Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Swingin Tikis & The Lap Steel Duo, Nov 15th, in Long Beach to Benefit Surfrider Foundation

Pages: 1 4 replies

M

NOV 15 - BREAKWATER BASH!

Surfrider Foundation Long Beach Chapter's 2nd Annual Breakwater Bash is happening Saturday, November 15, 2008 7PM-midnight at Smooth's Sports Grille (144 Pine). $10 per person to benefit our "Sink the Breakwater & Restore the Shore" campaign.

We're celebrating the 70th anniversary of the 1938 Surfing & Paddleboard Championships - the first national surfing championship ever - held in Long Beach way, way before our City Council voted us "The Aquatic Capital of America" and when there were waves in Long Beach. Two fabulous local music groups - the Lap Steel Duo and Swingin' Tikis - will rock the crowd and set the mood to celebrate surfing history in Long Beach.

We're proudly celebrating this event with the Long Beach Jr. Chamber of Commerce, one of the original co-sponsors of the Surfing & Paddleboard Championship way back in 1938, along with The District Weekly and Smooth's Sports Grille.

Smooth's will be featuring a special Surfrider dinner menu and 10% of the meal will be donated to Surfrider Foundation in Long Beach.

The Surfrider Foundation's Long Beach Chapter is set to have their Breakwater Bash! on Saturday, November 15th at Smooth's Sports Grille in downtown Long Beach. 7pm 'til midnight.

All proceeds go to the Surfrider Foundation - Long Beach Chapter.

The purpose of this very special event is to raise funds and continue outreach and education for our ongoing campaign to restore the shore in Long Beach by reconfiguring the Long Beach Breakwater.

This event is open to the public - $10 at the door.

Smooth's Sports Grille
144 Pine Ave. Long Beach, CA. 90802

Validated Parking can be found at 133 Broadway in "The Promenade" (around the corner from Smooth's, on the back side of the same building) AND at the building on Pacific between 1st & Broadway (the backside of the block across the street)

CA

tiki before tiki! the swingin tikis!!!
save the date!

Dont sleep on this people, this is part of Crazy Al's roots!

While at Art Center, Al would meet future APE band mate Eric Rindal. Eric was a fellow classmate who helped cement Tiki into Al’s life. Eric was in an old-school surf band, The Swingin’ Tikis. The band wore old Hawaiian shirts, jackets and small Tiki necklaces. Al
started going to their shows and this is where he acquired his “Crazy Al” moniker. “The band would play the song Wipe Out and I would go off and do this wild dance. They would always play the song, and I would always do that crazy dance,
and before you knew it they started referring to me as Crazy Al. The nickname has stuck ever since.” The Swingin’ Tikis also provided Al with his first opportunity to do Tiki carvings. He created wood Tiki necklaces for the band. This would lead to Al's first major 'Tiki Prodject'. One of Eric's final Art Center assignments was to mix the talents of Graphic Design, Illustration, Photography etc... in a joint project. Eric chose to do "album art" for the Swingin' Tikis based on his drawing of
little tiki-men band members. "I had now switched to a 3D illustration style," Al remarks, "and did one of my sculpted wood dioramas for Eric's project. It had a Tiki Island theme with real, miniature Lagoon and King Kong "Swingin' Tiki Wall". Fellow student Mitch Tobias, also now in APE, photographed my illustration. It ended up in the School Gallery."

TM

Dominic Tucci!!!!!

Just a heads up to everyone. The "Red Bull Formula Drift" competition is in town and taking over Pine Ave. Last night they had all the cars on display and packed into "Smooths"....so, don't get mad if you see a lot of Race Fans around the bar Saturday night....( They're rather cool folks)

Pages: 1 4 replies