of the best around., lets see some more.

H
harro posted on Fri, Nov 14, 2008 6:17 AM

What a way to start your Mug career Paipo - very original and cool design.

look forward to seeing more.

The mug is now displayed within Dan's collection. It's a great design. You and Gecko make a great team. He's my partner too! Wendy

P

Wow, that guy just slots in there with all those vintage (I think?) pieces...very cool Wendy. You guys should take a few weeks off and put all your stuff up on Ooga Mooga!
We have some more mugs coming very soon - I'm doing the tags here and sending them on to Gecko as I always like getting the little signed cards with my mugs, and always provide one with my carvings. I just finished the design last night so it will be printed and posted in a couple of days. I'll make sure everyone who already got a mug gets one to go with it. I think the "regular" LE will have a pendant cast from the original included too.
Thanks again!

LT

Will there be any sort of announcement/notification prior to the release of the new mugs?

P

Yes - I will keep updating this thread as Gecko gets them made and post links to the auctions. We are still looking at trying to get a larger open edition done at a later point if the response is strong enough, but it will be ebay only in the meantime as Gek is doing all of these by himself.

LT

An open edition would be great; I'd be surprised if one didn't sell out quickly. Maybe start with a small run of 20 or 30.

Your design did fit in beautifully with all those vintage mugs. Dan is totally into the art of display. He works every spare minute to arrange his tiki shelves. It keeps him on his feet, sometimes for hours.

We are looking forward to the final color choice. You can never have too many of a good tiki. Wendy

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Dec 14, 2008 2:39 AM

Here's the #1/25 of the "regular"(?) edition:
CLICK ME
I made some personally signed cards to go with these (which have now arrived in Hawaii) and each of this edition will also come with a resin pendant cast from my original pebble carving!

H
harro posted on Sun, Dec 14, 2008 5:41 AM

that dark glaze is very cool!

Whoa daddy! Way to go man.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2009 12:53 PM

Check out this awesome one-off diorama style piece!
I got an island named after me!

GT

Very Nice, Great job you guys!

Pages: 1 34 replies